|
Author Topic:   TreadMarks Update!!!
peeeto
posted April 30, 2001 05:03 PM         
woohoo! check this out, guys! http://www.treadmarks.com/screenshots.html
3D trees and moving treads!

great work, Jim & all at LDA! we're looking forward to the next release!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 30, 2001 05:26 PM            
one word. beta-beta-beta. oh thats 3 words

IP:

blandy
posted April 30, 2001 05:56 PM            
WOW!! now thats cool! I wish I had a beta comp coz mines ****!! Voodoo 6 with 1GHz or beta CPU with 128MB RAM or more would kick-ass!! 17" or bigger monitor would..... well........ what can I say?????
http://icb.cjb.net

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted April 30, 2001 06:23 PM            
YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Commander and Chief of Smiley Kingdom

IP:

Kaeto
posted April 30, 2001 06:25 PM            
Sweetness!

Is the terrain resolution being increased? Even if you had to scale it down for some machines, 4 or 16 times the terrain detail would make TM absolutely STUNNING.

IP:

Kaeto
posted April 30, 2001 07:22 PM            
By terrain detail, I meant terrain texture detail...

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted April 30, 2001 07:44 PM            
dont forget guys, by pushing the textures up in res you put more strain on the gfx cards - that means less fps and a more powerful gfx card to play smoothly.

that said Gforce 3 just took a massive nosedive in price and were not that far away from the Gforce 4 with hardware ray-tracing !

i would howver be pleased to see a move from the BMP format since this is a huge filetype ! and i think would be better as gifs maybe; besides which you have the added flexibility of transprency that BMP wont allow.

other than that the shots look awesome - now lets see things id really like to see.

A Real sun with proper realtime lensflare.

5 part tanks that have the ability to cloak and morph into other tanks

Tanks that change actually in the game !

A big Mr Stay Puft roaming accross the landscape

Monoliths that actually come to life and chase you around the maps !

A pick up/ put down object key !

support for Direct X 12

Built in comms via Roger Wilco

The ability to create your own tank classes other than just metal and liquid.

Add a decoy shooter for the cruise missile !

pups all the way to the edge of closed maps

A bit of code that figures out what your gfx card can do and adds live animals like frogs and birds for added realism using the spare poly count youre not using !

Landmines

Spewers that fire sideways

A television in the middle of the map receiving realtime television via REAL PLAYER just in case someone is sad enuff or too chicken to fight !

Aircraft

Tunnels (could a mesh be used 4 this ?)

Multi weapon pickup like quake !

peoples webcams streaming them live to thir flags

in tank camera or cameras on the front of the tank to give you that FULL SCREEN effect !

oh yeah - and 3 smurfs running after the lowest scoring tank would be cool

** this is a job for X-Box ** L M F A O !

"Thats no moon, Its a spacestation !"

-=[/2]=- www.deathmatch-federation.com

IP:

Kaeto
posted April 30, 2001 09:23 PM            
quote:
dont forget guys, by pushing the textures up in res you put more strain on the gfx cards

With S3TC, my 32 meg Radeon could handle terrain textures that are 16 times more detailed no sweat, and I'd see almost no performance difference - possibly an FPS increase in some situations! On cards that couldn't handle it, you'd simply scale down the terrain textures - something TM already does with all the other textures.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted April 30, 2001 09:24 PM            
Smileys and nods head

------------------

IP:

JVortex
posted April 30, 2001 09:47 PM            
holy crap batman!!! thats a transparent flag! much happiness from my general direction.

I WANT TO BETA!!!

[This message has been edited by JVortex (edited April 30, 2001).]

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 01, 2001 01:10 AM            
beta

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

Karldar
posted May 01, 2001 02:26 AM            
Kewl!!

*cough* beta! *cough*

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Dreamer
posted May 01, 2001 03:44 AM         
I think that, should LDA decide that beta testing is required, they will announce that without everyone screaming "beta".

Now here's what I dream of for the next and all future versions of TM (and other LDA games):

Make them available in the EU. It's way too expensive to buy a game from the states for us over here and way too complicated and time-consuming a process.
Even though you're claiming it should be, there is no TM to be found in any of the larger german stores - most have never even heard of Kellas Interactive and don't keep them in their databases.

3D trees? that's what I suggested over 1 1/2 years ago, if I remember right - seems it was one of Seumas dreams, too, but at that time, average gaming computers simply could not handle that kind of load >>> Seems only natural for TM to have them now.

Moving treads? Nice.

Matrix-> Multi Boltons? In one of the announcements a few weeks(?) ago, Jim(?) said they were looking into that.

Something else: You wouldn't consider "terrain properties" such as "concrete","mud","sand",etc., would you, LDA? Like in mud the tread marks would be very deep and the tanks slowed down and on concrete there could be vibrations making it harder to aim at high speeds or the like ...

Falling damage might be cool, too.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted May 01, 2001 04:03 AM            
Don't forget the basic storyline of TM.A bunch of robotic tanks fighting on various planets because they are tired off all the BS happening on Earth.(at least I think thats the story,I remember reading it somewhere )
So I don't know about some of the stuff some people want to add(like adding a earth-like environment........Oh well,who needs to follow the captivating storyline anyway Hey,there are sheep on one of the maps anyway
Oh yeah,LDA.........keep it up!I love good suprises.

IP:

peeeto
posted May 01, 2001 07:44 AM         
that's a great idea, Dreamer - and doesn't seem like it would be that hard to implement.

another idea i think would be interesting is to be able to define how much certain portions of the terrain could be deformed. for example, nukes would make big holes in sand, but not have that much of an effect on bedrock.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 01, 2001 07:56 AM         
I think we all agree with what Supe is really asking for ....Cutscenes!!!
Okay, maybe not. But the increased graphic realism is great - it will keep TM looking new without (hopefully) taking away from m-player gameplay. It is good to see where LDA has been putting their energies.

I would like to see little things like enhanced kill animation, maybe visual changes to the tanks for events like rank changes and kills. This could be either or only changes to the map for change in rank - maybe the top 3 and bottom 3 players or enemies can be marked on the map. This would allow you to decide between which enemy blip you wnat to take on - you can hunt the leader and spare newbies - newbies can also go for people in their skill range and probably have more fun.

Also, maybe new mod capabilities like team weapons (i.e. clothesline or crossing the beams). I like the idea of minor tank damage from falls or collisions (imagine booming someone into the air w. the m-driver and having them shatter when they finally meet the ground).

How about an enemy/home flag arrow for CTF.

Anyroad, kudos to LDA for continued innovations

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited May 01, 2001).]

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 01, 2001 12:37 PM         
I was thinking about some solutions to the mod incompatibility, mulitple mod server problem:

How about adding download capability to the server synch process + multiple, ip addressed addon folders. That is , if you go to a site that you don't have the mods for, it has an option in the synch process to creat a server dedicated addon folder to store .ent, model,and texture files. Then it has some sort of directory file that allows it to quick synch the addon directory when you connect at a later date and only update new/changed files. Along with this could be a tank-option menu item that allows you to select addon directory for single player games (an extension of the weapon type selection option). This would eliminate all of the synching problems that new people have when they go to the modded sites. Of course, the downside is HD space and slow download times (maybe only an option on high bandwith servers).

Also, I would really like to be able to see the names of people playing without having to join the game - especially if the game starts to take off again.

I think this would make it much easier and user friendly for newbies and regulars alike. Comments?

IP:

Dreamer
posted May 01, 2001 03:33 PM         
In principle it should be possible to retrieve the names of the playeres even now - joining and leaving players show up in the server logs. If LDA provided an interface to them, there should be few problems with retrieving the names of the players (at least for the better programmers among us). Another possibility might be that a server could not just be pinged from the main screen but, when selected (not joined) from the main TM server selection screen, queried for the current players. That way, the netload wouldn't be that high and those packets could go out as lowest priority.

IP:

peeeto
posted May 01, 2001 06:10 PM         
LDA - don't forget to make all objects destructible, to add the ability to drive over meshes (for bridges & ramps), and to add a SecondaryMesh capability for the RaceTank entities so we can put propellers on our hovercraft tanks!

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted May 01, 2001 06:26 PM            
I just got an idea tell me watcha think. How bout some site where all the mods r stored, sound familer? anyway, in TM you can go in and select these mods and have TM download them right into add ons, very easy for newberries Though all the mods would have to have the same format. Such as going right into add ons instead of tm folder......etc

------------------

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted May 01, 2001 09:02 PM            
Truly cool pics of the new 3D work. Knew it was coming but did not know how soon. If you do turn out betas count me in. I enjoyed the last one and would surely enjoy the upcoming one if you have one. As to new future features. Look at the others suggestions, then pick the best and most reasonable to implement with a minds eye to where you want to go in the future. You have done a good job in the past and I am sure you will continue in the future. As for me others covered most of my thoughts and I do not need to reiterate them. Keep up the good work - it does look greeeeeaaatttt!!!!!!!

IP:

Dreamer
posted May 02, 2001 09:09 AM         
Peeeto -> vertical collision detection for meshes is a _good_ idea, not entirely original, but _good_
But if they're going to implement moving treads, your propellers should pose no big problem.

IP:

A2597
posted May 02, 2001 11:56 AM            
I better sign up for Bete as well, I CLAIM THE 3RD BETA SPOT!!!

Awsome work LDA!!!

------------------
--===BOOM===--

IP:

JVortex
posted May 03, 2001 01:07 PM            
im still voting for a taunt key. hit a button and your tank spouts off something rude and threatening to someone nearby, hehe.

IP:

Rex R
posted May 04, 2001 02:35 AM            
I still think recoil would be nice(specially on the moon)

IP: