|
Author Topic:   CLAN FLAGS
=DNX= Matrix
posted January 25, 2001 10:38 PM            
Zip file is now available on the clans page of the DMF (( www.deathmatch-federation.com ))

3 clan flags are inside and will replace 3 default flags. If you have this file you will see the clans flags in games.

ps: All tested, no bugs found, screenshots taken.

L8rs.

-=[/2]=-

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 25, 2001 10:55 PM            
I'm still uncertain about setting the flag up.I know how to put it in the TM directory in place of another flag,but the ulually show up distorted.Also,is there a way for the flag to show up so other people can see?I guessing it would have to be on the server somehow.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 26, 2001 12:24 AM            
ok easy one this - you see basically what is in your directory, not on the server so if u have em installed you see em. and because they overwrite an existing flag, when each clan player chooses a flag, its the flag everyone else sees.

I asked LDA about uploadable flags, at the moment this is not supported - but u never know what the future holds.

as for deformation of the flag, well i tested em and all was ok so dont worry about overwriting, but if u feel safer just back up your directory before you do any overwriting. Install directory location is in the zip file readme.

i think ill post these screengrabs to prove they work - hehehe

-=[/2]=-

IP:

Rex R
posted January 26, 2001 01:22 AM            
far as i know if the flag in Q is the same size as the 1 it is replacing & the same bit depth there shouldn't be any prob

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted January 26, 2001 01:39 AM            
WTF! Matrix, I demand that you immediately take this file from your site! If what you say is true, what you have done was (IMO)total ****. Sorry for being so aggressive, but, heck, why? There's absolutely no need for a flag's files to overwrite or replace anything. They are supposed to be created in a way that leaves the original flags undisturbed. Oh, yeah, and it's 7:40am.
This message will also go to your ICQ.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 26, 2001 11:50 AM            
Ill remove your flag from the zipfile dreamer. I had originaly posted that the files would work this way since theres no other way (at present) that anyone other than you can see the flag when youre wearing it.

Sorry this upset you - revised zipfile will contain 2 flags and be available with immediate effect.

-=[/2]=-

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 26, 2001 12:05 PM            
Ok Dreamer, removed as requested, the file currently on the DMF only contains 2 flags now.

But i have a question - without replacing existing flags with a "common" replacement (ie everyone has the same files) how do you intend to implement the viewing of your flag or indeed the identity of your clan members within the game.

And to that point - whats the point in even having a clan flag if youre not going to utilise it ?

Other clans flags ARE welcome to update this file until such time as LDA figure a way to include the upload of your flag to the game you are joining ( al'a battlezone ).

It should also be noted that there will be a seperate LONEWOLVES file as soon as i receive them - that way those who wish to see flags they deem important to do so - may.

-=[/2]=-

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 26, 2001 12:12 PM            
couldn't you just contact the server operators and asked them politely, and persistantly to add the flags into their directories. Why wouldn't this approach work?

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

Rex R
posted January 26, 2001 12:21 PM            
if I understand correctly then you would still need to dl the flags in order to see them. else all you would see would be empty antenna sticking out of the tanks

and the problem w/dl'ing from the server ala Q2 is everyone waits untill all those in need get the files

[This message has been edited by Rex R (edited January 26, 2001).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 26, 2001 12:46 PM            
If it were implemented HL-Style (don't see it until you finish DLing it), it would work fine...

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted January 26, 2001 12:53 PM            
Matrix, I think you got me wrong there. I apologize for verbal abuse.
My intention was not to have the BWL flag alone removed from the flags file.
I only feared that you might have changed the file without my knowing it - thus disabling BWL themselves to view out flag!
The entity file that comes with our flag is in fact designed to leave allother flags untouched.
The problem I see with the method you propose is this: When someone uses the original flag replaced by a clan flag, he/she will get what (s)he wanted. BUT all those using the modded one will see the wrong flag - wrong clan affiliation. I don't think that's what we want.
Plus, AFAIK, our flag can be seen by anyone who has downloaded it, regardless of whether the server has it or not. Only those who did not download the flag to their local machines are unable to see it.
Please, do re-include the BWL flag into your downloadable file, and please grant me forgiveness if you feel offended. I did not intend to attack you, but to produce in you a feeling of urgency. I do not know how many people mightbe watching these boards without posting, how many without thoroughly reading before downloading and I did not want any of those ppl's installations to be corrupted.+

IP:

LDATom
Administrator
posted January 26, 2001 03:04 PM            
The "correct" way to get flags, or anything else in the game is to create new entites for them (in this case an Insignia entity) andd put them in the addons folder. The server will need to have the files in place before they'll show up for anyone, and the clients will need to have them in place so they can be viewed and selected. Since you're making a downloadable with many team flags, you should include the entities for using them, and drop the server operators and email asking them to put them up on the servers. I'm fairly certain that nguk will be happy to put them up for you.

Tom

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 26, 2001 03:08 PM            
that seems easy enough. Why don't we just all do that? I think i mentioned it before too.

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 26, 2001 07:02 PM            
Dont fret it dreamer m8, i think we both got each other at cross purposes.

Tom i didnt know that flags had entitiy files ? interesting.

My intention was that clans would use the file on local machines so that in clan ddms we can all see the same flags, hence the idea for lonewolve ones too. This was you can see the flags that are imnportant to you. If there were 30 clans (like battlezone) and over 800 lonewolf flags, the servers will get pretty packed, so if you have your own set of files, then you cant really go wrong. that said ill investogate the other option with entities tom.

Dreamer ill pop yer flag back in (unaltered), its not my place to alter any flags.

-=[/2]=-

IP:

Rex R
posted January 27, 2001 02:19 AM            
ok so now I'm confused.(ppl keep changing the rules) do you want a) the flag texture named to replace an existing one b)flag w/original name and .ent c)all of the above d)none of the above

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted January 27, 2001 02:25 AM            
I'd say "b"
That's what the download is for, after all.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 27, 2001 09:29 AM            
B) same as deamer

I just didnt know that was the way to do it, now theres room 4 as many clans as u like - ps anyone know the email addy's of all the server hosts ?

-=[/2]=-

ps my appologies 4 the confusion, ive only had the game like 3 months and not been around for beta testing.

I should have asked b4 diving in head 1st.

DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE EXISTING ZIPFILE, it will be modified with ents soon.

cheers

-=[/2]=-

IP:

Rex R
posted January 27, 2001 01:00 PM            
well hopefully by now you have received my battle flag(complete with .ent)

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 27, 2001 11:47 PM            
i have rex thx - ill include it in the NEW file.

ehehehehe

-=[/2]=-

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 28, 2001 05:22 PM            
K after reading this im confused.............. so you over wrote other flags

------------------
Can't forget those invisible smileys at the bottem now can we

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted January 28, 2001 07:21 PM            
You shouldn't be. Read carefully, Browse the entitiy directories on your hdd and understand.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 28, 2001 08:27 PM            
no no no i mean the caln falg download on matrix's site i haven't downloaded yet

------------------
Can't forget those invisible smileys at the bottem now can we

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 28, 2001 11:07 PM            
it's pretty clear, ill explain:

THE MISTAKE: was to create working flags and use the exact filenames used by the default 1.5.5 install thus overwriting existing flags

I didnt realise there was an ADDON directory until 2 things happened: 1) i added DVS duskes mod and 2) Tom told me that flags have entities too.

THE CORRECTION TO THIS: is to create ent files for each flag and give it its own filename in the addon folder. The only difference is that my original way would have only required ppl to use the zip file and needed no intervention or inclusion of the server operators, each person with my zipfile would see the correct clan flag when in the game simply because the tells it to use a certain file. Everyone else simply sees the default flag that occupies that filename on their computer.

the correct way tom tells me is to send this new file to each server op (which to me seems more flexible although a pain in the ass).

Im happy to do it either way personally, my way ppl who want to see it and use it get it - the correct way would mean sending to each new server as it appears and keep a track of them, there were 14 the other night, and i can tell you right now, if this gets as bust as quake 3 arena there aint no way im sending 1 file to over a thousand server ops.

at the end of the day which way do you want it - im gettin told 2 ways but just as flexible whatever - you decide, after all youre the user base !

-=[/2]=-

IP:

swisher
posted January 29, 2001 02:46 PM            
Overriding the default flags doesn't hurt anyone and it works, so why not do it?

I've already done it, in fact. I do have the BWL flag installed, too. This simply means that I can select it on the main tank options screen.

Here's something kind of interesting:

When I created the animated BWL flag, I found the Black team flag (BlackBanner.bmp?) and resized the BWL flag to be the same demensions. I then renamed the banner flag and saved my new, resized, BWL flag as BlackBanner.bmp.

When I played a single-player CTF on team black, the BWL flag was sailing in the wind and I simply captured a bunch of images using Snapit Pro (or something). Touche them up in Paint Shop Pro, and then animated them in Paint Shop Pro's Animation studio and viola!

Point being, when I am on the Black team, all of my teammates are carrying the BWL flag now.

This could, in theory, be an alternative, too. More commplicated, obviously. It is kind of fun to see the BWL flag be the large flag in CTF, though.

Each clan would have to be on the same, pre-determined team color.

Remember, this is the banner flag, not your personal flag, so when I select black team and the BWL flag, I fly two BWL flags (one personal, one team), and I see the huge BWL flag as the CTF flag.

In non-CTF games, I see the team flag as BWL (if I joined team black) and whatever I choose as my personal flag.

Well, confusing as all get out, but kind of cool.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited January 29, 2001).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 29, 2001 02:58 PM            
Do it the right way. Doing it the cheap way takes away the whole purpose of the custom flag - IDing yourself.

I really think LDA should implement a two-way flag exchange sometime in the future...

IP: