|
Author Topic:   Question for LDA about server implementation
Skandranon
posted January 21, 2001 03:18 PM            
Just had a question about how servers work in Treadmarks. Am I correct in that servers send data to clients at whatever fps is listed in their dedicated.cfg (10 or so, usually) and the clients "fill in the blanks" between?

If this is the case, then why can't the /servers/ do this for themselves, or play the game at full frame rates while sending updates at the lower rate to clients? I ask, since when you play Treadmarks on the same machine that's hosting the server, you can only get that lower fps. Is there a way around this? ramTHIS and I both have already run into this hurdle.

Thanks,
Skandranon

Update:
ramTHIS just tried setting his dedicated.cfg to 30fps, even though he had 56k modem users on it - and reported both for him and them it played smoother. I was on it and definitely noticed an improvement (though I'm using DSL, so that's likely part of it).

[This message has been edited by Skandranon (edited January 21, 2001).]

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 21, 2001 04:43 PM            
The purpose of the FrameRate portion is so that low bandwidth players don't have high lag due to the data transfering too fast. Generally a FPS of 10 is fine for data...though on a lan you want it higher. If you want no FPS delay just run a normal game with joins enabled (though it won't show up on the master server). I think its better to deal with the same delay all your clients have though - a bit more fair

--RC

IP:

Skandranon
posted January 21, 2001 09:37 PM            
Okay... I just installed version 1.5.9 and was all set to go take a screen shot of what I was saying to show my PIII/933 and GeForce2 getting 10fps like it did yesterday... and there I was getting 60-70fps on 'Godly' when running the client off a server on the same machine.

Search me, dunno. Update fix this? As long as it wasn't a fluke and works now, I'm happy.

Skandranon

[This message has been edited by Skandranon (edited January 21, 2001).]

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 24, 2001 07:50 PM            
Hee i ran a server on a 56.6k modem with 1.5.9 and it was a steady 50 ping!!!!! i've gone crazy i think but thats what it was

------------------
:^) Can't forget those smileys with big nose's at the bottem now can we :^)

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 24, 2001 09:53 PM            
GoldAnt - for a ping to yourself, that's actually pretty bad. The data packets shouldn't even have to leave your computer. The best ping I've ever got in TM was 10.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 24, 2001 11:03 PM            
0 an a LAN Wish I could get that all the time.

IP: