This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   My server-sassy or not?
Karldar
posted April 18, 2001 06:17 AM            
Well, I know that my server's not the fastest or biggest around, but I'm tryin' to serve the community as best I can. With that said-I talked to coax today on Skandranon's server and he suggested a few changes. I would like input as to whether or not these are satisfactory or if further changes are needed(if anyone's using my server, that is).

Here's a list of the pertinent statistics:

DedicatedFPS = 10

MaxClients = 10(max # human players)

ServerRate = 10000

TimeLimit = 20(min)

FragLimit = 20

StartDelay = 10(sec)

CoolDownTime = 15(sec)

Map list(I took out all CTF and the ones that were hard on my eyes. Also took out tank luge cuz I don't like DMing on it.)
DediMap0 = "ClayHills.ved"
DediMap1 = "ClayHills2.ved"
DediMap2 = "DM1.ved"
DediMap3 = "DM2.ved"
DediMap4 = "DM3.ved"
DediMap5 = "DM4.ved"
DediMap6 = "DM5.ved"
DediMap7 = "DM9.ved"
DediMap8 = "DMCaldera.ved"
DediMap9 = "DMCone.ved"
DediMap10 = "DMIce.ved"
DediMap11 = "DMMixedEggs.ved"
DediMap12 = "DMSpikey.ved"
DediMap13 = "DMSteps.ved"
DediMap14 = "Jim10.ved"
DediMap15 = "Jim11.ved"
DediMap16 = "Jim1L.ved"
DediMap17 = "Jim2L.ved"
DediMap18 = "Jim3L.ved"
DediMap19 = "Jim4L.ved"
DediMap20 = "Jim5.ved"
DediMap21 = "Jim6.ved"
DediMap22 = "Jim6T.ved"
DediMap23 = "Jim7.ved"
DediMap24 = "Jim7A.ved"
DediMap25 = "Jim7F.ved"
DediMap26 = "Jim8.ved"
DediMap27 = "Jim8A.ved"
DediMap28 = "Jim9.ved"
DediMap29 = "JimArmaged.ved"
DediMap30 = "JimCircle.ved"
DediMap31 = "JimH1.ved"
DediMap32 = "JimHeavy.ved"
DediMap33 = "JimIce.ved"
DediMap34 = "JimM1.ved"
DediMap35 = "JimMoon2.ved"
DediMap36 = "JimR3.ved"
DediMap37 = "JimS1.ved"
DediMap38 = "JimS2.ved"
DediMap39 = "JimS4.ved"
DediMap40 = "JimT2.ved"
DediMap41 = "JimT3.ved"
DediMap42 = "JimT4.ved"
DediMap43 = "JimVolcano.ved"
DediMap44 = "DM10.ved"

RandomMaps = 1(on)

NumTanks = 6(bots)

AIAutoFill = 1(on-removes AI when humans join)

AISkill = 1.0(100%)

LimitTankTypes = 0(all-liquid & steel)

TeamPlay = 1(on-for now)

TeamScores = 0(off-don't like it)

TeamDamage = 1(on-fun to kill teammates that get in your way or make ya mad)

MaxAllowedTeams = 3(thinkin' about settin' this to 4...)

So, there you have it. I'm not too sure about the ded fps or server rate. Don't know if I should change them since I have cable or leave 'em alone. Noticed that it was kinda laggy for me(and it's my server!) with that many bots on it-might reduce that number back to 3. Um...I guess that's all I've got for now. Happy fragging!

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

peeeto
posted April 18, 2001 07:40 AM         
i don't know much about the net settings, but everything else sounds great, karldar!

IP:

Dreamer
posted April 18, 2001 07:46 AM         
Methinks maybe you should set the AI skill to 0.8 or sth. so we have a server where it's not an AI tank winning half of the matches by fragging other AIs. Might be better for newbies, too.
Just a thought.

IP:

swisher
posted April 18, 2001 09:12 AM            
Thank you for serving, Karldar.

Here are a few suggestions:

• You may want to set the frag limit to 40. 20 can be achived in version 1.5.x in about 10 to 15 minutes.
  • You may want to set RandomMaps = 0(off). When it's set to random, you can end up playing the same map over and over. Setting it to no forces each map in your list to be used in sequence.
  • Setting MaxAllowedTeams = 6 or higher will allow the server to behave like a non-team server (by default, each human is assigned a unique team color), but when teams are desired, the players simply choose sides. It's kind of like getting two servers for the price of one.
  • I found a post that discusses ServerRate in great detail (see /forums/archive/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000381.html ) and it says that ServerRate is the "Max bytes per second sent to each client." This being the case, I'd lower it to about 4000. Even though you have Cable, ServerRate is the amount of data you're going to push UP to clients.

Hope to see you online soon.

Again, thank you again for running a server.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited April 18, 2001).]

IP:

johnsan
posted April 18, 2001 12:29 PM            
Definitely Sassy!
A nice classic game, the way grandma used to make... (not that grandmas's are particularly sassy)
Thanks for serving-

----The Weatherman
Watch out for Karldarl's Grannie!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 18, 2001 12:47 PM            
An AI winning half the matches? I see you haven't played with me and super. Also, I like the 20frag limit, feels good to beat a game in 10-15min, and not let it drag out. My $.02

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

Dreamer
posted April 18, 2001 01:52 PM         
As a matter of fact I do rmember a game - you were there from the beginning - on Homelan: Two AIs occupied places 1 and 2 in the end.

I know I never was nor ever will be one of the top players, but it can't be only me who's annoyed by tough and interfering AIs when wanting to battle humans.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 18, 2001 02:33 PM            
lol, i dunno. Hasn't happened in a while at least.

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

Karldar
posted April 18, 2001 02:51 PM            
Skill level was pretty much non-negotiable for me cuz I like it as tough as possible to (hopefully) improve my gameplay, but then I realized that I hadn't even considered how badly a newbie might get the smackdown laid on them(yes, I'm ashamed). I'll prolly try to tone that down, Dreamer. I know that I HATE seeing a @%@#$%#$ AI win a match--now if I join up 15 minutes into a game it's understandable, but I should be able to beat those punks otherwise.

Think I'll go with fraglimit = 25-30 for now to spice things up. I like having 20 min games cuz you know that 20 mins is all you're gonna have to deal with if you're doing poorly or only have about 20 mins to kill or whatever.

As far as random maps go, my thinking was that it's fun not to know where your gonna end up after a level change(not that all of us have the map order memorized or anything ) so you're not plotting tactics ahead-not that it matters, I guess. Just cuz you know that Armageddon's first doesn't mean the nukes are gonna be any easier to dodge. Anyway, I think I'll just let my maps cycle in order since I've taken quite a few out and the remaining ones aren't in the original order either.

6 teams sounds plausible, but I wonder about autofill. If I leave 6 bots on the server all the time, will it slow down the games since I'm on cable/only have a PIII 450? Guess I'll leave autofill on for now and go to 6 bots/teams.

Thanks for the link, Swisher-I'll tinker with the rate settings to see if I can make it more user-friendly.

Before I forget-if I threw NOPeR's flatland map in there, would everyone who connects get to play on it-even if they don't have the map themselves?

Thanks for the input, guys. Frag ya later (hopefully)!

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Dreamer
posted April 18, 2001 03:57 PM         
TM doesn't allow clients to download anything besides entity files. Be aware of that if you consider adding user-made maps. AFAIK, there won't even be any kind of error message, the clients without the map will definitely not be able to play for that round plus will suffer bad effects probably as weird as those encountered when trying to join a server with a non-supported tank.

IP:

Hunter
posted April 18, 2001 06:40 PM            
Thanks for serving. Your right the long games can drag on not to mention the map can get pretty chewed up after a long match. 30 mins 30 frags usually is the perfect fit. As far as the maps go most people seem to hate the ice worlds, tron maps and the ones with liquid ground. As you know I am serving also, right now I am still in the testing stages but after I get the bugs worked out thanks to Vortex, I plan to only run desert maps and forest maps. I think I got the weapon set that I will stay with for now (From kasplatt) so far I have been running slaughter style, which is 10 AI tanks on one team and humans on the other if they dare. I will prolly switch it around later. Hey this was kind of like a spam wasnt it? hehehehe

------------------
Stop the gibber jabber I got a Server =DNX=

IP:

synack
posted April 18, 2001 06:59 PM         
like a spam?

IP:

synack
posted April 18, 2001 07:00 PM         
hmmm ...

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 18, 2001 07:02 PM            
synack = spam artist

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted April 18, 2001 10:35 PM            
I very much appreciate all of you guys running servers,but is there anyway one of you could put up a regualar server?Mods are fun for a while then you miss the simplicity of a normal game.No that Homelan and Netgames are gone..................

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 18, 2001 11:06 PM            
it is a regular server

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted April 19, 2001 04:23 AM            
ok:~,all is well then

IP:

Karldar
posted April 19, 2001 04:34 AM            
Okay, I've made some changes to the server. Lemme know whatcha think o' this.

-Dropped serverrate to 5000
-Increased fraglimit to 30
-Increased cooldowntime from 15 to 30 secs
-Turned off randommaps
-Dropped AI skill to 80%
-Upped # teams to 6

Tank you for your support!

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

johnsan
posted April 19, 2001 10:30 PM            
Hey Karldar,
Love the server - just one weapon suggestion - Cut the amount of ammo on the Wonky gun to 10 to 20. It is a fun weapon but lasts too long.

Also, the server had some problems with 5 or more people online - with 5 there was a rolling ping explosion where everyone temporarily hit 3000+. With 6 it was constant.

Thanks again for serving - it is a lot of fun - Had some great chases with Coax and Peeto and saw some new faces - Ni and Six

---------------The Weatherman

IP:

JVortex
posted April 19, 2001 11:52 PM            
as far as answering the question of "what if someone doesnt have the current map installed?" there is an error message.

before you log into the server where it normally says "map loaded" it will say "map load failure". it still lets u enter the game however but the world is entirely black. no ground and no sky. and since the game does synch the craters it therefore also ends up synching the general topography so that you can still run around on the black and empty world going over a invisible hill here and there and falling into an unseen pit, its just really no fun. game play is also a little glitchy as the comp tries to synch new craters to your lack of a landscape.

on the bright side ittl let someone log in long enough to ask where to get the map from.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

Karldar
posted April 20, 2001 04:30 AM            
Ummm...there shouldn't be a wonky gun on my server, Johnsan. If there is, I musta incorrectly loaded it in my TM directory. Are you sure you're not talkin' about another server? I'll check it out, tho....

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

johnsan
posted April 20, 2001 08:39 AM            
Sorry, I mean Chaotic E-Ville. It is called a wonky gun in the .ent files(Ok - so I just learned it from using Blandy's new prog). I just like the word wonky

-A Weatherman

Wonky, wOnkey, wonKey, wonkeY, WONKey, WONKEY!!!!!

[This message has been edited by johnsan (edited April 20, 2001).]

IP:

Karldar
posted April 20, 2001 01:18 PM            
That sounds like a pretty cool idea, actually. Also-I knew that's what it was, but somehow completely forgot. I guess I was just thinkin' of in-game names. What does everyone else think? I have to admit that the shadow is fun, but I don't like getting kills quite so easily(guess I'm a masochist ). Of course, it did help me almost catch up to coax this morning on armageddon . I'm willing to reduce the ammo if more people want it that way....

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

peeeto
posted April 20, 2001 01:35 PM         
i vote for taking it off - or reducing to maybe 5 or 10 ammo

IP:

JVortex
posted April 20, 2001 02:49 PM            
i think, since its an issue, im for the 5 or 10 vote myself. its nice for a quick run up to finish someone off or to harass them a bit with, but it is kinda unfair as a real weapon.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2