|
Author Topic:   Idea 4 TreadMarks
GoldAnt_Number1
posted March 26, 2001 10:42 PM            
I CAN'T DECIDE!!!!! THERES JUST TO MANY!!!!!! Too many things to Choose from. In the next update or this could be the next update, could you put in a random level, you select it then it picks a level for you maybe even a random tank might be nice as well. It wouldn't be to hard would it? tell me whatcha thinks.
And maybe some more CTF maps.

------------------
Commander and Chief of Smiley Kingdom

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 27, 2001 12:09 AM            
Yeah,I can picture it now.Me with a Mite playing on Tank Luge

IP:

Rex R
posted March 27, 2001 01:42 AM            
considering your opinion of mites(not that I don't tend to agree with you) LOL

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 27, 2001 03:20 AM            
Ummmm... hate the idea. I love my zodiac and i won't give it up to the randomness of The Fates.

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

Karldar
posted March 27, 2001 04:26 AM            
Well, I think it's a pretty good idea. Naturally, I'd rather play with my trusty ol' dwarf than a damn mite, but I think it'd be cool to let the game pick your map and/or tank in single player. It might be nice if you get bored and wanna experience new stuff-mebbe you'd even find a tank you like better than the zodiac, coax . I know that(sadly) I haven't tried each and every tank yet-and I'm just talkin' about the LDA ones.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 27, 2001 08:16 AM            
ya know what id like to see...

the ability to select an empty server (appart from the bots) change the level to what suits you - set how many players, time limit and turn the bots on / off. This way you can have timed 1 v 1's on your choice of map without fear of interuption - essential for tournaments.

A simple interface would suffice and would save the dedicated server host to be continually editing the server textfile.

Otherwise the hosts server would be up n down like a a pair o' knickers !!!

-=[/2]=-

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted March 27, 2001 09:23 AM            
Ayn kind of remote administration interface would be cool.
(see UT's web admin interface - wouldn't want to live without it...)

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted March 27, 2001 02:07 PM            
then forget random tank wel mostly hehe. I REALLY REALLY want random map......... i haven't even played on all levels experince new thingys yes

------------------

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 27, 2001 02:24 PM            
Take a look at the DMF main screen - under the pic of my up and comming mod is a button *THE REAL BATTLEZONE* i suggest you click it and take a look at the interface, simple but oh so effective.

Its perfik 4 TM.

-=[/2]=-

IP:

peeeto
posted March 27, 2001 09:50 PM         
speaking of random levels, if standard algorithms were used a TM server could generate random terrain and duplicate it on every client. then, all that would have to be updated would be the craters, as always...

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 27, 2001 10:59 PM            
Matrix.I've always thought of that and like the idea.Sometimes the bots just get in the way.Nothing pisses me off more then when I'm working somebody down and one more shot and they're toast,then along comes a bot and takes the kill.I would like a server with no bots and the abilty to pick your own frag limit,map.......Don't know how it could be done though.I'll leave that to the networking wizards in this forum

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 28, 2001 08:45 AM            
faid without a MAJOR upgrade to TM i actually dont see any way of making this happen, however it could be possible *though very difficult* if someone made a launcher to the servers with their own interface, this would dynamically alter their dedicated server text - ie your own launcher for your own server - lienen did it, so why couldnt we - just need someone into C++

step one would be to get the code used to make a dedicated server

step 2 to make it read the dedicated server textfile

step 3 to add an interface that lets you change the contents - the RUN GAME button would save the server config and run the game, choose your tank etc.. and away u go.

its a shame to bypass what LDA so maticulously made, but hey if the people want it, the people usually find a way to make it happen.

wonder if the dedicated txt file could be modified to include a password - hmmmmm !

-=[/2]=-

IP:

johnsan
posted March 28, 2001 12:09 PM            
I's like to repeat Coax's idea for an easier way to find games with humans from the TM main program.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 28, 2001 11:03 PM            
Yeah,that too.Any programmers or wannabes in this forum?Like to whip something up?I'm no expert, but a little utility or something would do the trick and I don't think it'd be too complicated to make..Matrix,whatever.[swoosh!],right over my head I don't like looking at 10+ servrs and not knowing if a human is on any of them.How did it work for earlier versions?I mean the server would not boot a bot off if a human joined.If the newer servers would keep the bots when people join,then that would eliminate the problem.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 29, 2001 04:21 AM            
hi johnsan, always nice to see new faces in the community, one more post and you won't be a "new member".

I need to learn c++, must learn c++. If anyone can find room in my schedule to juggle classes, work, and research so i can take a c++ class let me know

I was thinking if TM doesn't ever become a "big seller" in a couple of years LDA might just release the code to us, probally won't happen but could.

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 29, 2001 04:57 AM            
Thats easy:School and homework takes up 20% of your time.Work/sleep/eating/watching SportsCenter/ may take up to 40%.Social life and playing TM,10%.And girlfriend a whopping 30% of your time!So drop the girlfriend and take a C++ class They're overated anyway.They expect all of your spare time to go to them. You can become friends,but you can still make a booty call every once in a while

IP:

johnsan
posted April 10, 2001 12:33 PM            
I like the environmental effects ideas - how about currents in rivers or sandy (slow) terrain. Maybe the ability to be totally submerged?

I was also wondering it there could be timed power up/power down mods - i.e. speed boost, acceleration boost, extra traction, extra turret speed, armor boost. The powerdowns could be opposite the powerups. How about a "drunk" powerdown that makes you lag / have visual distortions- like everyone looks like an enemy,double images, sluggish controls, or randomize the control(same keys/different functions) The powerdowns could either be you have to run over them at a spawn point, or applied to you by an enemy. Maybe also things like shrink your tank, invisibility (radar and/or screen) or partial cloaking.

Some weapons mods that might be interesting would be a single use kill-everybody bomb. How about a timed touch of death ala Super Mario cart (w/ or w/out speed boost).

These could be more strategic in application than your basic total-guidance-lay-waste-to-everything-on-the-screen type weapons. In general I don't totally hate suped up mods - they should just be limited # of shots, long reload time , and rare - like nukes or cruise missles.

How about the ability to drop a weapon- (which disappers and temporarily leaves you unable to pick up another weapon but able to use the main turret and pick up health and ammo boxes)

Power plays in CTF? Dummy flags (show up on map)? Can you have more than 2 teams?

Tank Soccer? - Peeto can be goalie! (No tank baseball!)

Hows that for a big post ? What do you think, sirs?

The Weatherman

IP:

Rex R
posted April 10, 2001 12:51 PM            
tank soccer you could use the 'mite' for the ball, that could get interesting a 'ball/puck' that shoots back

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted April 10, 2001 06:40 PM            
How bout real soccer sorta. A giant ball, really heavey, you hit q or t or r or e or a key that isn't used, then your tank fires a string out and your attached to the ball. You must drag the ball to the other end of the field, only problem is that the string isn't strong nad the ball moves slow, so the tank will go wild and fly out or spin out around and about the ball if the driver isn't careful Kinda like dragging a volley ball on a rope underwater! Except the volley bal wouldn't float up. everybody understand what i mean?

------------------

IP:

Hunter
posted April 10, 2001 06:56 PM            
How about some servers just to play any game on!!!!!!!

------------------
Stop the gibber jabber I need work (DNX)

IP:

johnsan
posted April 10, 2001 08:50 PM            
I was thinking that the ball would attach to your turret if you run over it and you can carry it until either hit or destroyed. At that point it bounces away to be picked up by another player. With it mounted on the turret you can shoot it at the goal or to a player upfield. Maybe it would have to hit the other player in the turretfor them to carry it. Maybe it would have the destructive power of a plasma ball if shot at an opposing team member (if you shoot it you can't pick it up until another player touches it or something). Goalies can be a special wide or fast tanks that don't take damage but can't move farther than mid field. Just ideas - I certainly can't program a darned thing.

Could people w/ timed servers post when they think they will be up? How were the old dedicated servers set up - who do you have to beg or bribe?

GA- how about an earthball type game, a big-arse ball that you have to push with your tank or nudge with weapons toward a goal. Someting like strength of weapon = push. The physics for this should already be pretty much developed....

-T' Weatherman

IP:

johnsan
posted April 20, 2001 09:03 AM            
How about a fixed rear or front mounted laser or Flamer, or drill that shoots out to one or both sides for strafe or sideswipe damage. I will even suggest the names strafe and sideswipe. What is the name of Darth Maul's weapon? The Graphic for the drill might even be light saber like and use starwars wavs for turn on, sustain,turn off. They might make for some different tactics. Can you tell that I don't turn my turret ? Looks like I should read the EEK and figure out how to do some mods.

How about a carbomb mod that you can attach to an enemy hull and detonates after a countdown w/enough blast to kill you if you didn't retreat to a safe distance... I have a great wav for it...
the weatherman

[This message has been edited by johnsan (edited April 20, 2001).]

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 20, 2001 05:56 PM            
the car bomb idea sounds really good, not sure how you would implement it though.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

JVortex
posted April 20, 2001 08:27 PM            
bomb huh? maybe have a weapon that shoots a projectile and that projectile detonating spawns the car bomb weapon for the targeted tank to pick up? then when they fire it it blows them silly? heh. camoulflage it as say a flamer but when they shoot and kill themselves it says "you were killed by a sabotaged weapon" or something... (its way easy to make a weapon that kills just the firing tank) could even, with a little work make the thing spawn different weapon types so no one would know til it was too late, that way they couldnt just Alk+K themselves. of course the person who created the thing wouldnt get credit for the frag, but thats ok, it would still be fun. hehehe, i think im liking this idea. maybe add in an effect that would blast the tank way up in the air as it died so at least the person could get a good view for a minute . and just think, the whole thing could be server side only too, bwah ha ha ha ha....

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

[This message has been edited by JVortex (edited April 20, 2001).]

IP: