|
Author Topic:   viper2? hahaha
[S&L]Snake
posted March 07, 2001 02:35 AM            
I have a s3 viper2 agp, and am suspecting it is the cause of my very frequent lockups. when treadmarks forces me to close with an illegal operation, under details it states a problem with my card's S2Kicd. I've tried turning off a number of the card's advanced features, like 4X, Sidebanding, lowering the aperture, turning off the w-buffer, and it still locks the demo at 2 to 4 minutes in play. I tried turning all of the gfx options in treadmarks down to rock bottom, locks. All the way up (10000 triangle, trilinear, fog, etc), locks.

has anyone had some success with a viper2 or even an s3 card at all? if so, what drivers were you using???

i'm currently using the .9010 drivers, cause they smoke in ut. it really would be a shame if i couldn't get the demo to work, cause the 20 minutes i've played so far have been swooby.

------------------
DX-Ball2 is the only good game that you can play without a keyboard. Yummy!

IP:

JL
posted March 07, 2001 07:45 AM            
There is a program called glsetup ( http://www.glsetup.com/ ) that should find and install the lastest open gl drivers.
Or you can try this driver from S3, it worked for me without any problems. http://www.diamondmm.com/default.asp?menu=support&submenu=Legacy_Graphics&item=drivers&product=Viper_II

[This message has been edited by JL (edited March 07, 2001).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted March 07, 2001 09:22 AM            
I ran TM fine on my S2k for almost a year. You do have T&L turned off, right? The S2k's T&L unit is worse than useless... BTW, the latest drivers are under the "S3 Graphic chips" section last I checked.

IP:

[S&L]Snake
posted March 07, 2001 04:27 PM            
Yes, i do know that T&L is worthless, it causes artifacts in most opengl games. but, the real problem is driver versions. i tried switching to the newest reference ones (.9012), but they locked...and they also make weird artifacts when switching resolution. I tried my favorite stability drivers, too (Black Abyss Tweaked)...they locked...amazingly. and the drivers listed on diamond's site are old and cause locks on some CStrike and TFC maps.

damn, i hope someone that isn't a dingus knows of any tweaks i can do to the game itself that will work...otherwise, i hope that the uninstall works

good day to you!

IP: