|
Author Topic:   LDA: Suggestion
Random Chaos
posted April 26, 2001 03:46 PM            
You mentioned an upgrade between V1.01 and V1.59 in your post Jim. I'd suggest you have two download files.

File 1: Upgrades all game systems from 1.01 to 1.59 - just don't include the unchanged files.
File 2: If TM is installed, will install the new music for 1.5x.

I know a lot of people that don't listen to the included music and use their own instead. Also, as I recall the music, maps, objects, and bmps are the largest portions of the files. Since only the CTF files and some intro bmps have change other then music, make sure you don't include the unchanged LWO, LUV, BMP, and VED files in that update - the update should then not be much larger then the 1.54 to 1.59 update I'd think. Keeping the music in a seperate download would take away more than half the size of the download needed to play.

--RC

IP:

JVortex
posted April 26, 2001 03:59 PM            
on that same note, could a small conversion program be included in the updater that just changes the existing music files from wav format to mp3? that way u wouldnt need to d load new music at all.

i think that theyre all the same tunes arent they? just different formats?

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

Vlad
posted April 26, 2001 04:43 PM            
Hey JVortex, I've got a dos MP3 encoder I could send you if you're interested. It's not the fanciest thing in the world (it's all command line based).

IP:

JVortex
posted April 26, 2001 05:42 PM            
oh, i wouldnt have the slightes idea how to even start to impliment something like that into an updater. i already have 1.5.9 running anyhow. im just spittin ideas out it all.

besides... as Rex can tall ya im a lost little puppy when it comes to command line calls

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted April 27, 2001 01:46 AM            
command line - command line - did someone utter the magic words

ive not seen a c:\>deltree windows /u for ages let alone a $ unix prompt or a grep command in the c' shell.

yeah baby yeah !

-=[/2]=- www.dnxworld.com

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted April 27, 2001 04:51 PM            
Matrix - grep in a "c" shell. How long have you been out of unix. Very few people use a "c" shell anymore. More current is the korn shell or most current is the posix shell which is replacing the old standard bourne shell. Lord talk about out of step with the times. You do some great work on your site so how can you even mention the "c" shell (late nights howling at the moon I guess!!!) HaHa - thanks for the memories......

IP:

bobbers
posted April 28, 2001 11:13 AM         
TM's original music was reduced to 16 bit 22.05 khz mono .wav files to allow for space on the CD. The nice thing about the new version is the original 16 bit, 44.1khz stereo .wav files were used to create the MP3's. Although the music is the same you are hearing more of the intended stereo pans and a better quality audio. That being said there are conversion programs out there for free. Jukebox is one of them, also Audio Magic Ring.

Smoke me a clipper, I'll be back for christmas.
Bobbers

IP: