|
Author Topic:   Server Settings Question
JVortex
posted February 16, 2001 02:14 AM            
I have seen a few posts here about server settings, but none seem to help me out.

1st of all i'm trying to set up a server on (dont laugh) a 56K connection. This server is only intended for use for myself and 2 friends to use (plus a couple bots).

For the initial attempts (all 3) my friend got the same error when trying to connect, there was a map load failure. This was on The Moon, Pugmill and on The Ramp. So i know that he had the tracks.

He has a cable modem so i know that _he_ had the speed even if i didnt. i think the main questions i have are these:
1) what should the dedicatedFPS be set to? (is 10 now)
2) SendHeartbeats should be what? (is 18 now)
3) ServerRate = ?? (is 3,000 now)
4) What should his net rate be set at?
5) Also, what should my net rate be set to (in game) for myself to log in and play? not that i have actually gotten that far yet.

I'm sure that someone would suggest turning on the allow joins and having him link in by my IP so i will say ahead of time, I did... Same thing happened. The other obvious thing to do would be to have him host the game with his cable connection, but for reasons I wont bother with here that really isnt an option.

OK, now without brow-beating me too badly for being a fool w/ a 56K, is there anything to be done ASIDE from getting a faster connection? I hopefully will have a cable modem in a few months

OH! on a final note (assuming that i can get this to work!) can the config file be edited while the server is running and have the changes take effect or does the server have to be shut down to make any changes?

Thanks all for (almost) any input.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site!!

IP:

Kaeto
posted February 16, 2001 08:12 AM            
Nope. TM is so horribly laggy when the host is on a modem connection that it's not worth playing like that.

IP:

JVortex
posted February 17, 2001 12:26 AM            
Well damn, i was affraid of that...

OK then i pose the same questions in reverse. to get him to play i will need to set up the config file here, then i can just send it to him. Since he has the cable modem what should the settings be at (on average)?

If i have an approx i can fine tune things from there. Thanks.

------------------

IP:

Kaeto
posted February 17, 2001 10:37 AM            
10 FPS
# out the masterserver line so you have to type the IP in to join

And that's about it, other than setting up bots and whatnot.

IP:

JVortex
posted February 17, 2001 04:01 PM            
OK, thanks Kaeto, I'll give it a shot.

------------------

IP: