This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   'puter question...
peeeto
posted March 30, 2001 06:04 PM         
i have a PII-333 that came with P-66 memory.

can i use P-100 or P-133 RAM in this PC?

(i'd like to upgrade & found a deal
on 256MB P-133 SIMMS for $79 each)

note: i have already put one 32MB P-100 SIMM
in, and it seems to work OK...

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 30, 2001 07:31 PM            
should be fine, and when you are ready to upgrade you'll have the chips. Its a win-win situation from what i can tell.

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

Kaeto
posted March 30, 2001 07:43 PM            
You mean PC66, 100 & 133

Yes, it will work. No reason to not get PC133, and there's a decent chance it will work in your next computer, depending on what you get...

IP:

Kaeto
posted March 30, 2001 08:56 PM            
Oh, and BTW, they're DIMMS, not SIMMS

IP:

peeeto
posted March 31, 2001 12:12 PM         
awesome - i think i'll get at least one for my home PC and max out the 'puters at work!

(p.s. thanks for the nomemclature tips, Kaeto - i hate not sounding like i know what i'm talking about when i really don't know what i'm talking about!)

and speaking of upgrading the home PC, that reminds me that i need to email you, Kaeto - maybe you could help me put something together?

[This message has been edited by peeeto (edited March 31, 2001).]

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 31, 2001 03:29 PM            
Peeto, you'll want to find out whether your computer uses SIMM chips or DIMM chips. You wouldn't want to buy the wrong kind because obviously there not compatible. The best way to find out is to count the pins if the memory chips your using if have 168 pins thats a DIMM chip anything less is most likely a SIMM chip. For more information on memory upgrades you can read this article http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1016-414-981-2-2.html

hope it helps

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

Kaeto
posted March 31, 2001 03:57 PM            
His computer doesn't use SIMMS, it uses DIMMS. Don't even worry about it

IP:

Cell
posted April 01, 2001 09:40 AM         
Peeet, you also can change the memory timing settings in the BIOS on all those machines from CAS3 to CAS2,using that new PC-133 memory. That stuff will run nicely at 66mhz.

I wouldn't recommend you try this on work machines, but most 66mhzFSB-IntelTX chipsets have some amplitude ajustment.

On your home machine, look at your BIOS menu closely,you may able to bump up the Front Side Bus speed a bit (turbo setting) or get really foolish and get the manual out, start moving jumpers on the FSB setiings. It depends on the motherboard's properties.

IP:

Kaeto
posted April 01, 2001 04:28 PM            
But if he has the old memory still in there, and tries to go for CAS2, it prolly won't be stable.

IP:

Cell
posted April 01, 2001 09:23 PM         
"Thats true...so you migrate all the old memory to the Boss' computer, turn down all his BIOS settings, accidentally deleting his pr0n collection during the upgrade and everyone else in the office gets shiny new 256MB modules"

BOFH#22

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 01, 2001 09:38 PM            
lol, stop confusing him. Your already confusing me now

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted April 01, 2001 10:47 PM            
Speak English my freinds english

------------------
Commander and Chief of Smiley Kingdom

IP:

peeeto
posted April 02, 2001 04:25 AM         
(you guys are gonna get me in trouble! )

i just might buy one 256MB DIMM and have just that in my home PC, if i can increase the bus speed... i only have 96MB RAM right now (64MB PC-66 and 32MB PC-100). otherwise, i'll use all that i can.

oh - and BTW, i just saw an ad for 256MB PC133 memory for $69 each (after rebate) at CompUSA. what a deal - i've been saving up for new memory for a while & am glad i've been too busy to go out & buy it yet!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted April 02, 2001 03:42 PM            
You'll love the increased preformance Peeeto.I went from 32 to 256 not so long ago.And man,what a difference it makes,especially in TM.Now if I can just get my old Voodoo 3 upgraded,I'll be fine

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 02, 2001 05:57 PM            
i in creased from 120, 360MB and I didn't notice a difference. Oh-well.

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted April 03, 2001 03:39 AM            
Well,in theory your computer will not use that much ram.Unless you are running several games at once Ram is so cheap these days its hard to pass up getting 256+.But when your going from 32 to 256,you'll notice a huge difference.When I get on somebody's E-Machine and try using it,I get so frustated.Like my girlfriend's for instance,she had a 700mhz Celeron with 64 ram.When i use it I usually get pissed off waiting on the computer.Yeah,you could prob blame some of that on the Celeron,but theres only a slight difference between Pentium and Celeron benchmarks.Makes me glad I try to keep up with the high-end systems Except for my aging video card,I'm as fast as majority of new computers setting on the shelves.BTW,whats the best Vcard out there for around 200 bucks?I haven't been keeping up with video cards much the last couple of years.I don't really need every little feature like on the ATI All in Wonder or Raedeon.Simple AGP card would suffice.Oh yeah,gotta be able to run TM too

IP:

Dreamer
posted April 03, 2001 05:41 AM         
you should be able to get a 32MB GeForce2 MX for about $100 by now... - even DualHead=great fun if you've got a spare monitor.
Or you could try and find a KyroII somewhere out there, should be only little over 200.
Matrox's G450 is priced similarly, too, but I would not recommend it for games like TM - better suited for minesweeper or rts games.

IP:

peeeto
posted April 03, 2001 07:30 AM         
rrrrrrrr - found out more about the PC's at work...

the one that i work on will not take more than 128MB DIMMs...

my home PC has 3 DIMM slots. the motherboard manual says

quote:
Intel 440LX supports 4MB to 768MB by using EDO RAM and supports 4MB to 384MB by using SDRAM...

i'm pretty sure that it has SDRAM in it now - so with 3 DIMM slots available and 384MB max, i can't put >128MB DIMMs in it...

BTW, what the heck is EDO RAM?

IP:

RommeL
posted April 04, 2001 08:03 PM            
Peeto, in simple words EDO is the past, SDRAM is the present...
and dont ask about the future of RAMs and microprocessors...
If you want to know about RAMs more detailed, click here.

and now please promise me u will not ask any more about this subject, because in the end you will find yourself in front of your blank monitor, asking yourself "Why the heck did I changed my PC's BIOS??"...

beleive me, i've been through this, although im very happy now with my new Asus CUSL2-C motherboard... )

------------------
KILL 'EM ALL!

IP:

Kaeto
posted April 04, 2001 09:33 PM            
Peeeto - mobo docs are often not right about that. It's worth trying a 256 stick in that box, it may work.

SuperUnknown - the GeForce2 GTS, Radeon 64 meg, or Kyro II (when it's released) are pretty much where it's at in the $150-$200 range right now...

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted April 04, 2001 11:14 PM            
THX for the list of video cards guys,I'll start browsing for them ASAP.

IP:

peeeto
posted April 05, 2001 10:06 AM         
Kaeto - i found out that i can get 128MB PC133's for ~$40 each, so i think i'll just go ahead & get 2 of those for now.

thanks for all your help, guys!

<edit> ---Another Question---

i'm running out of hard-disk space (i have a 6-GIG HD now). how good are those 20-GIG HD's you can get from CompUSA for around $20?* if anyone's not familiar with them, i'll look up the spec's...

<edit> * doh! i meant to type $100, not $20... sorry

[This message has been edited by peeeto (edited April 06, 2001).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted April 05, 2001 06:48 PM            
Peeeto, those HDs will be fine for your computer...

IP:

peeeto
posted April 05, 2001 10:30 PM         
thanks again, Kaeto - maybe i'll spring for that, too.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted April 06, 2001 12:06 AM            
20 GIGs for $20?!Whats up with that?Granted I haven't been hardware shopping in a lomg time,but............$20!?I do need extra space because I'm going to start ripping DVD's that I rent and they can take up like 5-10 gig per DVD.That also brings up another question.(sorry for getting more off topic)Anybody know how to make 2 hard drives a master nad slave?I know how to hook up a HD but don't know where to go after that.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2