|
Author Topic:   Need some help here GUYS !
=DNX= Matrix
posted April 23, 2001 12:01 AM            
A clan member ( =DNX= Radigator ) has made the leap from Battlezone to treadmarks and is having some problems getting running online - plz give him as much support and welcomming to the community as u can - this guy is one hell of a modder and should make a major contribution to TM in the very near future.

thx guys - i have every faith u will do ur best to assist.

-=[/2]=- www.dnxworld.com

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited April 23, 2001).]

IP:

=DNX= Radigator
posted April 23, 2001 12:15 AM            
Well.. now ONE MAJOR KICK ASS GAME!!
Only problem is... 200mhz MMX Processor 64 Mbs of Ram and 32-64 mbs worth of Video Memory and a very cheaply made 56k Winmodem.
When I'm kicking Bot butt in Single player I got settings pretty high in Graphics and still runs smooth. When I have to go online I have to put every thing down on low settings.. Which is ok but.. Its like going at 1 FPS when i'm doing Multi-Player. SO I ask you.. How can I boost my speed up in Multi-Player?? I already have settings all the way on an Hellish Mode where offline it would run like a NASA Computer. Any help on Boosting speed on Multi-PLayer??

Thank you,
And I'm Glad I've become apart of somthing with complete 3d Grapics *Toss's BZ CD away*

------------------
Radigator
Creator of the 3rd World
www.synopsis.filetap.com

IP:

JVortex
posted April 23, 2001 12:52 AM            
your first step should probably be to adjust your net recieve rate. unfortunately i really dont know exactly how this works. setting it to 2, 3 or 4 should help a little i believe. (someone please correct me here and elaborate on netrate please). try each setting and see what happens. this can be changed in game to find the best results.

try running full screen then try running windowed. see which is faster (that one pretty much depends on your video card). in windowed mode you can shrink the window just by grabbing the corner and dragging it smaller. i do this at times to increase performance.

close all unnecessary programs which use bandwidth such as email clients or whatever else u happen to have on your system. plus closing other progs frees up RAM.

lower your color detail settings for the desktop to give your video card less to think about. uncheck the "display icons using all possible colors" and try lowering your screen depth to 16 bit.

double check that your graphic acceleration settings are set to full. if they are already set to full drop it a notch or 2 (i think youll have to restart comp afterwards) and see if that helps.

and of course the good old download all the latest drivers you can. hit the home site of your modem and grab new drivers and hit www.opengl.net (.org?)and grab glsetup.exe to update your openGL goodies. updating your display drivers couldnt hurt too.

i had to go thru a hell of a process to get TM to run decently on multiplayer (and had to do almost all of whats listed above). hope something above there helps. and welcome! hope to see you sucessfully online.

Lets go frag something...

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

Rex R
posted April 23, 2001 01:16 AM            
I agree with jv bout drivers etc. check to see what sort of download speed you get when you dl a .5mb zip file(for me its usually between 4.5 and 5 kb/sec) and adjust your net rate to the nearest whole number (round down) 4k works pretty well for me(56k dial-up) I'ld try running tm at 16 bit color

IP:

The Weatherman
posted April 23, 2001 09:23 AM         
I don't know if this will help, but it is in the vien of freeing up as many resources as possible for the game-

Try removing your Wallpaper or use a pattern. Turn of Active Desktop if it is enabled (this may even be accessing the internet in the background).

Set your hard disk to "network server" mode by right-clicking the Mycomputer icon -> selecting properties -> performance tab -> File system button -> hard disk tab -> select "network server" from drop down list.

Do you have all other internet programs terminated like irc , aim, and browsers?

Maybe some tuner here can reccomend a way to change communications settings like MTU and RWIN in your Dial-up networking settings. I found 1 link here, but you should only use it if you are comfortable mucking w/the registry: http://www.annoyances.org/cgi-bin/ce-showtopic/006_006

Hope this helps. Welcome aboard - Hope to see you in game

------------------
The Treadmonkey formerly known as johnsan

IP:

peeeto
posted April 23, 2001 09:28 AM         
my advice - go slow, do one thing at a time until you think you've fixed it, then stop!

if your graphics are working well in single player mode, i don't think that your graphics system is likely to be the problem with multiplayer. start with the modem drivers.

last but not least, ask Kaeto (i know you still read this board, Kaeto )

IP:

Kaeto
posted April 23, 2001 12:05 PM            
The problem is likely your modem - it's eating your CPU alive when you use it, and thus slowing TM down to a crawl. If you get a good one (a non-winmodem), then you should be fine. Short of that, I don't really think there's much you can do...

IP:

Hunter
posted April 23, 2001 02:04 PM            
Kaeto is right its the dam winmodem, if your processor is not that fast you will see performance problems for sure. The problem is the Controller based modems are pricey and run anywhere from $40.00 to $70.00 and up. I installed a modem blaster for a client and she seen a hugh performance difference in her Sony Viao which btw had a P200 mmx processor.

------------------
Stop the gibber jabber I got a Server =DNX=

IP:

peeeto
posted April 23, 2001 02:27 PM         
hmmm... i have an internal winmodem...
i should prolly think about upgrading that
to get the best connection i can?

IP:

Kaeto
posted April 23, 2001 04:37 PM            
Peeeto - definitely. You'll see more FPS AND better pings when playing online with a good modem. FYI, they aren't that expensive if you buy 'em online (you should be able to find good ones for 30-40 bucks shipped)

IP:

Dreamer
posted April 23, 2001 06:18 PM         
Could anyone give me a rough outline of the fees for telecommunication and internetworking in the states?
-ISDN
-analog lines

-DSL
-T1
-OC3

Just interested.

IP:

Kaeto
posted April 23, 2001 06:39 PM            
Analog internet access runs anywhere from 5 bucks a month to a touch over 20.

ISDN tends to be expensive, in the area of a hundred bucks a month, and with bandwidth charges.

Cable internet is usually 40-50 bucks a month.

DSL depends on the speed grade and location. I pay 45 bucks a month for 256/128kbit access in a moderately rural area. In a city, I could get 768/384 for that price. 1.1/1.1mbit SDSL can be had for as low as a hundred bucks in some places. Usually it's more like 200, tho.

IP:

=DNX= Radigator
posted April 23, 2001 09:19 PM            
Thanks for the help every one I'll see what I can do out of the suggestions. I know one thing in another 2 months Dual 1.5ghz Mother Board. I'll just stay on Single Player now kicking Bot butt and working on files.

Thanks again for all your help

------------------
Radigator
Creator of the 3rd World www.synopsis.filetap.com

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Radigator (edited April 23, 2001).]

IP: