|
Author Topic:   server ideas
Rex R
posted April 23, 2001 04:12 AM            
a few ideas that thunk of for servers. taking a page from LDA, set the server with all missile weapons or without them (could alternate 1 week per each) though trying to figure out how to classify some of the mods could be a challenge. or once in a while no bolt on weaps at all just the main gun(well might go so far as to allow the machine gun).
comments?

IP:

The Weatherman
posted April 23, 2001 01:57 PM         
Some interesting ideas Rex. Playing off of your idea of all turret weapons - how about a turret turning practice board where all kills must be done with turret to the side. In game i only see a few people ever turn their turrets. I personally never do. Could push the group expertise up a few notches.

Malice at Netgames says he will set us up with servers tomorrow. Maybe a poll is in order to see what mods people want on the high bandwith server.

IP:

peeeto
posted April 23, 2001 02:30 PM         
Weatherman - it took me a while to start using the turret. but when you get a killing side-shot, it is very satisfying!

the next time we're online at the same time, we'll do some training to get you going if that's good for you...

IP:

The Weatherman
posted April 23, 2001 02:42 PM         
Sure Peeto - I love to learn new techniques. Hunter almost got me with a turned swarmer last Sat - It seems like a great way to break the "waiting on opposite sides of the hill" stalemate. BTW - I am all keyboard - what are peoples favorite controllers?

IP:

peeeto
posted April 23, 2001 04:17 PM         
i'm all keyboard, too - default setting.

i wish i could get used to the mouse, but i'm too set in my ways driving w/ my right hand, and moving turret & shooting w/ left!

<EDIT> and since i might not see you online for a while, here's a great excercise (& good way to deal w/ robots). this is how i got used to using the turret:

-turn your turret to one side, go ahead & leave it there;
-drive around the enemy in wide circles going as fast as you can;
-fire at the target you're circling.

at first, you can adjust the whole vehicle as you're driving to aim. you'll eventually get used to using the turret to help aim as well. this technique is especially good to practice with the heavy machine gun.

another tip is to "strafe" your opponent: with your turret turned to the side, going as fast as you can, drive a wide arc past your opponent - almost going in a straight line. before you are perpendicular to them, fire. if you have a repeating weapon, you can adjust your turret to keep hitting them as you blow past.

practice, practice, practice! there will be a test the next time we meet!

[This message has been edited by peeeto (edited April 23, 2001).]

IP:

swisher
posted April 24, 2001 08:59 AM            
Keyboard here, too.

I've tried:

Keyboard.
Microsoft DualStrike.
Microsoft Prescision Pro.
Act Labs Force RS Steering Wheel.

I really only gave the DualStrike a fair chance -- the rest I only toyed with. Got blisters from the DualStrike, so gave it up. I've never tried the mouse.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited April 24, 2001).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted April 24, 2001 09:14 AM            
Im on lefthand keybrd (tank) right hand mouse (turrett)

and let me tell u it can be a bitch to turn that turrett in time at high speeds lol

-=[/2]=-

IP:

Hunter
posted April 25, 2001 08:26 PM            
Ok, don't give The Weatherman anymore tips, damit he's already too good. Also if I might brag a little I love to use the turret and I have become pretty good with if I don't say so myself. The circle technique is my favorite one to use with the plasma cannon. oh I just got an idea for the bios pages people should state what weapon the specialize with. I know that Coax is the best with the mass driver and Super is murder with the plasma cannon. We all know that Amok is best with the Chaotic evil, heheh and nukes, hehe. I have to give him a hard time because it took me forever to get him to try this game, and even longer to get him to give up Recoil by the way he is the world champion Online Recoil master, he goes by Smitty62 and others. He still complains about Tread Marks, but most of his problems are related to lag. He is using a 56k and just gets terrible lag. One thing he notices is that whenever he gets in a close battle with other humans his controls get jerky and aiming is almost impossible. He has a Voodoo 3000 and he has ran the wickedGL driver with no help, does anyone have any suggestions that may help him?

------------------
Stop the gibber jabber I Need Work! =DNX= Hunter

[This message has been edited by Hunter (edited April 25, 2001).]

IP: