|
Author Topic:   Anyone Making Weapon Models still ?
Target!!
posted March 10, 2001 01:02 AM            
Hi everyone, well, its been a long LONG while since I have been playing TM. I just bought the game. Three copies in fact. To seduce my friends at the next LAN party.

Anyways, the point of my post is this. Im requesting information on anyone who is still making models for user-made weapons.

I have had four unique weapons now for well over a year that I and my friends have had tons of fun with. However, due to the constraints that LDA has wisely placed upon the modification and distribution of art work realted to this game. (Good idea always)

I can not give out these weapons as/is.
I will need a new model for each weapon and art work for it.

I have a theme to the weapons. Nature's Fury.
There is a Tornado. (Does what it implies)
There is a Volcano. (Big Booms, Big Hill)
There is a EarthQuake. (complete with Faults)
There is also Lightening.

(I also have the Tele-Nuke, and Supply Drop)
Nuke Beams in with a audible timer delay and simulates "real" explosions. If you are in the sphere of fire.. you are gonna die... so keep on backing away or else.)

The Supply Drop will work Great with CTF.
You cant use it as a weapon (unless you catch someone in the beam down point). But you can be a HUGE help to team mates by dropping down my unique weapons and Gold Boxes for them. (They time-out and disappear within 5-6 seconds to prevent enemy capture.)

Anyone interested in designing just maybe two different weapon models and then just changing the art with a color scheme to make it obivous what the weapon is at a glance ?

I can give more details if interested. Unfortunately I dont have the time to bother with model design.

>>Target<<

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 10, 2001 02:36 AM            
they sound like cool mods man - id be glad to host em at the DMF ( www.deathmatch-federation.com )when thyre done - screenshots will help too.

JL is the man for weapons, look for the mining mods / cookie dough server.

also id like to incorporate those weapons into the bz mod im making.

thoughts please.

-=[/2]=-
DMF ADMIN

IP:

Dreamer
posted March 10, 2001 03:13 AM         
Matrix - I did not know there was competition between us for mod-hosting...

I hope you did not mean to say "grant me exclusive hosting-rights", as that would pretty much kill this community IMO.

Once I'm out of the construction phase again, I'd be glad to host any weapons/models/tanks/maps, too and so would RC, I expect, once he gets his FTP running again...

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 10, 2001 10:27 AM            
dreamer, im not after EXCLUSIVE rights to anything - its just a game m8. Chill.

if i can gather all the mods and put links in one place - THE DMF - people are encouraged to use the site - either that or ive wasted my time and i should just take it down.

besides your site is linked to on the main screen - i hardly think a simple LINK spells doom for the community ! im simply trying to create a place where everything tm is accessible from 1 site - is that so bad ?

is everyone in germany mine mine mine or nein nein nein ?

and whats this construction phase you speak of - the community is buil;ding all the time. no offense, but i dont see you designing t-shirts, becomming a distributor for tm instead of whining about it, making a major mod or anything else productive other than VRML.

if im outa place tell me but hey if the community dont want me im outa here - just say so, i know when im not wanted.

mods competition indeed - HAH !

-={/2}=-

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited March 10, 2001).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 10, 2001 10:34 AM            
in fact freamer scratch that - you have it - no really see how much it matters !

if it means that much to you - take it.

im not gonna be the starter of a flame over a mod !

-=[/2]=-

IP:

Hawk
posted March 10, 2001 11:39 AM            
I think you misread that, Matrix.

quote:
I hope you did not mean to say "grant me exclusive hosting-rights", as that would pretty much kill
this community IMO.

He was thinking you had asked for exclusive hosting rights. If sites start asking for 'exclusive' hosting rights, it could truly smash a game's mod community, which is what it sounds like Dreamer was worried about, not getting rights to host it all to himself.

------------------
Temporal Chaos 0wnz j00!

IP:

Dreamer
posted March 10, 2001 12:37 PM         
Phew, Matrix, I think I've got to put some things straight...

Apparently there has, as before, been a case of thorough misunderstanding between the two of us - remember the flag download file?

Neither then nor this time did I intend to offend you or question the value of your work for this community. If I was understood in such a way, I hereby want to apologize for any distress I may have caused on you side.

I simply got you wrong this time, not unlike your misunderstanding me the last time we "clashed" - maybe because of similar experiences in different communities, maybe because I did not evaluate your post long enough before responding.

As a matter of fact, I do think your site is a great addition to the community - otherwise I wouldn't have posted on your BBS, nor would I have been the first one to send you a photo and a short bio for your page.

I really did fear that you wanted exclusive hosting "rights" for those new mods - not that I would expect such a thing from you, but people often surprise others with yet unknown traits of character, so I did not put it past you - this only aaplies to you, but to each and every person I know, and that's not just my or just German general mistrust, that's what (imho, though not without repeated proof) many people think - and too often they're right.

Again, not unlike 15 months ago, I offend someone simlpy beause I don't know how to express myself in English. Well, I hope you will forgive me, as I really did not mean to offend you.

quote:

besides your site is linked to on the main screen - i hardly think a simple LINK spells doom for the community ! im simply trying to create a place where everything tm is accessible from 1 site - is that so bad ?

No, I don't think that's bad. I think we're all trying to do pretty much the same with our sites - that's what most community-driven communities work like, right?

Thx for the link -hope you don't mind if I link to your site as soon as I put links back in...

quote:

..and whats this construction phase you speak of ...

Well, it should not be too hard to miss that my site is under construction once again - pre-alpha again - that's what I speak of.

quote:

i dont see you designing t-shirts, becomming a distributor for tm instead of whining about it, making a major mod or anything else productive other than VRML.

I admit I'm not overly productive. Absolutely not. The reason why I'm putting lots of time and effort into that site of mine is that I see the need to preview a game addon before downloading it. I thought it was a good idea to be able see more than a screenshot of a 3D model offered for download. I also thought a VRML page like mine would suit this need. Maybe I was wrong and there is no need where I saw one.
I am not making T-Shirts because lots of other people already claim they are plannig to create designs and complete T-Shirts, I'm no artist, so I count myself out when it comes to design questions - except if people ask me to comment on something.
I am not going to become a TM distributor because it would cost more than this game could ever make up for - university life is not like non-stop holiday, you know, plus there's always this question whether selling something requires you to pay tax - income can be a very bad thing for a German student to regularly have... if you want a complete explanation concerning the exact reasons for my not wanting to become a TM distributor, we'll need a professional translator, as I'm not going to be able to explain in any language but German.
What's more, I'm not making a major mod for TM, because that would require both spare time and most probably artistic talent - I lack both.
My only real tries for contribution to this community are
a) that I try to answer questions concerning TM or the community or computer hard- or software whenever anyone asks one.
b) my constant work on a functioning map-editor and a sensible mod installer
c) the 60-90 minutes of on-line DMing I do every day to fill the servers - not that it's any fun without other hmans to play with or against.

I know that's not much, but I keep hoping I will be welcome in this community even without major contributions.

Again: I'm sorry my English is not good enough to understand and to make myself understood to native speakers like you.
In order to avoid such problems maybe I should refrain from posting as much as possible, ok?

IP:

JVortex
posted March 10, 2001 01:38 PM            
OK, now that that is defused (at least i hope so), back to the original topic. as to the question is anyone still making mods, yes i am. no great collection so far but i have 3. 2 have very minor bugs to work out before release, i just havent got em done yet is all. the 3rd is grating on my nerves because of spew problems...

Target!! if you want to send me your ent files (with propper directory structure) i can put together some models for you on those. i wont claim that they will have a 100% beautiful paint job, but it shouldnt be too bad either. include in email what you want the things to more or less look like and lets see what can be done.

im getting rather burnt out on mine at the moment and it would be good to tackle something else for a while.

if you want to you can get ahold of me on Instant Messenger with this screen name (JVortex) and we can yak about what youre after.

and man after all that im not sure where to release my mods at when they are done. i may have to host them on just my server. j/k, really. i kno text conversations can be easily misunderstood.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! (Under Heavy Construction)

IP:

synack
posted March 10, 2001 06:19 PM         
Dreamer, your English is terrific. I wish my German was as good. Prosit!

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 10, 2001 08:17 PM            
i agree with synack - i wish my german spanned any beyond good morning, afternoon, evening and ein shvi fear fumf zeck and zeven !

that said i was in an amazingly bad mood when i replied so i think we both bit off more than we could chew.

Appology accepted & no hard feelings, synacks right your english is very good.

i wont be looking for any "EXCLUSIVE" rights to anything tho - ever - it's all about mucking in and helping each other. If a file is available on more than one site then that just shows the popularity of that file.

You have nothing to fear from me dreamer, im not about to change the world of TM with 14 members and a weapons mod - hehehe !

im actually thinking of takling down the forum since apart from your good self its unused - the info on how to use X-Drive can be easily pasted onto a page.

ok then no hard feelings, 4gotten and swept away with the dust of time - heres an update on things.

Screensaver - 25% complete, need to get the 3d stuff in and get its size below 5 megs.

T-Shirts - designs rfor these with LDA permission will be up and available for purchase on an order basis from April.

Flags - I have replaced the stock flags, i have moved clan flags to their own place and given them .ent files. I will be including all the lonewolf flags and persoa logos submitted to DMF. And im making around 50 new ones that simply add to stock flags including all the existing battlezone flags ready for the mod.

BZ Mod - lots still to do here, cant seem to get the scale right for the tanks.

BZ Maps - completed.

Photo album : more required

Clans - SvT joins up from battlezone (with much persuasion from me) hoping to bring the rest of the clan with him.

Persona Logos - more please !!!!!! the more the merrier.

dreamer, i'll chill next time and try to understand what your saying behgind the words.-

i think thats about it 4 now, ok target over to you ! lol

sry 4 the drama - lol

-=[/2]=-

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 10, 2001 08:18 PM            
ps: dreamer - nice goatee man !

IP:

Skandranon
posted March 12, 2001 03:19 PM            
I've been using some of my (limited) spare time to modify weapons and create new models. Might as well... I have a full copy of Lightwave - yes, it's legal. *chuckle*

I, however, have very limited experience, so it's slow going, and do not have an LUV mapper. Someone point me to a good one, and I'll start releasing new weapons and tanks sometime soon.

I think I have a few good ideas for weapons (anyone want to help? ICQ me - I really do think I have a couple of winners ), but also, given enough time, plan on creating some realistic tanks as well.

For the Euros out there - how about some Leopard, LeClerc, AMX, or Challenger tanks? And I'd like to make some WWII tanks if I get the time.

Skandranon

IP:

peeeto
posted March 12, 2001 04:21 PM         
hey Skand- Lithium has written a very nice program for creating LUV files. see the Modifications Forum and http://www.geocities.com/uvmapper/

if you don't have DirectX 8.0, the current version won't work. email Lithium or me for an earlier version that will work without DX8.

as for modeling, i'd really like to see a Challenger tank!
i've worked on an Israeli Merkava that i dl'd off the web, and modeled a German WWII Tiger Tank from scratch (they're almost done).

IP:

Lithium
posted March 12, 2001 11:30 PM         
peeeto:
I have something new that will change all of that. No more DirectX 8 requirements.
I'll try to post something in a couple of days.

IP:

peeeto
posted March 13, 2001 09:26 AM         
cool, Lithium! i will defer any requests your way, then...

IP:

Dreamer
posted March 13, 2001 10:55 AM         
Matrix - nice... what?

IP:

peeeto
posted March 13, 2001 12:41 PM         
"goatee" - that's you're type of beard!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 13, 2001 01:43 PM            
I have a goatee too. But its patchy, darn indian blood.

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

Dreamer
posted March 13, 2001 02:27 PM         
*grins*
Err... well... yes. Thx, peeeto...
I should definitely do sth. about my almost nonexistent knowledge of the ... more colloquial aspects of the English language...

----------------

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 13, 2001 07:41 PM            
English is easy if you can't think of a word substitue "cool", "dude", or "like you know" and you'll be fine.

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

Target!!
posted March 24, 2001 04:36 PM            
Owie !! Jeesh o Peet !! LOL.
I didnt realize my original request would generate such lively debates. But it's nice to at least see everyone is conversing.. and doing so intelligently. Very cool.

Anyways, out of all those postings I only saw one (maybe two) people who were clearly indicating that they would making weapon models and art work.

I will check out with JVortex first I guess... but If anyone else is interested, I guess I will take a look at the ideas and see what anyone else has to propose as for the look and feel of the weapons.

Thanks for your responces thus far !!

Target!!

IP:

JVortex
posted March 24, 2001 06:32 PM            
well... if you gotta check things out with me... then i guess you can... if you really want to... *siiiiggghhhh*

anyhow, i look foreward to touchin base with you on these.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! (Under Heavy Construction)

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 24, 2001 11:11 PM            
You guys need to get ahold of Skandranon if you can.You've prob played on his mod server.I believe he is going to create some mods that sound really cool,like new weapons

IP:

JVortex
posted March 25, 2001 12:03 AM            
ya, i was yakin with him in-game today, hes got some cool gears spinnin

------------------

IP: