|
Author Topic:   blocking off E-mail access
coax
Administrator
posted March 17, 2001 11:50 PM            
Does anyone know a way to block someone from checking there E-mail on your computer. Because sometimes my room-mate is just sitting at the desk checking e-mail while i have an itch for some serious DM battle. I've tried disabling cookies, and I've tried diabling java but he seems to learn how to turn them back on. Anyone have any ideas?

IP:

JVortex
posted March 18, 2001 01:24 AM            
depends, is just saying no an option? probably not being a room mate and all. anyhow, if its something like yahoo or hotmail you can activate your security settings and add his email site to the restricted sites. then he would need a password (i think) to look at anything on that domain.
if its something like outlook i dont think you can stop him. but since u mentioned cookies i will assum its web based email.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! (Under Heavy Construction)

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 18, 2001 01:52 AM            
didn't seem to work. Got any more ideas?

(on a side note I have the devil post count 666)

[This message has been edited by coax (edited March 18, 2001).]

IP:

synack
posted March 18, 2001 06:11 AM         
Is restricting his access to your PC, itself, an option for you?

If so, enable the power-on password and also enable a password-protected screensaver. That way, no one gets on your PC without your knowledge and intervention.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 18, 2001 06:27 AM            
okay, I'll just come clean, the computer lab on campus is always full of people checking e-mail. I just wanted a little computer in the corner i can use to check the bboards and stuff.

IP:

JVortex
posted March 18, 2001 07:39 PM            
you a$$, lol. if youre trying to do these things in a lab then chances are that the settings you would need to get to you cant even access! is, by chance, that the reason that my previous suggestion didnt work? hmmm....?
it seems to me that there should be some way to do it, but i really dont kno how, aside from screwing with the internet setings and just stopping it from accessing the net in general.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! (Under Heavy Construction)

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 18, 2001 11:23 PM            
If your computer labs are like the ones on my campus then they are locked up tighter than Fort Knox Although some I find are fully accesible,so I can download and watch movies while class is going on Plus,theres usually a student aide in every lab,watching to make sure your not installing anything and making sure the printer has paper...lol.If I check this forum from campus,I do nothing different than home.Its not like somebody is going to go through the cookies.Just make sure to clear the Internet History if your using IE or Cache if your using NS.....If you paranoid

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 18, 2001 11:36 PM            
hehe, i already know the password for the computers. I just need to know what i need to do.

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted March 19, 2001 12:25 AM            
COAXS!!!!! You evil little man!!! hehehehe. I got the smae problem with my sister!!!! She gets on to enter in "DISNEY'S WIN A VACATION TO HAWAII". Oh come on she can enter contests latter!!!! I tried hex-ediiting Juno. And i found something Password =....Salt ???? ok thats werid i change it to Yaho. Well she still got in? then i started changeing everythingy around until i think i corrupted evrey useless option and spellchecker tool!!!! Then i watch her get on and............ Nothing was wrong at all it was terrbile!!! Much morning (for me not her). And if you try to move the internet explorer icon (so she can't go enter contests) it won't work thanks to Bill Gates you can move or even touch anything they made!!!!!!! How unfair is that!!

------------------
Commander and Chief of Smiley Kingdom

IP:

JVortex
posted March 19, 2001 02:59 AM            
well my vote is still for just going into the dialup networking folder and altering the settings there so that the comp no longer knows how to get online. just make sure that youre changing something that youll remember how to put back so that you can use it.

------------------

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 19, 2001 03:02 AM            
its on a T1 i don't know if that would work.

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

JL
posted March 19, 2001 08:10 AM            
If your using Windows you could make your own user profile and password.I think windows stores the email logon, and only lets that user view their read mail. I never actualy tried it but it might work.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 20, 2001 12:01 AM            
Yeah,you could set up a password in the Network control panel in Windoze and it would promt for a pass after Windoze boots up.All you have to do is hit escape to bypass,but it will not remember any other passwords after that.They all have to be manully entered.Of course the Network Admin would take it down as soon as it became known.

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited March 20, 2001).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 20, 2001 11:17 AM            
hahah just alter the account by 1 space - will be invalid and take days to figure out - is so insignificant that you will be able to enable and disable it at will lol

IP:

TM BIO Guest 1
posted March 23, 2001 01:00 AM            
Matrix where do you learn this stuff???

anyway.... Coaxs.....

Tonight at exaclty 9:32ish. Somebody got on your icq name???

what was said.

C:hi little 13 yr old, that intoduced my friend mitch to starkingdoms

GA1:huh? what? coaxs you alright in there...................

C:i am not mitch

GA1:then who r you!!
i knew it!!!! you cat burglar!!! POLICE POLICE!!!111

ah ha!!!! your are a teacher

best freind?

2nd cousin twice removed?

that is not correct

the bulley at school with a big noose :^)

C:gee, you got me!

person on coaxs's account logs off. Coaxs you've got some freaky roommates there.

------------------

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 23, 2001 04:42 AM            
lol, your telling me. no, that was my friend "Kim" she's like the left side of my brain. We were studing together and enjoyed confusing you.

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

TM BIO Guest 1
posted March 23, 2001 03:21 PM            
It was you!!!! :PP:P:P:P:P:P:P:P how cruel cna u be. Did you know that the left side of your brain controls the right side of your body??? and the Right side of your brain controls the left???

------------------

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted March 23, 2001 03:24 PM            
grrrrrrrrrrr the whats this earses your old name lol

------------------
Commander and Chief of Smiley Kingdom

IP: