This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   The Camera in TM 1.5+
kleenfreek
posted January 27, 2001 04:41 AM            
I'd just like to say a little something...

I've been a TM player since early 1.0. I have evangelized this game, pleaded with others to try it, and generally considered it one of the strongest titles to be released in the past 3 years.

I work in the industry and am a pretty hardcore game player. Lotsa hours spent playing Counterstrike, Quake, and so on.

So it pains and confuses me as to why the traditional camera modes of TM 1.0 were abandoned in favor of these supposedly "better" modes in 1.5.

As a beta tester of 1.5 I tried to make my voice heard on this issue but apparently not too many others agreed. At this point, I never play the game any more for two reasons...

1. Because my time invested learning how to play TM 1.0 has been negated.

2. More importantly, because the more dramatic FOV shifts and general lack of viewing freedom presented in 1.5 makes me physically ill. I'm not just saying that because it annoys me... I'm talking about motion sickness.

So my plea is such... Although I may be in the minority in requesting the the old Funky camera mode be re-enabled, I think it's by far the most natural way to play the game. Simplicity had always been the hallmark of Treadmarks, and having to manage the turret separately from the view, separately from the treads is one layer too many. Seumas' original solution for catering to the FPS crowd by having the turret follow the view as fast as it could was simply brilliant. Most people have the ability to visually determine the direction of their shot based on which way the turret is pointing, even if it isn't towards the middle of their screen.

So how about it LDA? I'm not saying make the old modes the default again... I'm just crying for a toggle to turn on the old camera modes again. As of right now, I fire up 1.0 occasionally and have shelved 1.5.

I check these boards every once in a while to see if one of my favorite titles is going to be fixed... but so far it doesn't seem to be happening.

If anyone else agrees with me, please voice your opinion on the board.

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted January 27, 2001 07:11 AM            
We've been on our knees, kleenfreek.
We've begged and cried.
We've tried.
But still, we're a minority.
Plus, the new camera modes do work if you can stand them and don't get sick.

IP:

Vlad
posted January 27, 2001 09:16 AM            
?!?!?!?!?!?!

The camera scheme has been changed?? The only view I ever use is the "turn to look, and the turret follows" view (mouse look on, turret view on, camera funky). What's possible now?

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 27, 2001 10:58 AM            
I agree - even after all the tweaking, the new camera setup still gives less functionality than the old one...

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 27, 2001 03:22 PM            
I agree the camera modes for 1.5 sucked when i first started playing it. But, after so much time with 1.5 and SuperUnknown making me play on 1.5 almost every day. It gets better after the nausia goes away. I've never felt limited with the view in 1.5, I always keep it on the standard or press "caps lock" to switch it to free look, especially if you have the sniper just works better like that. But, whether the new camera mods really affect gameplay you'll have to ask a newbie who has played only 1.5+ and I have and many of them. They have no complaints about it, so in reality it couldn't be that bad. Its just a matter of sitting down and adapting to it.

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 27, 2001 05:56 PM            
The only thingy i admire on the new camra mode is that if u hold down delte you can finally see yourself in those tight passage ways

------------------
:^) Can't forget those smileys with big nose's at the bottem now can we :^)

IP:

peeeto
posted January 28, 2001 06:28 PM         
kleen: i agree - i liked the ver 1.0 views much better. the new views are OK, but give much trouble in tight spaces - like in the ice map with the valleys, it is useless (for me).

if possible, i would really appreciate having the ver 1.0 views available...

IP:

uck
posted January 28, 2001 08:39 PM            
I don't like the new camera eithier.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 28, 2001 09:03 PM            
I just wish i could tilt back n look into the sky........lda that'd be nice tons of times i'd like to see what became of the nuke i fired into the air

------------------
Can't forget those invisible smileys at the bottem now can we

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted January 28, 2001 11:48 PM            
Ant...

The 1.5.9 patch allows you to look anywhere in free-look "Rt. Mouse Button" held down...

...track a nuke, stare at the sun...whatever...

Jim

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 29, 2001 01:05 AM            
they are always one-step ahead of you Ant. Try to think of something else now.

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 29, 2001 01:15 AM            
"making me play everynight",says coax You'll thank me someday I only use two camera angles,follow tank and turrent view.Frankly,I've never messed with any other camera views.I was just so used to playing the 1.01 demo,and right click changes these two views by default in the demo.

IP:

Hunter
posted January 29, 2001 12:44 PM            
I thought something was different about 1.5, youre right it does make a guy a little sick after staring in that view for a while. Gee I wondered why the game played a little differently, I just couldnt put my finger on it. Now I want to request the funky camera view also.

IP:

JVortex
posted January 30, 2001 12:04 PM            
I agree completely on the funky view. I WANT IT BACK!!!

I'm also having a problem on the turret view. I'm running the 1.5.9 version and can't for the life of me get the stupid camera to attach itself to and follow the turret. Chances are that I am just a dumb ass of one breed or another, but what settings must be set how to get that to work?

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site!!

IP:

Rex R
posted January 30, 2001 01:40 PM            
mouse3 is the default toggle for camera attached to turret/front of tank. don't recall offhand which key/joybutton does the same thing

IP:

JVortex
posted January 30, 2001 02:30 PM            
Well I just figured out my problem. Problem is that (well for one I dont use the mouse and that) I like to have the camera angle elevated a few degrees (leaving caps lock/ mouse look on). And of course you cant have the camera slaved to your turret if you are in free look mode. Does anybody know of a way to use Insert and Delete (default) to tilt up and down and still be able to lock the camera to the turret/ front of tank at the flick of a button?

I remember way back when this was do-able with the use of funky mode...

------------------

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted January 30, 2001 02:34 PM            
JVortex, please, please stop using that banner in (almost?) every post. I think we've all seen it and it doesn't really contribute to the readability of the board to have something blink and flash in every single topic.

IP:

JVortex
posted February 01, 2001 01:31 AM            
Oh fine. I see how you are. Here I am making things a little bit prettier and all I get is complaints. Oh what a world... what a world.....

OK, I'm done now. And I have to admit that now that I think about it I agree. I mainly slap it in there out of habbit (there is a hot key for it). I'll try to refrain in the future.

------------------

IP:

Karldar
posted February 01, 2001 03:37 AM            
I hate to do it, but I am here to say that I don't mind the 1.5 camera much at all. Okay, I actually like it. There-I said it. Allow me to explain, tho.

I use a joystick for TM and I don't always remember to set up the additional buttons for camera controls (although I have a profile around here somewhere) and I don't really mess with the kboard unless I'm chatting. I don't touch the mouse at all except for menu selection and such. If I ever use free look it's usually by accident. So I've basically learned to live with the camera being wherever the game puts it. Plus I'm lazy.

As far as the clipping and unexpected angles go-yeah, it kinda bugs me, but I really like the difficulty of trying to survive when I can't see the enemy. To me, it's just an added facet to the overall challenge of the game. Hopefully, it will make me a better player.

Now that I've alienated everyone on this thread-I'd like to mention that I hope the "funky" camera view is brought back. I always used it in 1.0.1. I really liked it, but if it's not, I'm still gonna be playin' the hell out of Tread Marks.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted February 01, 2001 03:47 AM            
Thx, JVortex.

IP:

swisher
posted February 01, 2001 12:17 PM            
I like the old view better, too. I have acclimated to the new one, though.

I don't do anything fancy with new view(s), however. Out-of-the-box default view. Keyboard only; seven keys: Turn tank left/right (arrows), move tank forward/backward (arrows), turn turret left/right (z/c), and fire (space bar).

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted February 01, 2001 12:43 PM            
Karldar: Nah you didn't alienate everyone on the board. I've always been pro camera modes. If you read the old beta-tester board I said...
quote:
the camera acts fine for me. I guess 'cause I'm young and not as old as these other guys , As they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks

that was August 18th 2000 one day before you registered on the bboards.

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

Cell
posted February 01, 2001 05:57 PM         
I'm with you Kaldar. I actually prefer the new camera, my play has improved with the new views available. ( or at least I like to think so!)

I spend alot less time toggling views, almost never have to with the 1.59, and I was absolutely hooked on the old views, so maybe old dogs just forget their old tricks, Coax.

------------------
Cell / BWL

IP:

synack
posted February 01, 2001 06:43 PM         
zzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZ ... huh?

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted February 01, 2001 06:49 PM            
cell: guess so, but i think your the minority not the majority

synack: and people say I spam, geeeesh