This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3  |
Author Topic:   Sorry guys - LDA ATTENTION PLEASE
=DNX= Matrix
posted February 08, 2001 09:27 PM            
After 2 weeks of seeing 13 servers full of bots i think its about time i had my money back, if the game was as well supported as this forum it would be a good place, but ive seen nobody but cheese in a fortnight.

Ive taken thought to the MODS and screensavers n stuff, and with all honesty i cant see it helping matters.

4 of my clan guys have bought this game and are shouting at me for there not being any players. Some ven complain about the controls and lag.

I think i may move to soldier of fortune maybe, its undecided yet.

Its all well saying theres loadsa ppl on the demo server, but u dont want em there - you wantem on the full server, if ppl get the full game then have to download the demo in order to face a real person and not a bot, then thats retro active and a move backwards.

I sure hope you guys have sumthin up your sleave cos i dont pay to get online and fight bots.

-=[/2]=-

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted February 08, 2001 11:14 PM            
What can I say....no advertising...I have yet to have anyone report a single ad for TM in the UK.

1. I'm still waiting for the German release.

2. TM should be in US Army base stores in a week or so.

3. Otherwise we are left starting over with other distribution options....which we are working on but are somewhat restricted until the middle of the month. Then we can breath some fresh air and move in any direction we want to...

But...at the moment we are in a legal fight...and we should have full control of TM by mid month....afterwhich we can leave the remaining legal fight to the sidelines.

Jim

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 08, 2001 11:29 PM            
I'm going to hold out.I know the game will eventually get the break it deserves.In the meantime,I can handle fighting nothing but bots every once in a while.If there is anything I can do LDA, let me know.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted February 09, 2001 12:35 AM            
I'm with super on this one. I'm willing to suffer through the hardships with LDA. And after mid-month we need to start a revolution. Post flyers of the game everywhere. Send demos to the computer science departments of our local universities. Get someone to go on a hunger strike so a news crew will go to there house and film them; okay that last one was kinda drastic, but a will grass-roots campaign might help a lot.

There is no one more ravenous then an avid gamer

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 09, 2001 12:45 AM            
Dont get me wrong here guys, i love the game to bits, its graphicly and plably unarguably the best game i ever played, im just sick of seeing empty servers.

sorry Jim i didnt know the state of the legal thing, but if u say mid-month then thats not so long and i guess i can hold out.

If you look at my shop report you will see that i canvassed shps and the majority did have the game, but it was mostly 3 copies on a corner shelf and no standups.

If i can be made an authorised reseller for the game, im sure i can generate much business for you here in the uk - but as u say its all legal and red tape. As you know i have amny many ideas to help, but it all needs to go thru the "redtape" process. Most of it is in place and ready to go.

Maybe i can run a competition on my community site and generate some interest for ya. Im needing something like that anyway.

Mull it over and let me know.

Kust gettin tired guys, i think most of ya know where im commin from - btw i now HAVE a proper copy of the d3demomaker REGISTERED so as soon as i figure it out ill be making a proper screensaver.

Bung that on 3dfiles.com and get some more visits on treadmarks.com

Maybe an LDA Uk division isnt outa the question either lol.

Ok, i know im gettin way ahead of myself here, Jim get that legal stuff sorted and lets give this game the advertising and access it deserves.

-=[/2]=-

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted February 09, 2001 02:18 AM            
Authorized resellers....hmmm...not a bad idea

As of the middle of the month there will be no-one with exclusivity....thus LDA can wholesale to anyone....and with a retail price down at $20....20 boxes to a case...

...retailers don't pay for at least 60 days anyway...so you'd pay for them after you sold them...you'd make decent money too....could get some local user groups going that way....

....there are other options too...using the digipaks again....nice and compact...

Yes...we'll have to discuss options...

Jim

IP:

Rex R
posted February 09, 2001 02:25 AM            
well you can look at the lack of humans as bad or you can think of it as I do lots of practice in dealing with the difference between single and multi(lag an all) so that I'll be that much further ahead of the learning curve (evil grin) when we do start getting more humans. after all there are differences between the demo and 1.59 that will surely surprise them.<veg> as for newbies...<maniacal laugh>

IP:

Karldar
posted February 09, 2001 04:29 AM            
When coax mentioned flyers, the (admittedly tiny) light bulb went off in my noggin. There's a state U in the town I live in and I have a color printer. Would it be infringing on any copyrights/trademarks to print flyers with the TM name and website and post them here, there and everywhere, Jim? I'm willing to do at least that for my favorite game.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 09, 2001 04:50 AM            
How about getting a demo out and putting it on the demo cd's that game magizines circulte.Thats about the fastest and most effective way I think that this game can reach "gamers".Is there plans to have a multiplayer 1.5* demo?When I subscribed to magizines like PCGamer,I played the hell out of all the games on the cd,and if I really liked it, I would purchase the game(or *cough* get it off the net *cough*)I don't think there would be any problem with TM getting gamers' attentions If there can be a demo,I would harass the gaming magizines to get the demo on it.Cmon guys,whatta ya say?Are you ready to take this game to the next level?I'll do my part and literally harass magizines.You could even give me a LDA title like "lead circulator" (with no pay of course )so I could get into some doors.Heck,I'll go ahead and email some people and see what it takes to get a game onto the cd's.In the meantime,start toying with the notion to get a new mutliplayer demo out.

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited February 09, 2001).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 09, 2001 04:56 AM            
Oh yeah Matrix,you keep you @$$ here,Things are just getting started!If I have to haul this whole game on my back!..........

IP:

Dreamer
posted February 09, 2001 06:30 AM         
How many ****** rippersr are on this board, anyway?

IP:

swisher
posted February 09, 2001 09:10 AM            
Inclusuion on gaming magazine's CDs has got to help -- it places the product directly into the hands of those who'd play it.
Multi-Player on the demo would help. The problem encountered in demo version 1.0.1 was that nobody bought the game because the demo was too complete. Perhaps reinstate multi-player, nukes, in fact the ball of wax, but have the entire demo (single- or multi-player) time-out after 15 or more minutes of play. I suppose such a time limit would eventually get hacked (like the 4 board limit in DX-Ball 2), but by the time it does, you could re-release the product with some minor enhancement and a version change (then people running a hacked version would get the "wrong version" message when trying to join a multi-player game; people re-downloading the new demo would have the 15 minute time limit; hackers could re-hack the new demo, but you could make it more difficult by reshuffling code, changing the time limit a little, etc., causing the offsets to change).

The 15 (or more) minute time limit would give users a taste of everything that Tread Marks has to offer.

The PC magazine CDs is an excellent idea, but my fear is that the demo is not complete enough to impress that "hard-core" audience.

Darn marketing. It's difficult to write software, but even more difficult to sell it!

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

Kaeto
posted February 09, 2001 09:32 AM            
Another thing that might help would be doing a promo trailer, and seeing if you could get that distributed on CDs. I know the trailers for Thief 2 are what MADE me buy the game, more than anything else.

IMO the demo is complete enough - it's got more features than most demos these days.

IP:

peeeto
posted February 09, 2001 10:02 AM         
re: multiplayer demo

i totally agree with having a demo that's MP enabled. that's what got me hooked
on the game in the first place.

however, i also agree that the 1st demo gave too much. i like the idea of limiting
the time that a demo player can stay connected to a game, BUT, think about how
frustrating to regulars it would be to have a great game going on, then players
just start disappearing, being replaced by bots! i'd hate it!

also, 15 min is too long I think 10 min would be better. and, the server should
lock out their IP for at least an hour.

one way to get around pissing regulars off may be to give server ops the option
to allow demo players or not, then regs could play on +demo servers, and
choose to gather at a -demo server if enough full version players are online.

LDA, you would have to make sure that there is at least one decent +demo server active at all times!

re: advertising

a must!

i always think about the fact (IMHO) that if a software store ran the game on a
computer in their store, in demo mode, people would just have to have it!

if there is some way to arrange something like that, then the store should also
have free copies of the demo on CD handy for people to snatch up.

providing the demo in mags and on campuses is a great idea too!

------------------
Black Widow Lance all the way, baby!

IP:

peeeto
posted February 09, 2001 10:31 AM         
also, LDA (and i'm not trying to bitch you out, ok? - i have nothing but the greatest respect for you all!)
please, please discuss changes you make to the demo& game with us here on the BBS before they're implemented in final!

there are alot of experienced, creative, and rational (beleive it or not ) gamers here that want this game to succeed and can help you make the best product you can! i'd hate for you to "waste" your time on things that won't make a difference.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted February 09, 2001 12:19 PM            
Thats the spirit guys, I have a cd burner so i can make demo cds with no problem. I have no problem making flyers and/or distributing them anywhere. Or bugging computer magazines to include the demo. Bug-bug-bug-advertize-advertize-advertize. The revolution begins today. lol, or maybe mid-month we'll see.

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

Spooky
posted February 09, 2001 05:06 PM         
I noticed that Dreamer seems rather down on the rippers, and I can understand the many reasons for this, but Guess where I learned of TM. I found it in the friggin news groups, not the demo, but the whole game, it even worked with the patches, and I found that I could use my own MP3's for the soundtrack...too cool. There had been no advertising for this game in any of the mags so I was keen to check it out. After unzipping, unRARing, and unpacking I ran the game and was hooked. After playing for a week or so, I had the server up and Tom himself droped in for a quick visit (this is where he found out about the Ai not rolling over to the next map). I thought "damn, that dude is actually working his ass off to give players the best game that he can". A friend of mine who Worked on both Unreal and Unreal Tourney was the same way check his work out at http://www.planetshane.com/

Then a feeling of very minor guilt came over me, just a twinge, but enough to make me head to EB and pick up a copy-- only $19.99

"Recoil", "Warspite", and newbie "Rottwang" are all friends of mine here in town and all of them have purchased this game, they love it. Thats a total of 4 real copies of TM that have been sold directly because of the wonderful rippers.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted February 09, 2001 06:42 PM            
I also have a cd burner Don't use it much though. And we just got this giant 125 lb printer. OUCH!!! should've tried to see us getting it outa the car. Anyway i'll help put up flyers and burn cd's. Just one thingy? How much does a blank cd cost? I think its about $2 right? or $6? or $3,000,000?

------------------
Can't forget those invisible smileys at the bottem now can we

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 09, 2001 11:03 PM            
[Swisher],I like the timed demo idea,its either that or stripping the game down a little,but you would still prob have demo only players like there is now.10-15 minutes of play time should be enough for a person to decide if they like the game or not.
[Coax and Ant],leave the burning to the magazines Thats what they do.Plus I think they use special cd's that can be read by all CD drives.Some burnt cd's are unreadible on some drives.
[Dreamer],I've only ripped games like Quake 3, Unreal Tournement.............Games that do not matter if they can be gotten of the net for free because they still make a killing.If the game is not made by the big names and I like it,I go buy the game...like TM.I could have easily gotten it off a warez site.I saw it on one before I purchased the game
[LDA]Where are you?We need some input in here before this thread dies out.

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited February 09, 2001).]

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted February 10, 2001 12:01 AM            
I'm still being cautious until we have full control officially back.....but in general.....

A bad publisher can do a product like Tread Marks a lot more damage than pirates can....at least pirates play the game....and then hopefully buy it if they like it and the price....

As we piece this back together, LDA is left pretty much stripped to the bone....which means that we will provide as much support as as we can afford to.....to keep the servers running and work to get the game into budget channels at $19.99 ...but can't afford any advertising for the PC version at this time.

We'll see what we can do....and thanks for all the suggestions It really helps keep us plugging along....

Jim

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 10, 2001 04:34 AM            
Jim,

If i have authorisation i can do all the advertising you want in the uk - again the t-shirts thing is fully viable and if we pursue that ill get some bulk prices together for you.

A major advertising campaign is to start around April time for the www.fivetownsnet.com site ill be kicking off with a competition and i think it would be to both our advantages to provide TM merchandise in part or in whole for the competition - i will of course make purchasement of said items from you, but again its the authorisation thing.

mail me direct if you need to:

manager@dianetix.co.uk

thx - -=[/2]=-

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted February 10, 2001 04:56 AM            
You'll get your authorization...

...we'll have to iron out the details on the side...I'll be emailing you.

Jim

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 10, 2001 04:59 AM            
Is there a chance for a new timed multiplayer demo.Thats all I need to know right now.I understand LDA is in a bind right now and I won't bother you until LDA is back on its feet(by the end of the month I hope)At least take what we said in considerstion.I'll bust my rump with anything you want me to do to get this thing out into the public.

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted February 10, 2001 05:08 AM            
Thanks

Yes, we'll consider a timed demo....and we pay close attention to what is said, especially by the core group....

...We are temporarily diverting our attention to another project that needs finishing up....while we sift through the options to help get TM moving again.

Jim

IP:

Hawk
posted February 10, 2001 08:22 AM            
Jim: I've been looking through my gaming magazines and stuff. You should try to get adverts in magazines like PC Gamer, PC Accelera-(Oh, wait, THEY KILLED PC ACCELERATOR) Gamepro, etc. I know you probably already are, and that it costs money, but it probably pays for itself when people look at the game and go 'Oh, that looks awesome!'

As for places to sell mass amounts of it, try places like Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. Sam's Club practically sells itself out of games every weeks, and TM's far and away better than most of the crud that SC has on its shelves.

Just some suggestions. I'll never totally leave TM. NEEEVVVEERRRR!!!!

And Matrix: How's the low playerbase LDA's fault? Short of advertising a few places, then running out into the street with sandwich boards printed with the Tread Marks logo screaming 'BUUYYY MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!' :P

It's not their fault.

------------------
Temporal Chaos 0wnz j00!

IP:

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3