|
Author Topic:   Experience with dial-ups
johnsan
posted March 28, 2001 12:14 PM            
Does anyone have any experience with dial-up isps and multiplayer games? I was thinking about buying a buddy of mine a copy and he has a 28-32 kbps dialup isp. I have a cable modem and it is rarely jumpy.

IP:

JVortex
posted March 28, 2001 01:20 PM            
im runing at 56K and get lag fairly often, but i also use AOL... there is someone else here on the board, tho i dont recall who at the moment running at somewhere around 32K or so and they said that they dont lag too often. its generally worth i try i would say.
altho i cant count the number of times ive been fragged because im sitting and waiting for my computer to catch up to the server...

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! (Under Heavy Construction) Beware of the non-Tread Marks areas, they have pop up adds, AAHHHH!!!!!

IP:

Rex R
posted March 28, 2001 01:21 PM            
you could (I think) try setting your net rate to 3k just to see what its like. I have a '56k' dial-up and have set mine to 4k doesn't seem overly jumpy, but it did take a bit of adjustment on my part to get used to the change from 5k, worth it though, seems to be more stable than it was

IP:

Kaeto
posted March 28, 2001 02:23 PM            
While it won't be perfectly smooth, it should be plenty playable, unless you play on the FT&CD server I used to play with a 24,000bps connection...

IP:

synack
posted March 28, 2001 08:11 PM         
Which reminds me ...

Where the HECK is Dudy??????

Dudy! Come back!! Your tireless wanderings are the stuff of legend.

We haven't had a good cookie dough fix in ... in ... a loooooooong time!!!

It's time to toss the boulders onto the trampoline and mix things up!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 28, 2001 08:14 PM            
i connect with a 31,200 connection. I can play fine everythig is smooth, you might not see every missle that comes out from a swarmer but you'll see 3/4ths of them for sure.

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

Kaeto
posted March 28, 2001 11:04 PM            
Synack - dudy is rather busy AFAICT, I rarely see him online anymore (tho I haven't been on much myself lately, senior year sucks)

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 29, 2001 01:42 AM            
senior year sucks? My senior year i did nothing but kick back, get straight B's from all my teachers because i was a senior, get drunk, and have one of the best years of my life.

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

peeeto
posted March 29, 2001 06:50 AM         
that's kinda how i remember my senior year, too...

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 29, 2001 08:12 AM            
im on a 56k rockwell, and for the most part the games smooth, but last night i was on at 46,666 and the pings were like in the 450's and some as high as 800 - skarandons was the only server i could join and it was choppier than a choppy thing while shopping for chops during chopping !!!!!

I think its not the speed u connect, i think its the number of server hops it takes u to get to the main server.

try doing a traceroute thru dos or get hold of a prog called neo trace and ping the main ip.

the ping in ms is how long it takes your signal to get there and get back.

-=[/2]=-

IP:

swisher
posted March 29, 2001 08:57 AM            
Setting your NetRate to 2k or 3k may help as well. This option is available thru the in-game menu system under Miscellaneous (I think).

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 29, 2001 12:01 PM            
swisher is right, I change it all the time and know for a fact its there. Its only one of 2 options in the miscellaneous menu.

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

johnsan
posted March 29, 2001 12:45 PM            
Thanks guys, I am ordering my buddy a copy right now. See ya in Fragland.

Does this post bust my New Member cherry?

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 29, 2001 12:55 PM            
lol, yup that was the cherry poping post

------------------
TM Bios

IP: