This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Block the Demo Servers
coax
Administrator
posted March 20, 2001 01:46 AM            
I know the point of the Demo is to get people to like it so much they want to buy the full version. BUT IT DOESN'T WORK. People don't want to buy the new version. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free. Ban it force the people to upgrade.

OR Announce certain times the demo servers will be available like matrix said, or limit the play time on them just do something. It might not seem like a problem since people can only buy the new version, but the people who buy v1.5 see no one on the servers and loose interest in TM, because everone is on the demo. I doubt any demo player could "logically" defend there position. The demo servers should be stopped, LDA wanted them stopped, and now the majority of TMs fan-based community wants them stopped.

So stop them, I don't really see why they should still be up.

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 20, 2001 04:53 AM            
Is there a way to get a message to them?Like when you click on a server,it shows the type of game,# of bots....blah blah blah.Can it say,"demo server is coming down,get off you lazy a$$es and buy the game"I just noticed a area where you could add remarks.Maybe you could put it there.

IP:

swisher
posted March 20, 2001 09:01 AM            
It's not as simple as shutting down the master server? I suppose that's the saem server as 1.5.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

peeeto
posted March 20, 2001 10:14 AM         
simply disabling the master server would not allow LDA to warn the players...

IDEA

can someone do this? log into the NGI server with the name "Message from LDA" (if that's OK with you, Jim), and have keystrokes automatically sent to control the tank. have the tank drive off into the distance, constantly broadcasting the keystrokes:
- (full throttle for 30 seconds)
- "The Multiplayer Demo is no longer supported by LDA"
- (full throttle for 10 seconds)
- "The Master Server will be disabled on <pick date>"
- "Please purchase a Registered game from www.treadmarks.com"
- "Have a nice day!"
- (repeat)

this way, the autobot will get out of the gameplay (hopefully), but still be broadcasting.

LDA should DEFINITELY post news about this on their website, so people coming over to see what's up can be better informed as to the reasons behind this.

note: IMHO, multiplayer is what i love about the game, and i'm saddened that it's come to this. as LDA does not control the demo servers, maybe they can somehow block the demo server's IP #'s from the Master Server and run their own demo server for a limited length of time per day..?

[This message has been edited by peeeto (edited March 20, 2001).]

IP:

Vlad
posted March 20, 2001 10:31 AM            
That's the weird thing... There's only one of the 1.0.0 demo servers up that ever has any people on it, and that's the NGI one. Not only that, but if you go on there and ask who has the full version, most of the people on there will say that they do. It's not that the players are on the demo, but the server's on the demo. The rest of the servers that you can see from the demo are 1.0.1 Full version servers, which can't be joined from 1.0.1 (different tanks and maps).

I know that Homelan has multiple 1.0.1 servers, and I see this one up and running all the time with 12 bots, but nobody playing.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 20, 2001 01:50 PM            
Every time i log onto NGI and I ask around who has the full version, everyone says they don't have it.

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted March 20, 2001 08:37 PM            
Its almost useless to paly on the deom server if you have the full version..........Unless nobody else is on the full version :*(

------------------
Commander and Chief of Smiley Kingdom

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 20, 2001 11:12 PM            
I agree with you Peeeto.The people should be warned before its yanked down(assuming that LDA wants to take it down).I do try to ask people if they have retail.Some do.Others don't.Some may have a outdated full version.I'll start telling people the demo server is going whether it is or isn't.That way they will do what we want them to..buy the game.I admit,I go to the demo server more times than I should.But it simply has people and the new servers don't.I did pay for the game and expect to be able to play against at least one human at anytime of the day.We you think of the bigger games,you never have a problem finding people to play with.The goal, I guess,would be to get TM up to the level of those games.It always gets back to that basic idea dosen't it? There's enough brains in this forum to figure out a solution without help from LDA(to some degree).If the bigger games had 100 or so PR guys then that game would achive god-like status.Well,we can be PR's for LDA.My idea was to get a new timed demo sent out with some of the computer gaming magizines.Obviously,LDA would be needed for that project and I could not do it alone Any other ideas out there that wouldn't cost money or involve LDA?We could start a grass roots campaign and email certain gaming sites,asking for exposure or maybe to put a link somewhere on their homepages,linking the TM site or a demo(hopefully a never one with multiplayer enabled).If 100 or so emailed somebody like Daily Radar and said Tm was a great game and needed some exposure so it would take off,then they might be willing to do something.Just some ideas.

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited March 20, 2001).]

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 21, 2001 12:02 AM            
although the grass-roots idea is great, it all hinges on a timed demo, and phasing out the demo servers.

Jim, what is LDA going to do? and how can we help?

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted March 21, 2001 12:45 AM            
It's a tough call.

The bottom line is for us to get TM into retail again, with much better exposure.

I'm working on that now, and some things are starting to fall into place.

We've decided to drop down to the GDC on short notice....hopefully I'll have news when we get back

Jim

IP:

synack
posted March 21, 2001 04:27 AM         
Glad to hear it Jim. I'm sure that was a difficult decision for you. I hope you'll be warmly welcomed.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 21, 2001 10:51 PM            
I appologize LDA,I didn't know you were pushing a new game out too!Plus,I didn't know it was close to the anniversary of the death of TM's developer.I prob picked a bad time to open my big mouth Oh well,go to the GDC(I'm really jealous)and have fun.I'll starting ranting again when things come back to normal On a side note,I'm doing my thing and scaring the demo people into purchasing the game I think Peeeto got one of the guys, we were playing with last night, to purchase the game.If we all stop by the demo server and say its coming down,then maybe we'll start seeing some people on the new servers.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted March 21, 2001 11:04 PM            
There needs to be an easy way to tell if somebodys on a server. Like the Name should turn green. It'd be way easer than going down the list and checking for how many bots are there

------------------
Commander and Chief of Smiley Kingdom

IP:

JVortex
posted March 21, 2001 11:21 PM            
i agree with ant, there should be an easier way. i use the TM master client because it gives a total, but u still have to figure out which server they are on.

btw, on my machine i cant use the join game button (or whatever its labeled) to start TM. if i do it crashes the master client prog, but TM launches just fine. anyone else have this problem or know y that is?

also... how do u access the demo servers? ive asked that at one point before but never got a response. and no i wont start playing mainly on the demo servers, hehe.

havent been on playing much cause ive been mainly working on weapons and this one tank (which is nearly done). at least im still doing TM related things. so thats my excuse for not playing much.

so, whats your excuse?.......

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! (Under Heavy Construction)

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 21, 2001 11:58 PM            
To play on the demo servers "I believe" you need to have the version 1.0 demo to do it or the full version of 1.0. Other then that i don't think there is a way.

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

JVortex
posted March 22, 2001 12:27 AM            
oh, well forget that then. thought u could just patch in by specifying a different master address or something.

IP:

peeeto
posted March 22, 2001 09:25 AM         
i think you can use up to TM ver 1.57 to join the demo servers, but from 1.5+, the weapons will appear to act strangely (for example, you can see the dirtball projectile track a target, but the projectile will not actually track... pre-ver 1.5, most weapons did not have guidance), and your ping may increase.

i simply re-installed the 1.0 demo on my PC to use the older demo server(s).

IP:

RommeL
posted March 30, 2001 02:27 PM            
coax posted March 20, 2001 01:50 PM
"Every time i log onto NGI and I ask around who has the full version, everyone says they don't have it."

coax, and did you asked them why??
Peeeto and me already know the answer...

------------------
KILL 'EM ALL!

IP:

swisher
posted March 30, 2001 02:49 PM            
Romell, what do you and Peeeeto know?

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

peeeto
posted March 30, 2001 02:55 PM         
i think he's referring to the fact that it's difficult for europeans to purchase the software... shipping to RommeL would have been $35, so i bought a copy online & mailed it to him for $6

since Matrix is becoming a distributor in the UK, maybe he can help to reduce the shipping costs...

IP:

swisher
posted March 30, 2001 03:29 PM            
Thank you.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 30, 2001 03:37 PM            
everyone tries to take a shot at poor old coax tiss....tiss....

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

Hunter
posted March 30, 2001 03:59 PM            
My god! Was that the infamous Rommel the demo god? I would love to see him on the Homeland servers, hehehe. Havent seen him in a long time since I gave up the demo for the real game. Rommel, have you seen bladque or whatever his name is? So your in Europe huh, I'm in the states, what would be good time for me to catch you online? Ill watch for you.

IP:

peeeto
posted March 30, 2001 04:52 PM         
watch out, Hunter! he's gotten VERY good!

i usually see him online very late at night (EST).

IP:

Vlad
posted April 04, 2001 11:56 AM            
You know, how about instead of the demo servers going to 1.5, how about a jump to 1.0.1. I personally still can't get used to the camera in 1.5, and really don't see enough of a reason to pay $10 to upgrade.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2