This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   BIG BAD NEWS STUFF
Dudymas
posted February 01, 2001 12:14 PM            
Well, some of you know i have to have a triple modem hook up to play games since i only get about 12 to 28 k speed on a regular 56k modem... well, the ISP has decided to stop their efforts to pay for the phone bills that come from having 4 phone lines. My dad is decided to either get a fast connection or no connection, and we can't get DSL or Cable out in the boonies here, and most people say it'll be more than a year before we can remotely imagine it coming. So, with that, i either need to have Kaeto give me a room to bed in, or get some satellite thing. Also, my dad is going for the M$/Radioshack thing too, he doesn't care if he has to buy a new pc..... Problem is, we will get such stinkin slow upload from those satellite hook-ups i won't be able to game at all, yet still my dad is obstinate. Aye... wait, i know... OH NO! QUICK, he's already calling these M$ people and asking, does anyone have a good site to convince him the satellites are bad? If you do, i'll be more than happy to wait one and a half years and get internet again with DSL... although it'll be shared and only about 300 to 400 kilobytes per second. Ok, gotta go check around with hotbot and Cnet, and if worse comes to worse, at least i'll be able to play for about two more days or so.

I have linux all fixed up too, so i'll be playing Tread Marks more, so that'll be more servers in use for you people.

------------------

IP:

Dudymas
posted February 01, 2001 01:35 PM            
some good news, we found an isp that gives us a dish and the dish doesn't use a dial up modem, but rather sends data back through the dish at about 140 kbps *salivates* now to convince my dad about the latter and not the loss (a.k.a. M$/Radioshack deal).

After this, i'll talk about using bowling balls as metaphors of atoms to explain diffusion, osmosis, plasmolysis and salt killing slugs, temperature and how it affects diffusion, and other parts of particle theory, all this and more in the upcoming parts to the saga we know plainly as 'Dudymas' and his 'posts' and the way he plays our nations slavation 'Tread Marks'.

Oh, that's so confusing to read over, forget spelling errors, ack!

Hey, speeking of that, who vants to be mi Englash Teacha'? I type really good *cough* essays.

------------------

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted February 01, 2001 01:48 PM            
temperature related diffusion is statistical mechanics not particle theory

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

Hunter
posted February 01, 2001 03:29 PM            
Now thats interesting, Coax is some kind of physics genius. He must have gotten his degree before Tread Marks came out, because I am having a hard time getting a damn life science degree with this game looming over me and using up valuable study time. I would never attempt something real hard.
hehe.

IP:

Hawk
posted February 01, 2001 05:00 PM            
*snickers at Dudy's satellite net connect while downloading at ~350KBPS

Hey, it's better than Kaeto's ~30kbps average downloads

IP:

Cell
posted February 01, 2001 06:07 PM         
All I gotta say is, the world better watch out when Dudy gets a faster internet connection We're rooting for ya Dudy!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted February 01, 2001 06:30 PM            
woops, I guess i should of congratulated dudy instead of just slapping him around. And nope I'm no physics genius, although statistical mechanics is taught to Physicist under the heading of thermodynamics. Chemist like myself spend a whole seperate class on just statistical mechanics.

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted February 01, 2001 09:27 PM            
Whoa!!!!!!! say that again in english????????????????????????????? plz your a genius under cover trying to hide out because you've just played hooky and u found a wonderful gaem and your gonna be stuck here 4 life now!!! ( who wouldn't wanna be)

------------------
Can't forget those invisible smileys at the bottem now can we

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 01, 2001 11:05 PM            
PING DUDYMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
STOP YOUR DAD NOW!!!!!!!!
Satellites have a very high ping rate(600-1000),bacause of the simple fact that the dat has to go up to a satellite that is miles up in Earth's orbit then bounce back down to your reciever.I have a DirecPC satellite modem,I know...I don't have to tell you how a 600-1000 ping will effect your gaming.I simply turn the satellite off and use my 56k dial-up.I can do these because my ISP dosen't suck If you can get a better ISP to play games,then yeah,A 2-way satellite is good for downloading crap off the net.I live in the boonies too and its my only broadband option.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 01, 2001 11:08 PM            
Go to http://www.direcpc.com It will have to same stuff and operates the same as MSN.They even say that their equipment is bad for gaming.

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited February 01, 2001).]

IP:

Dudymas
posted February 01, 2001 11:33 PM            
So, coax, wouldn't be particle theory if it had to do with diffusion, it's just my logic... i bet really neither really refer to it, they just coexist with it... that is, particle theory and statistical mechanics help prove that stuff. Oh well, who really cares about terms, except for having silly arguements like this... Let me tell you, SuperUnknown, the ping will be so much worse if i try modem, i'm not even going to imagine how bad it'll be, i have no choice. Besides... it'll be fun to use the dish to project strong microwave blasts at our chihuahua *an evil grin encroahes onto face*

I think it'll benefit humanity to know i can bake a deer and kill it as the same time... ok, maybe not, but it'll be fun to aim it at cars or P.E. teachers, mwahahahahahahahahahahah. that's odd, i'd expect for the FBI to arrest me by now, is there something i'm doing wrong, Kaeto? (kaeto would know, hehehe)

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 02, 2001 04:39 AM            
Let me put this another way, YOU CAN'T PLAY GAMES THROUGH A SATELLITE.There is no way in hell you can play a game with a one second ping time.For the love of God,don't get a satellite modem.Multilink several modems together,get ISDN,pray for a better ISP........Please,please don't go the satellite route.I'll say I told ya so.I'll let on on a little secret about satellites too,there is very limited bandwidth and most carriers have a way to limit the bandwidth you use.Take DirecPC for example,they have a fair accsess policy that says you can only download so many meg/hour.If you pass that,they punish you and drop you below modem speeds for several hours.Then,transponders that route the data are so expensive that there is little bandwitdth to share.During peak time you are lucky to get a little over modem speeds.All of this crap for what,$70-80 a month.Tell your dad that.I'm a owner and I'm telling you like it is.No salesperson or techie will tell you what I have.Unless your a nightowl like me,the satellite crap will not be worth it.

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited February 02, 2001).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted February 02, 2001 10:46 AM            
Super - if what Dudy's getting is what I think it is, he should have a half-decent ping - maybe 250-300, which is playable. He's not talking about DirectTV style stuff, it's a two-way sattelite connection.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted February 02, 2001 01:17 PM            
since it is silly to give labels to natural phenomena; I'll continue the discussion. Particle theory references a whole seperate field in guess what Particle Physics. Statistical Mechanics is the subdivision in Thermodynamics that talks about diffusion. Diffusion is a random event and by applying statistics to the phenomena you can better describe it. For example, molecules from a higher concentration travel to lower concentrations. This is not true, many of the molecules in the low concentration will go to the higher concentration. Its just that molecules tend to randomize and thats what causes it to seem that molecules go to lower concentrations. The randomness can be described by statistics, and that statistics is governed by the mechanics of the system. Hehe, statistical mechanics.

theory of particulates, would of been fine rather then particle theory. No subatomic species were being refferenced

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted February 02, 2001 01:25 PM            
:P i get about 400-500, 300 if im lucky. On TM u can see each frame but its still pretty fast but the weapons have a delayed reaction

------------------

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted February 02, 2001 03:31 PM            
OH YEAH just remebered why nobodys was responding on the ubb it seemed..... Your all stuck in schoool wweeeeeeeeeeeee. Our schools out today cause it is staff development day

------------------

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted February 02, 2001 04:00 PM            
well, I only had one class today from 8-9. So there.

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

Dudymas
posted February 02, 2001 05:36 PM            
Thanks for the coaching, coax. Seems like you could teach a class here *sits down on sofa*. See, i view teaching as a game, you try to cram whatever info you into the pupil before he/she goes to sleep, especially in science. I'll give you one week, since my digital self needs less sleep time... ;-)

IP:

Dudymas
posted February 02, 2001 05:39 PM            
oh, btw. SuperUnknown, it's either that or no internet... and we can't have that, can we?

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted February 02, 2001 07:26 PM            
Ah ha doesn't water conduct electricity so just make this wooden water pipe that goes from your house to the nearets internet provider. and stcik the phone line in the water.

------------------

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted February 02, 2001 08:16 PM            
actually, the minerals in the water are the charge carriers for the current.

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted February 02, 2001 08:39 PM            
:P so use mineral water 4 a 100000000000000000000kb connection

------------------

IP:

Kaeto
posted February 02, 2001 09:58 PM            
quote:
actually, the minerals in the water are the charge carriers for the current.

I thought pure water still had some conductivity?

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted February 02, 2001 11:17 PM            
Lets pour some on a cpu n find out hehe

Edited:
Dudy's the Guene Pig

------------------

[This message has been edited by GoldAnt_Number1 (edited February 02, 2001).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 02, 2001 11:51 PM            
#1-I have DirecPC,not DirecTV.They are made by the same people though.DirecPC is for the internet.
#2-It dosen't matter what brand of satellite you pick.Its pure physics.You send a request to the central office to retrieve something.They retrieve it at high terrestrial spreeds.They take that data,zap it up to the satellite that is miles up in orbit,which in turn,bounces the data to you reciever then your computer.And this data is not travelling at the speed of light,its regualar radio waves.I have been a avid poster in alt.satellite.direcpc,which is for all of the satellite,not just DPC.They all have about a one second ping time.
#3-If its that or nothing,then oh well....take the plunge.But don't expect to play online games.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2