|
Author Topic:   Tom :)
GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 23, 2001 12:54 AM            
Hey i was just wondering on windows 98 how would u put a password on a folder? and also a thing so the folder can't be delted without a password. And u can't delete the stuff inside without a password? My sister is going crazy now she delted TM n a few other thingys into and outa the recycle bin

------------------
:^) Can't forget those smileys with big nose's at the bottem now can we :^)

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 23, 2001 01:01 AM            
there are a bunch of recovery programs, that could be use to recover deleted programs. In case she does it again. I'm not good with security since i live alone and my room mate knows nothing about computers, took me an hour to show him how to use an e-mail account.

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

Vlad
posted January 23, 2001 09:47 AM            
I don't think there's a native function of Windows that allows password protection of files, but I believe Norton Your Eyes Only is designed to do that. Heck, you may be able to find something on winfiles or tucows that lets you do it.

IP:

peeeto
posted January 23, 2001 11:22 AM         
what about selecting the folder, sub-folders & contents & setting the attribute to "read only"?

IP:

Vlad
posted January 23, 2001 01:14 PM            
Good idea, but that's may create a problem if treadmarks needs to write any files to the folder or anything...

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 23, 2001 07:56 PM            
i already installed it again. Hey where could i get one of those undelte proggys?

------------------

IP:

Rex R
posted January 24, 2001 02:15 AM            
just a thought, but you could remove the shortcut to the recycle bin from the desktop.
that would make it more difficult to empty.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 24, 2001 12:33 PM            
good idea Rex. Also you should put TM so far into the inards of your computer that your sister could never find it. And miss-label everything. Don't name it "Tread Marks, my favorite game in the world" label it "English Essays" or "System Drivers" she'll think twice before deleting anything in there.

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

Rex R
posted January 24, 2001 01:52 PM            
nother thought. don't know if it will work, set the hidden attribute & hide the files.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 24, 2001 06:55 PM            
How i hide um? how i find um?

------------------

IP:

Efflixi
posted January 26, 2001 10:36 AM            
Get windows 2000

You can make it to where only certain users have access to certain files etc... VERY explicit rights for each user. Useful for a problem like yours.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 26, 2001 06:32 PM            
:P i only got 98

------------------

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 26, 2001 06:53 PM            
stop spaming GoldAnt, of course I'm kidding though "I am the notorious spammer." You need to upgrade dude, take your computer to that next level.

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 26, 2001 07:13 PM            
Nah windows isn't worth upgradeing (I am typeing in this box so this isn't offical spam aren't i so special

------------------

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 26, 2001 08:40 PM            
yes you are, now are you happy (7)

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 26, 2001 11:58 PM            
Ant is right,Windows 2000 is crap and way over-priced.The things that were "upgraded" from Win98:The newest IE browser,the newest Media Player, and the registry backup utility(and some minor toolbar and graphics changes).Out of all of these,two can be downloaded from Microsoft's website.The registry tool is about the only thing worth having Windows ME is nothing more than a service pack for Windows 98,with a high price tag to boot.

IP:

JL
posted January 27, 2001 08:41 AM            
You forgot to mention how games run REAL slow or not at all in Win 2K.

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 27, 2001 11:00 AM            
quote:
You forgot to mention how games run REAL slow or not at all in Win 2K.

Umm...

What? Most games run about the same on Win2k with most hardware. There's not very many with serious compatibility issues...

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted January 27, 2001 12:11 PM            
Super, do not confuse WinME with Win2k.
But then again, which Win2k are we talking about? The NT core versions or the 98 core versions?

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 27, 2001 01:10 PM            
Win2K workstation and Server are NT 5.

WinME is Win98SE with all the bugs from the first edition back in.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 27, 2001 05:44 PM            
Anyway windodws is well what super said...................... i'd rather get linex and see the wonder thats kept dudy hidden away 4 weeks since he got it

------------------

IP:

JL
posted January 27, 2001 06:30 PM            
Kaeto if you have a 600 mgz or faster processer with geforce vid card or better you only lose about 5 fps, not that noticable. But if your part of the 90% of the world that has a 450 mgz or less with a not so modern video card Win2k is painfully slow with games. I get 40 fps with TM when I use Win 98 and about 5 - 10 in Win 2k with everything turned down to ugly. (all drivers recent also) Win 2k drivers for older video cards are just thrown together with the be glad it works at all attitude.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 28, 2001 02:58 AM            
Windows Millennium....Don't know much about Win2000.Didn't know there was a difference between ME and 2000.Anyway,I'm talking about the overpriced service pack,ME

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 28, 2001 05:07 PM            
Let me enlighten you all

"They slapped somethin on a lunch box n there selling it!!!!!! "

------------------

IP: