|
Author Topic:   I have a problem...
WoLLyBoY
posted March 05, 2001 10:01 PM            
Well I haven't been playing all that long although I have had this game for almost a year...

I got this game at the Game Developers Conf. last year (for free I might add) and always liked it just never played it much. Now however my roommate and I recanlty purcased a hub and have been playing lan games almost constantly so when I suggested this game it became one of our favs. I went to the website finaly and got the 1.5.9 patch...
Well when I installed that patch it stoped working for me...
Every time i try to run TM in Hardware OpenGL it askes for mss32.dll and gives me an error message...
this is really getting to me becuse I really like CTF games and playing them would have made TM all the more enjoyable...
but now I have no coice but to go back to the 1.0.0

If anyone could help me with this I would be most apreccitave...

IP:

Vlad
posted March 05, 2001 10:34 PM            
quote:
I got this game at the Game Developers Conf. last year

quote:
I went to the website finaly and got the 1.5.9 patch...

There's your problem. The version you got at the GDC was ver 1.0.1. Unfortunately, you've got to pay to upgrade to 1.5.0. The 1.5.9 patch only works on 1.5.0.

The upgrade info is on the main news page.

IP:

WoLLyBoY
posted March 05, 2001 10:50 PM            
Bah.
Why would I want to pay for a game i already have?
It dosen't make sense...
i understand that this is a game made by a small co. but still...

Oh well then NM I will find something else to play :-P

Oh will you guys be at the GDC this year?

[This message has been edited by WoLLyBoY (edited March 05, 2001).]

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted March 05, 2001 11:13 PM            
The upgrade is a minimal cost for the 1.5 version and is well worth the cost. The upgrade to the 1.5.9 version is free after the initial upgrade to 1.5. I hope that you change your mind and purchase the upgrade you will like it even more with the latest version. Hope to see you in multi-player.

------------------
Pass the salt - it's time to go to sea. Clan TC

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted March 05, 2001 11:14 PM            
This is too difficult to respond to:

No, we won't be at the GDC this year...

...Guess why not? .....

Jim

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 06, 2001 05:37 AM            
1.0 till 1.whatever came before 1.5 - these are like demo / beta / promo / pre-release versions - call it what you will.

1.5.0 is the FINAL RELEASE VERSION, which by the way is on budget already so join us happy gamers and reach into your deepest of pockets.

and remember - anything FREE often comes with a hidden price.

-=[/2]=-

IP:

Vlad
posted March 06, 2001 10:03 AM            
quote:
1.0 till 1.whatever came before 1.5 - these are like demo / beta / promo / pre-release versions - call it what you will

Actually, 1.0.0 was the demo version, and 1.0.1 was the original full version.

IP:

Hunter
posted March 06, 2001 11:49 AM            
Vlad is like a reporter he quotes everyone. Well quote this where are you? I never see you on the servers, the only place I have seen is on the demo servers, course you killed me there so maybe I am better off not to see you in the real game.
WollyBoY, the latest release has better graphics and is totally worth the doe rae me buy it, buy it, buy it.

IP:

peeeto
posted March 06, 2001 12:29 PM         
sheesh, WoLLyBoY, it's only 20 bucks now...

i wish you'd reconsider, especially if it's become one of your favorite games. you can see that alot of hard work has gone into it. why not help support such quality software?

IP:

Vlad
posted March 06, 2001 02:56 PM            
Hunter: hehehe.. Well, to answer your question, I don't have 1.5, yet. Unfortunately, there's no 1.0.1 servers up that ever have any people in them (I think the homelan ones are 1.0.1), so I'm usually playing on the NGI server, or Sheldon's (which seems to have vanished off the face of the planet recently).

I haven't had much time to play ANYTHING recently. My girlfriend and I got a new puppy at home a few weeks ago, and she's taken over the house (the puppy, not the girlfriend). I may try the 1.5 demo this weekend, but until I do, I'm not going to buy the upgrade. Heck, even if I wanted to, it'd be hard to convince the gf that the $10 is justifiable :-).

IP:

Dreamer
posted March 06, 2001 03:50 PM         
strange... my gf has absolutely no (conscious) influence on the way I spend my money...

IP:

Vlad
posted March 06, 2001 04:04 PM            
Heck, I agree with her. We've got quite a few expenses that need to be paid on a monthly basis.

I think I'll weasel $10 out of my incoming tax return to get it for, though

IP:

Hunter
posted March 06, 2001 05:23 PM            
So you pay money for a dog that is going to cost you money to feed, but the game is a one time purchase, whos the dog for anyway, just say its hers and you want to get yourself something to play with. Take it from me, (a married man) dont let her push you around now it only gets worse, once you have kids she can play against you also. The deeper you get the worse it gets, but I am happily married.

------------------
Stop the gibber jabber I need work (DNX)

IP:

Vlad
posted March 06, 2001 05:30 PM            
Grrr... I was hoping nobody would catch on to the whole "dogs cost money" thing :-)

It's actually our dog (we live together, so it's not like it stays with only one of us). Heck, if anything, I tend to play with the little pup more than she does (like I said, the dog owns the apartment now). And kids? Yick. Thankfully, neither one of us likes kids at all.

Besides, I keep an eye on her as well. She tends to want to get new work clothes, or yet another pair of shoes, I mention that it's a bit of an unnecessary expense.

The pup actually is working out rather well. We've both been a LOT more active in the past few weeks (we were both quite the couch potatos before). It's amazing how much energy a 10 week old puppy has :-)

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted March 06, 2001 07:32 PM            
*5 Years latter* NO!!! FIDO!!!! PUT DOWN THE COUCH! Don't tunnel Into the next apartment!!!!! *BOOM!!!* My Familys much safer we have a 15 year old cat! Im surprised it can move!!!! talk bout ainceint

------------------
Commander and Chief of Smiley Kingdom

IP:

Vlad
posted March 07, 2001 09:41 AM            
Something tells me that we won't have any couch stealing problems. She's a Miniature Schnauzer... not going to get that big :-)

IP:

Skandranon
posted March 09, 2001 06:35 PM            
Am I the only one that's really disturbed by what Jim/LDA said up above?

Skandranon

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 09, 2001 11:35 PM            
I'm guessing because they don't hve a new game to show off.Isn't the GDC for developers to show off their new and upcoming games?I hope thats the reason they will not attend.

IP:

swisher
posted March 09, 2001 11:41 PM            
Skandranon,

You probably didn't know this. Jim's son, Seumas, died shortly after the conference last year. Seumas was the sole programmer of Tread Marks prior to release 1.5. Tread Marks took home three awards at the conference, including Best Game.

A memorial to Seumas can be viewed at http://www.gamedev.net/community/memorial/seumas

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

Skandranon
posted March 12, 2001 03:11 PM            
Umm.. yeah, Swisher, I've been around longer than you think - pre 1.0 release.

I just thought he might be implying they were dissolving the company; As in "We don't have anything else to develop and aren't attending."

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted March 12, 2001 03:41 PM            
No, not at all.

Forgive me, I'm just getting a little sensitive and snappy as March 21st, the 1st anniversary of Seumas' death approaches.

Plans for LDA are to push forward new design features and game enhancements for Tread Marks PC. This allows us to prototype features for the PS2 game which will be deathmatch based, while creating a new base for future PC games.

We've consolidated LDA back to a core of 4, plus 2 console programmers on contract.

The PS2 project got started in October and we have just past the halfway point on schedule. The total project time is ten months, so we expect to be showing a solid game by E3 and be into Sony QA by late July.

We're flat out busy and flat out financing our projects. Calls from investors or PS2 publishers are welcome

Also, I'm not sure that I'd want to be in a crowd at GDC March 21st.

Jim

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 13, 2001 12:09 AM            
Maybe next year we can have a TM field trip to the GDC meeting

IP:

synack
posted March 13, 2001 08:25 AM         
Jim,

I'm sure I speak for all of us out here when I say that our thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

IP: