|
Author Topic:   Netgames server poll
The Weatherman
posted April 23, 2001 02:09 PM         
Hey Y'all,
Malice at netgames has agreed to give us some servers. I was thinking an unmodded or classic server and a limited mod server. Maybe have 5 or so of everybody's favorite weapons mods - keeping the total number low so as to keep the chaos managable and the terrain modestly deformed

So go ahead and send in you favorite weapon, tanks, maps, and suggestions here and we can do an unscientific vote on what y'all would want to play on.

I personally would like to see the plasma wave cannon, CTF, and the Tron Tank. I also like smaller starting #s of AI but high limits on the # of humans.
I have an anti-vote for the Chaff master, and the mosquitos.

Also, Malice wants to know "what kind and also include a config for it and the jobs done". I don't know what the config and jobs are so I could really use somebody's help.

IP:

JL
posted April 23, 2001 03:35 PM            
I don't really care what mods are added as long as there not tracking one shot kill things.
I have a question though. How are you going to send the server stuff to them? Do they already have a cd of TM and all you need to do is send a mod package? Even if they have a cd it probly needs to be upgraded to the new version. Maybe someone from LDA could send them an updated cd.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 23, 2001 04:17 PM            
no chaff master and no mosquitos please.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 23, 2001 04:18 PM            
one server has to be classic DM, no junk at all. And tell them no race servers cause no one will use them, and no single CTF server just random CTF.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

The Weatherman
posted April 23, 2001 04:28 PM         
I think that Malice has a CD. Does anybody remeber if the old netgames servers were 1.59 ? I think, but am not sure, that they were. I will ask Karldar and Kasplatt to send their settings to Malice as I think their servers are currently the most popular modded and unmodded servers out there. We will have plenty of time to fine tune the settings to the community's liking (i.e. try to implement the poll for the mod server)

IP:

Random Chaos
posted April 23, 2001 06:15 PM            
He was running 1.59.

As for mods...hmm. I think everyone liked my Spire Maker back on the beta...JL, you have that right? Otherwise I'll have to figure out where I have that stored .

Oh - and JL - if you are EVER running the Mining Mod server, give me a message on ICQ! I really need play mining again .

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted April 23, 2001 09:38 PM            
Hmmm.........Don't care about the weapons.As long as there is at least one regular server with no mods.I can think of maps most do not like:Tank Luge and those freaky maps with the ground moving,sorry can't think of the names.There are several of them though(gives me a freak'n headache )

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted April 23, 2001 09:52 PM            
JL JL JL JL JL JL!!!!!!! Rember when i was still playing the demo dudy and you set up the TreadMarks in a microwave Server!! THAT WAS GREAT! just make a few cahnges and POOF!!!!!

------------------
Commander and Chief of Smiley Kingdom

IP:

JVortex
posted April 23, 2001 10:46 PM            
well i should have apparently posted here instead of in the other post. but it occurs to me i should ask, is the general verdict to have a (modified version?) mirror of the kasplattt server for Malice to run? plus whatever else.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

The Weatherman
posted April 23, 2001 10:59 PM         
Hey Guys,
Things sould like they are brewing up nicely. Because I really have no experience in making mods and server setup and we seem to have 2 very creative and responsive server jockies that appeal to both the modded and unmodded, may I suggest that JVortex (for Kasplatt) and Karldar take the helm on the servers that Malice @ netgames has said he would provide us. JVortex already sounds like he has contact w/Malice and I am waiting for Karldar to get back to me. Gents, if it is okay with you, please take it upon yourselves to do Modded and Unmodded polls and make the servers much like the excellent ones you already run I will be happy just to play!

For my other 2/100ths, I agree that the trippy boards should be ditched and please please please have an occasional CTF pop up.

As I said before, this community rules!

IP:

Rex R
posted April 24, 2001 01:32 AM            
I'm of a mind that (if possible) 2 servers 1server is straight (no mods) tm, and 1 with a FEW mods. jv's mods seem to work nicely so lets work with that (its conceivible that we could do changes l8r) do like the idea of the tank pak. (umm jv did you work on the bolt-on coords for the tanks in the dvsduke pak? there are a few that need changes) not overly fond of tank luge either (for dm, its ok for racing)

IP:

Skandranon
posted April 24, 2001 01:34 AM            
Hmm... the Plasma Wave Cannon is a must. As is the 240mm and the Mortar. Both of those are great (well... after I shortened the blast radius on the Mortar a bit).

And personally, I love my version of the Chaff Master - it's not a terribly powerful weapon, after all. Easy to get out of the blast radius; weakest nuke by far.

I also like the Fuel Air Explosive (AKA - Napalm Missile) and Atom Bomb quite a bit. Though the Atom Bomb may be going down to 2 shots instead of three. It's a bit strong.

If anyone wants to use my semi-balanced modded weapons, take 'em right off my FTP server and just let me and the original author know.

------------------
Skandranon,
The Black Gryphon

IP:

Dreamer
posted April 24, 2001 09:51 AM         
A must have for any new server should be all tanks currently available. It's a shame to have such great tank models and hardly any server available to play them on.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted April 24, 2001 10:27 AM            
Jousting weapons!

We need Jousting Weapons!

Oh...and Dudy's Land Leveler!

IP:

Random Chaos
posted April 24, 2001 10:28 AM            
Oh - and Sheep or Kangaroo Mines

Treebomb is nice...but can be overkill and can REALLY lag a server.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted April 24, 2001 10:35 AM            
Is it possible to convince Net Games to host 3 servers?

1 Unmodded V1.5 handling
1 Unmodded V1.0 handling
1 Modded

All with both DM and CTF maps.

IP:

JVortex
posted April 24, 2001 12:13 PM            
ok, well i just heard from Malice today and got his specs, they are:

"The connection is a 100mb/sec Ethernet going out via 3 Gb/sec pipe. the server is a Dual p3 1000mhz / 500+ mb ram and all hard drives are scsi."

i need help from whoever can give it for how to set the server config settings for this kind of connection. im still none too hot on all that stuff (lack of running a server off my own comp really).

and yes he does have a TM CD.

i think that 2 servers will be the limit, but dont really know for sure. i also think that updates to the servers will have to be combined as one update package that will do both servers at once (not meaning the same way, but just at the same time).

i havent gotten around to doing anything really w/ the dvs pack yet so i wasnt aware of the bolton errors. do you (or whoever) have fixed versions of the dvs tanks?

also i like the idea of a modded chaff master (i like the sound and its just dramatic and cool). ill look into that one as a way to keep it on the server. also in the new update package will be ALL tanks, every single one i could discover existed (Rex i need a copy of your skimmer please).

as to other weapons i am going to readjust the addons i currently have packaged to try and make up a better set. currently im making a poll to see just what everybody wants to have on the new server. the poll should be done by the end of today and ill post a direct link here once its done.

my general plan is going to be to take probably about a week to get this all set up (the Kasplattt part of the server anyway). i want to make sure i do things right the first time and dont piss Malice off by having to make too many changes later on. what i would like to do is put the final addon pack together and then test it on someones server for a couple days to see what everyone thinks about it. this way we could make most all the needed changes before Malice ever gets it.

any thoughts?

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

The Weatherman
posted April 24, 2001 12:25 PM         
I don't know, RC. If we get enough traffic on their servers, they might give us another one. Probably best to get the 2 they are giving us going and well visited before we ask for more. The unmodded server will be setup by Karldar like his semi-classic (no/low guidance, only original weapons, limited wonkey gun) server now. I still don't know how these gents are making money - but I am glad that they are hosting us!

Hey, the netgames servers are up!!! Right now they are just some default settings that Malice put up. Karldar and JVortex are working up their package now, so they should be updated soon. Now, git on them servers!!!
If you like the new servers, the guy to thank for allowing us all this bandwith is Malice@netgames-uk.net .

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited April 24, 2001).]

IP:

Rex R
posted April 24, 2001 12:49 PM            
right, will send you a copy of the skimmer shortly

(edit)
tank sent, should be in your mailbox

[This message has been edited by Rex R (edited April 24, 2001).]

IP:

Rex R
posted April 24, 2001 02:45 PM            
tried out the ng(uk) server, great fun. saw some odd server msg's "1st" "player[temp] changed his name to [temp]" "player found disconnect command sent". thought it odd. I had not seen that sort of msg's before

IP:

Karldar
posted April 24, 2001 03:56 PM            
That sounds kinda like the messages from ver 1.5.6-7 or something. Player's couldn't change names or tanks correctly, I think, so there was a default message added to compensate. Of course, I could be completely wrong .

BTW, I emailed M@lice today about the servers. Once I hear back about his preferences for the dedicated.cfg, I'll email them in to him.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

The Weatherman
posted April 24, 2001 04:24 PM         
Does that mean he needs the 1.59 update? Are 1.59 players able to enter 1.5 servers (I could) ?
Otherwise looking good - no lags on the server solo. I know that connection speed relys on pings - mine are ~200 on the netgames. It there something else about their setup that keeps the game smooth?

IP:

=DNX= Radigator
posted April 24, 2001 05:06 PM            
Well.. even though i'm a neophyte at this game I would suggest not having any previous versions of Tread Marks. Only keeping it up to 1.5.9 Theres no need for other versions?? right? Once again I'm only a neophyte.. I dont know jack about this community yet 1. Server 1.5.9 Bots Unmod
2. Server 1.5.9 with Bots
3. Server with Mods and Bots

Just tossing my 2 cents in

------------------
Radigator
Creator of the 3rd World
www.synopsis.filetap.com

IP: