This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

|
Author Topic:   Will this wonderful game come to PS2??
fred99
posted February 17, 2001 07:07 PM         
Will this super fun game come to PlayStation 2???
I think it would be awesome if it did..

Any plans??

/Fred

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted February 17, 2001 09:07 PM            
This could almost be a plant...but isn't

Yes, we are actively developing a PS2 version of Tread Marks which will be ready for release in the fall.

It won't be a simple port of Tread Marks, but will have many different features including for example, a strong single player death-match progression with races as secondary "unlock" levels.

Much more to follow in due course....

Jim

IP:

Kaeto
posted February 17, 2001 11:01 PM            
I hope all the enhancements get backported to the PC version - I really hate playing TM with a gamepad.

IP:

sodom
posted February 18, 2001 06:32 AM         
heh i never post, but.
im not going to fault you guys for developing TM for ps2, but i am somewhat disapointed.

rant starts here:
the last game i bought *cough* (s)hitman, was total crap because the game companies involved couldnt wait to start developing games for the ps2. it seems like pc games, if they dont stop making them entirely, will be ported from their console counterparts. such as that, they will be limited to the technology of the console system for which they are designed. play oni much? sure its fun, but check out that ****y level design and texture quality. i suspect it was designed for the ps2 from the start. it makes me wonder how many other pc games with shoty textures and level detail are going to be released in the near future...

im just wondering if you guys are going to phase out of the pc market along with everyone else?

IP:

fred99
posted February 18, 2001 01:33 PM         
GREAT!!!!!

This game is gonna rock on the PS2!!! (It rocks on PC aswell)!
I cant wait to play it on my 32" TV

And you can (if you want, and if you know the system) make it better than the PC version.. (graphic wise)

Just think of GT3 graphics...!!

Thanks LDA!!

/Freddy or Fred

IP:

Kaeto
posted February 18, 2001 02:56 PM            
Actually, the PS2 isn't all that. My PC walks all over it (and I mean ALL over it) :P

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted February 18, 2001 03:18 PM            
Hmm, first I'm not sure if my textures and design in TM are being crapped on by association or not, so I'll comment on how and why we did TM the way we did, then comment on the PS2 issue.

With only four of us working on Tread Marks, texture and design decisions had nothing to do with future console titles, but were made to help us beat the ultimate milestone, Seumas' deteriorating health and impending death. And we managed to complete TM in roughly a 14 month development cycle during which time we also made DX-Ball 2. In a nutshell, "Texturizer" was the key for me.

As for the PS2. I see it as a challenge and additional opportunity and not as a wholesale shift in LDA policy.

No, we're not going to phase our of the PC market. We plan to follow our design dreams, only tempering them by the reality that bills must be paid. And as many of those dreams are niche market designs, you can't beat the PC for that.

Jim

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted February 18, 2001 03:31 PM            
PS2 Tread Marks.

Given that consoles are generally played single player with occasional split screen multiplayer action, a lot of the design changes that are planned for the PS2 version of Tread Marks will be aimed at the single player console experience.

We'll likely build the game around a deathmatch progression with unlocking of extra tanks, weapons and maps, etc, etc, etc.

Network multiplayer, when it arrives, is pretty much covered already.

Jim

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted February 18, 2001 04:10 PM            
And to clarify....

we intend to design and develop games with high-end PC's in mind, then dumb them down as necessary to "fit" on various console platforms...not the other way around.

Jim

IP:

Kaeto
posted February 18, 2001 05:33 PM            
Nice to know

And 3 posts in a row - wow Jim!

IP:

fred99
posted February 18, 2001 06:04 PM         
I know your not going to do it.. But do you think it would be possible for TM or a sequel to get these type of graphics??? (It would be sweet!)

And a question: Is the PS2 hard to develop for?? I've read that its totaly diffrent from a PC so you must rethink.

I love your game... When will it be avalible in sweden??? I cant find it. (gotta check the online stores)
When will TM be avalible for the PS2?
Thanks!

/Fred

[This message has been edited by fred99 (edited February 18, 2001).]

IP:

fred99
posted February 18, 2001 06:16 PM         
One more question Jim..

Sence your a developer I must ask you...
Is it true that PC games only can use 3-5mpps (million polygons per second)?
And what is the highest polygon number you have used?
Ive always wonderd if it is true.

Thank you!

/Fred

IP:

Kaeto
posted February 18, 2001 08:18 PM            
Just FYI, GT3 doesn't actually look that good. I know several people (who are BIG GT fans) and they say it doesn't look that good. It looks pretty good in the replays, but BAD in the actual game. Maybe they'll fix that though - GT1/2 were really cool games, it'd be a shame for GT3 to not live up to it's potential.

Re: your question.

1. It's not true.
2. The PS2 is lucky to make those numbers. Most games won't. That's straight from a programmer at Square.

PCs have been for quite a while and always will be more powerful than consoles.

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted February 18, 2001 10:41 PM            
A console system offers a "single" system configuration to develop for. If it runs on one it runs on all... Plus, if someone buys a console system, they usually plan to buy games for it.

With the PC you have to decide where to cut off performance to maintain compatibility with more systems, and that depends on the audience you are developing for.

We set a much lower compatibility level for DX-ball 2 than for Tread Marks as the DX-ball 2 players are often not as "game" oriented and run slower/older systems than the Tread Marks players.

The "mighty" X-Box will run on something like a mid 700s PIII with an amazing (today) nvidia video chip-set, which will be available for PCs well before the X-Box release.

Thus, the X-Box will have to compete with high-end PCs which is why Microsoft is busy buying up title "exclusivity".

Jim

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 19, 2001 06:01 AM            
Well i have a Dreamcast !

And let me tell you - ive played gt3's demo and the gfx are so sharp it hurts your eyes. Tekken Tag sux and Street fighter looks crummy.

Id say that ppl are porting the code and expecting ps2 to do all the hard work; this logic isnt paying off - MGS2 will be the the saviour for ps2.

In the meantime check out some racing / tank games on Dc im sure you will find the gfx are somewhat less harsh on the eyes and the gfx are on a par with current ps2 titles.

Grtanted ps2 will flourish and zip ahead, but its some way to go first - DC rules so far. I have /|/vidia chipset in my pc (which is in x-box) so if you make one for DC its also going to work on XB since the development platform is WinCE.

would be nice to see TM on PS2/DC/XB and really get the interest sparked - but DC only has a 33k modem ! would thnis cause a problem ?

and will the current servers accept logins from ps2/DC or XB in the future - or wll we need patch 1.6.0 ?

Just my penneth-worth.
=[/2]=

IP:

Kaeto
posted February 19, 2001 08:36 AM            
quote:
since the development platform is WinCE.

Actually, that's not quite true :
1. CE is optional, and almost noone uses it (SEGA's libraries are much better)
2. Just because something is written on windows doesn't mean it will work on any windows system. If DC WinCE code needed to be ported to the PC, you'd probably be better off rewriting the whole thing...

IP:

fred99
posted February 19, 2001 03:32 PM         
I dont think XB is all that(or is gonna be)..

I dont think it will win this generation consolewar because lack of AAA games. (XBOX=portbox)

I bought my PS2 (and PC) for the games, not the power. (though my ps2 kicks my computers arse)

Thanks for the respons..
/Fred

PS: TM here i come!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 20, 2001 01:33 AM            
Can't imagine Treadmarks doing well in the PS2 community since multiplayer is the core of the computer version.But if the are able to make the single player part more interesting(not saying its bad,but I wouldn't have bought the game if there was no multiplayer)then the game could be a hit.Sorta like the Twisted Metal games for PS but this game is much better of course
Just my opinion.PS2 rocks and TM rocks so that could be enough to make it an instant hit.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 20, 2001 01:40 AM            
Oh yeah,SCREW PS2 AND XBOX.COMPTUER GAMES WILL ALWAYS BE FAR SUPERIOR TO CONSOLE GAMES BECAUSE OF THE SIMPLE FACT OF UPGRADIBILTIY.I hope I don't find out they can be upgraded after I wrote this I'll stick with comp gaming like I have for the past ten years.Yes,my pockets will always be empty,but I try to keep up with technology as it comes out so my games will run circles around any PS2 or XBOX games.

IP:

Hunter
posted February 20, 2001 02:12 PM            
I agree with Superunknown. PC games rule.....Always will.

IP:

fred99
posted February 21, 2001 03:16 PM         
I do not agree.

I find console game much more fun. (But TM are still fun )

I like both.. PC and console..

But I think console graphics are superior to PC graphics.. Right now that is.

/Freddy

IP:

Kaeto
posted February 21, 2001 03:34 PM            
quote:
But I think console graphics are superior to PC graphics.. Right now that is.

Show me a console that could run Giants : Citizen Kabuto.

Trust me, they aren't even CLOSE. That's not opinion, that's plain ole' fact.

IP:

fred99
posted February 21, 2001 04:06 PM         
PC games arent using as many polys as the next gen consoles are.. Like PS2 games 20 000 000-25 000 000 pps.. (GT3 has been know to push 20mpps)
Even the DC uses more (max 6 000 000).

You can just look at the GT3 screens above. I have seen the game.. It looks like that when you play it.
And I can show you another good looking game.

Really you must see this game in motion to know what Im talking about. Here is a link of some nice vids.. http://www.coremagazine.com/news/3723-2.php3

And that Gigant's game is coming for the PS2 aswell

Metal Gear Solid is just one example. I could show you others like The Getaway, Onimusha, ect.

/fred

[This message has been edited by fred99 (edited February 21, 2001).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 21, 2001 04:55 PM            
And I can show you PC games that look better than that.Notice the bent polygons on the screen shots you provided.Look at the corners of the cabinents in the back of the room.Everything has a jaggy look to it.Most 3d cards would smoothe that out and make it look a whole lot better.
I didn't say consoles were bad,I just said PC games look better.Maybe PC can process thedata better than consoles.I admit that some PS2 games look sweet and its a major improvment over PS1.I don't really care what the developers say the console can do.Proof is in the screen shots.Hell,even compare some of those polys with TM which is pretty old.

IP:

Kaeto
posted February 21, 2001 07:22 PM            
quote:
PC games arent using as many polys as the next gen consoles are.. Like PS2 games 20 000 000-25 000 000 pps.. (GT3 has been know to push 20mpps) Even the DC uses more (max 6 000 000).

That's simply not true. Get some real info (not just numbers you read on some website), and you'll see.

quote:
You can just look at the GT3 screens above. I have seen the game.. It looks like that when you play it.

It looks as good as the first shot, yes, but my PC can EASILY do that.

quote:
And that Gigant's game is coming for the PS2 aswell

Then why hasn't PlanetMoon said anything about it? Giants would not work on a console - it has too many controls.

quote:
And I can show you another good looking game.

I've watched the MGS2 vids - while the gameplay looks to rock, the graphics are again not impressive to me.

quote:
Metal Gear Solid is just one example. I could show you others like The Getaway, Onimusha, ect.

All of which would run better on my PC than the PS2. I know my stuff, don't make me back it up with math :P

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2