|
Author Topic:   best video card
coax
Administrator
posted February 05, 2001 12:12 AM            
I'm going to assume the problem with my computer is its video card. Whats the best video card for TM that I can buy?

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

swisher
posted February 05, 2001 12:27 AM            
Don't know the best. I have a cheap one that works great. Creative Labs 3D Blaster Annihilator 2 MX. About 35 FPS with TM. $130.00 USD.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted February 05, 2001 03:34 AM            
If you don't need that last fps in your FPS's, maybe go for a Matrox G450 or relatively new Voodoo.
IMO, both "look" better.

Radeon is a cool thing, too, but I don't trust ATI drivers anymore - do a search for "ATI problems" on this board...

If you were me, you'd already have a GeForce2, of course...

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 05, 2001 04:03 AM            
I wouldn't go Voodoo.3DFX was bought out by nVIDIA.Its not offical,but I heard they will only support their cards for another year.After that......?I have a Voodoo 3 and their support is already lacking.Just go to their webpage and see how far they are gone down. http://www.3dfx.com
Aren't nVIDIA cards suppose to be the best,for the price,now?I'm in the market too.And I'm to lazy to go searching for reviews

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted February 05, 2001 05:31 AM            
TM was built on TNT1 and TNT2 cards.

On a tight budget a TNT1 is still a good card.

Otherwise TNT2 to GForce...

Jim

IP:

Hunter
posted February 05, 2001 10:57 AM            
I run a Diamond Viper 770 TNT 2, it is a great card for TM. And all the other games I run. Diamond does not use the NVidia chip set any longer, but if you can find one of the old ones get it. Diamond uses another chipset called something like Savage, but stay away from them they really suck. Stay away from Voodo, at least until Nvidia announces whats going to happen with that technology. Matrox, over priced and not good for games. ATI, drivers, drivers, drivers forget it. Basically, Nvidia is the way to go, and Swisher, your card may have been inexpensive but that is a great card if its the one I am thinking of it is a GeForce 2 with the MX chipset, its a cheaper version of the GTS, and it supports Anti-Aliasing. Not to mention it is a creative labs. Now a days you can get the GeForce 2 MX from a couple of other good manufactures, the Prophet cards are good. I just installed one in my brothers computer and it out performed my TNT 2, the only problem he has is the resolution can go higher than the monitor can handle, I cranked it up on a couple of games and the monitor went black, the game was runing cause I could hear it, but no video. My next card is going to be the Prophet GeForce 2 MX. Thats the best for the money right now. BTW I also play, Quake, Half-life, BZ, Recoil, Revolt, Mechwarrior and MDK2.

[This message has been edited by Hunter (edited February 05, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Hunter (edited February 05, 2001).]

IP:

swisher
posted February 05, 2001 11:28 AM            
Yes. I upgraded from the very card you have now, Hunter (V770D [D=Dell] TNT2 Ultra Diamond).

It worked well, but a titch slow. I think I have too much other crap in my system (Viruscan, and a million icons on the system tray bar). The video card upgrade was not necessary, but I do appreciate it.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

Kaeto
posted February 05, 2001 04:55 PM            
Dreamer - my Radeon runs TM beautifully

And it outruns the GeForce @ 1024 and up, and it OCs better.

Gotta love it!

IP:

Hunter
posted February 05, 2001 05:41 PM            
Didnt mean to offend the Radeon fans, Kateo. Its just ATI has a terrible reputation. I have read reviews that the Radeon is a good card, I just tend to stay away from anything with a bad rep, let someone else be the guinea pig ya know...

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted February 05, 2001 07:30 PM            
Kaeto: It's just that bad feeling about ATI drivers.

IP:

Kaeto
posted February 05, 2001 07:48 PM            
The drivers I'm running right now are WHQL, and they work perfectly with everything I've tried (which is a _LOT_)

The Radeon is also a lot cooler than any GeForce, which is important to me 'cuz I OC my machine as far as I can...

Plus, I got this thing for barely more than a good GF2 MX ($130)

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted February 05, 2001 09:05 PM            
Whoa, Thats like more than i make in a year dreamer :P

------------------
Can't forget those invisible smileys at the bottem now can we

IP: