This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Tread Marks Upgrades
LDA
Administrator
posted April 25, 2001 06:09 AM            
I'm going to look through the files to see how large an exe will have to be to upgrade version 1.0.1 to version 1.5.9 through a free download...

We'll also plan to release a new demo with net play enabled.

We're kinda swamped at the moment, so don't expect this to happen before the beginning of next week.

Jim

IP:

peeeto
posted April 25, 2001 07:20 AM         
hi Jim - please don't forget to partially disable the demo , or people will never upgrade!

imho, a couple of things you really should consider for the demo are
1) do NOT allow users to run their own servers (if that's even possible..?)
2) to somehow make it so that a full version server can block demo players if the server op chooses

then, we'll just make sure that there is at least one demo-enabled server running at all times!

IP:

swisher
posted April 25, 2001 09:21 AM            
Thank you, Jim, and LDA.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

Ron371
posted April 25, 2001 10:54 AM            
Thank you so much for that info. I will be waiting patiently for my upgrade.

The demo is what got me to buy the game. Without the demo then we get no new players. The more people that play the game and tell there friends. The more players we get and more people will buy the game. We all benefit from the demo.

Once again Thank you. THANK YOU. This info has made my day.

Keep up the good work.

IP:

Dreamer
posted April 25, 2001 11:01 AM         
yup, 1k thx, LDA. can't wait to see TM2, though.

You could introduce kind of a checksum test for each file that comes with the demo to keep ppl from modding the demo... how about that?

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited April 25, 2001).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted April 25, 2001 12:45 PM            
CHECKSUM, now theres a term ive not heard since my Hex-edit days on the amiga ! lol

yes theyre right jim.

No Server making for demo users.

Limit to 3 Tanks

Limit to 3 Maps

Set a time limit for the multiplayer protocol - say an hour a week or so, just enough to get a feel of what they are missing in the full version. Its not tough to set a veriable in C that is a countdown timer then redirects the output to a secondary protocol that single player only - maybe display a screen that says "online capability restored in 7 days" then start a countdown based on the system clock.

The guys r right, with full 1.5.9, multiplayer , 3 tanks and maps - they wont want the full version !!!

Tribes made that error, theres more ppl play the tribes demo than the actual game !

Good job they released Tribes 2 then lol.

-=[/2]=-

IP:

The Weatherman
posted April 25, 2001 12:58 PM         
What they said... + I am glad that there is going to be some multiplayer for the 1.59 demo - it really is good bait to catch some more players. The game will sell itself if we can get it in new people hands. With the mplayer demo, you can with good conscience kill the demo server - if that is under your control. If the new limited demo doesn't convivince the old demo players to lay their money down, TM just doesn't need them.
Thanks for what your are doing - this is the way to keep TM growing. I think you have the whole TM community behind you.

3 cheers for Jim and LDA!

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited April 25, 2001).]

IP:

Vlad
posted April 25, 2001 01:03 PM            
Wow! This is most certainly great news. It's nice to see that the whole "unified full version" idea may come to fruition.

Now, if we could just get the camera angles back (hint, hint)

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 25, 2001 03:36 PM            
anyone else curious about what exactly is swamping LDA, a new game perhaps? Got my curiosity piqued

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

Vlad
posted April 25, 2001 04:03 PM            
I rember reading a post by LDA on another thread on another board (the 3d modeling one, I think) saying that they were working on the PS2 version, and hinting at TM2.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 25, 2001 04:29 PM            
i remember that, but maybe theres something new.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted April 25, 2001 05:46 PM            
Kick A$$,I'm glad to hear it.Now to get a new timed demo going and remove the old demo server.Anybody up for a little e-mail campaign to NGI Maybe they would be interesting in removing the old demo and hosting the new.Anyboby have a URL for NGI?I think its in Italy(I hopa the speaka any Englisch )

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted April 25, 2001 07:33 PM            
umm ummmmm err hu huh !

Un Cerveca Por Favor !

best i can do lol...

-=[/2]=-

IP:

Hunter
posted April 25, 2001 08:11 PM            
Great news, Love to hear that there is going to be an upgrade patch. Finally, a chance to bring this community together and allow everyone to enjoy playing on the same game servers. Someone should start up a new clan made up of the people from the 1.0 version. That way we could go at it on 1.59 and it would be like fresh meat for everyone.

------------------
Stop the gibber jabber I got a Server =DNX=

IP:

JVortex
posted April 25, 2001 08:22 PM            
dont need to know any more than that Matrix!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted April 26, 2001 12:59 AM            
Jeez......I just tried to talk to the demo players about the upcoming events and they did verything but curse my mother.I can't get ti through their hard heads that things are changing for the better and that they need to purchase the game.I even mentioned about the possible free upgrade but everybody thought i was full of BS.I told them to come here and check it out,so they're may be a flow of demo people coming here the next few days.I'm just sorta pissed off that they are unwilling to support this game and go out and purchase a copy of downlaod a free upgrade if they have a older version.I spent like 20 minutes taking to one dude(who only has the demo and is a daily regualar to the demo servers)who said it wasn't worth it to buy a copy.Man!!thats servers needed to come down yesterday!Thse demo freaks think they have all they need in 1.01 demo.I told them about the full game and servers and all it had to offer,but I didn't have one person out of 10 humans say they would purchase the game.There is one ray of hope,he said he would spread the word to everybody.I'm just so pissed off at these people.If you have 1.5 or earlier installed.drop by 194.177.103.42 and chew these guys out!

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted April 26, 2001 01:19 AM            
I won't do anything until the new demo is available, but....

...email me any contact addresses of those sites running the old demo and I'll approach them about switching to the new demo when we have it available.

Jim

IP:

Nemzad
posted April 26, 2001 03:53 AM         
Thanks for the good news LDA!
I think a 30 day timed demo would solve the none buying problem.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted April 26, 2001 04:55 AM            
Thanks LDA,I think things will be great if the old demo derver comes down.I think the people that play there everyday won't budge a inch unless their little playland is flushed down the toliet.My post probablly dosen't reflect all of their views though.I know of some that have looked for the game and have had trouble finding it or some that aren't glad about the idea of purchasing a upgrade.Thats why I'm trying to get the word out
Keep up the good work LDA!I know this game will receive the recognition it deserves.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted April 26, 2001 04:56 AM            
Oh yeah, who has a way to contact NGI?I wasn't aware there was more than one demo server until coax brought it to my attention.Is the other NGI too?

IP:

Vlad
posted April 26, 2001 07:15 AM            
Actually, I just checked, and there's only one demo server (NGI) and one 1.0.1 full (Hallsted Game Room) server up. The homelan full servers vanished about a week ago. The only other demo server I ever see up with any sort of regularity is Sheldon's.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted April 26, 2001 03:31 PM            
Jim - what about LAN enabled but not internet enabled demo?

Good to see things progressing over there.

IP:

Karldar
posted April 26, 2001 03:44 PM            
Word!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted April 26, 2001 11:26 PM            
DEMO SERVER INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Homepage: http://www.ngi.it

Theres the homepage,but as I was afraid of, its all in Italian.I did manage to find the email page though:

staff@ngi.it

There ya go

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited April 26, 2001).]

IP:

Vlad
posted April 27, 2001 12:06 AM            
Of course, we could always use Babelfish to translate a message to NGI, but that may end up with an "All Your Base" type scenario.

For example:

"Please upgrade the Treadmarks server from version 1.0.1 to version 1.5.9, as the newer version represents the current game, and will promote more people to purchase the final game."

Then after being translated to Italian and back to English...

"To dawn I pray the serveur of Treadmarks from version 1,0,1 to version 1.5.9, while the newest version represents the game running and promoted more people in order to buy the final game. "

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2