|
Author Topic:   help!! need advice on my broken computer
coax
Administrator
posted January 20, 2001 11:43 PM            
This question is not directly TM related, but since I can't use my computer to play TM it kinda is.

I'm somewhat computer savy but far from being an expert and i need some advice. This is what happened to my computer. A friend came over who knew nothing about the inner workings of a computer so I opened mine up. I showed him how to connect cables to new harware like a zip and cd-rw, showed him how to get power to those instruments. I also showed him what he wanted to learn how to do, which was how to add more Ram to his computer. I showed him how to remove the dimm chips and how to click them back in. But, now when i try to start my computer it doesn't seem to work. All the devices turn on, the fan turns on but my monitor doesn't receive a signal anymore. It just says no signal. I turned on my speakers and sat in front of my computer for 15 miniutes trying to hear if the windows theme song occurs. But I didn't hear it. So, any advice will be welcomed on what the problem is and how i can solve it. Also, the problem isn't a miss-wiring or a chip in the wrong position, I've checked that thouroughly. Everything is fine as far as that goes. I'm just baffeled on the problem, and baffeled on how i can fix it.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 21, 2001 12:13 AM            
ok, first up check the monitor plug i correctly connected to the back of the vid card.

then check the vid card is in fully and firly seated, if it has a cooler / fan check to see if its running.

check also that the motherboard pcb isnt touching the metal casing.

if everything is firmly in place, check the power connection on the motherboard - if theyre ok and u get the full sound of windows bootin then your vid card is out the window and u need a new one, if you dont look to see if you put the cables on the right way round - if the floppy drive cable is wrong way round this will stop the puter booting as it is picked up by the post (power on self test)

check the BIOS to see if the boot sequence has changed and is using a non-bootable drive.

other than that and if everything else is ok, try pluggin ya monitor into another comp - if it doesnt work, scrap the monitorm if it does, ditch the vid card and try another in its place, if that doesnt work, u have a serious prob with the motherboard.

hope that helps m8 - good luck.

-=[/2]=-

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted January 21, 2001 05:34 AM            
Don't panic.
Even if you do think there's no possibility for a miswiring or an unseated chip - try this before giving up any piece of hardware in your computer:
Do check the power connectors plugged into your mainboard alright. If that helps, aok, if not:
First unplug all your drives - HDD, Floppy, CD, Zip, whatever there is. Unplug power _and_ data connectors. Unplug every connector at the back of your computer, except keyboard, power and monitor. Turn the system on. If the systems POSTs, there might have been a faulty connection to one of your drives, which is bad, because the drive is probably totally screwed up and could need formatting by now.
If the system does not POST, remove _all_ the DIMMs from their sockets, noting their order - if they've been working properly until now, there's no need to change the order in which they are arranged, only causes problems. Then find the socket that's marked with sth. like "DIMM0". In case there's none there, but there are markings starting with "DIMMA", sometimes even "DIMM1" (but triple-check if you think that might be the case), that's just fine.
Now plug in one of the DIMMs _very_ carefully, correctly aligned, with even pressure on both sides. Use a small torch to make 100% sure the module is seated properly. Turn the system on. If it POSTs, everything should be alright. Reconnect everything extremely carefully and you should be fine.
If not, We'rte in for the evil mess. Rip each and every expansion card from your computer, sparing only the graphics card. Make notes where each card belongs or else windows will take you to resource conflict hell. Drives should still be disconnected.
Turn on, if the system POSTs, aok, if not, panic.
Reattach the system components one by one until you find the borken one and replace that one with a newer, better and cheaper one. My 2p.

Coax - Interested to join BWL? We'd be honoured.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (BWL/MG) (edited January 21, 2001).]

IP:

JL
posted January 21, 2001 08:18 AM            
Usually there is a post code beep. Different amount of beeps for each piece of hardware not functioning. The mobo manual should have the beep codes.

IP:

Dreamer
posted January 21, 2001 09:44 AM         
I thought he said "nothing". POST code beeps can be soooooo inaccurate.

IP:

Charliey
posted January 21, 2001 02:26 PM            
If you arent getting any beeps at all, but the lights for the drives light up, just try re-seating your ram. This has happened to me.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 21, 2001 10:47 PM            
Hope you didn't walk across shaggy carpet then touch your motherboard

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 21, 2001 11:02 PM            
thanks all, for the help but I still can't make it work. I disconnected everything, and tried turning it on. I reconnected everything and tried. I'm just going to have to take my computer to a professional to fix it i guess. Also, thanks for the invitation to join BWL, I'm really honoured. I would join, but then who would you get to be the clan war photographer. Plus, I like being impartial especially since I run the DDM stats site, and hopefully other tournament information. It just Wouldn't look right, especially since BWL is kicking TC's butt in DDM competitions

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 22, 2001 01:52 AM            
Just wait until DNX makes it to a few DM's

IP:

Cell
posted January 23, 2001 01:22 PM         
Okay Coax, BWL was rooting for you join our side, that's for sure...

Wish you luck on your computer woes, maybe it will be something cheap, like the power supply. From the look of the other posts, everyone has gone through this at least once, also.

------------------
Cell / BWL

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 23, 2001 01:32 PM            
I know I've gone through it...

You said you were getting a Beep series - what is it? I might be able to tell you what the problem is based on it...though my resourses are quite old for beep codes. You can always contact you motherboard manufacturer to find out what it's beep codes are...

--RC

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 23, 2001 08:47 PM            
AH HA MORES CODE!!!!!!!

------------------
:^) Can't forget those smileys with big nose's at the bottem now can we :^)

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 25, 2001 01:17 AM            
Coax, hows about joining forces with the DFM to presentr the DDM results - theres no formal setup i have yet and yours looks cool - no clan affilliation, but whay, looks cool huh !

-=[/2]=-

ps: id join BWL if i were you - cept am not, and thats my downfall - hehehehe
/2ixy.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 25, 2001 04:06 AM            
BWL will be a forgotten wisper on gamers lips once DNX rules Matrix,are you conspiring with the enemy?Thats grounds for an Article 2 Court Martial.Oh...brings up fond memories of my Navy days
Coax,What type of computer do you have?My uncle is a techie for Dell and knows everything(no,he's not Santa Claus).He could give you a one on one if I ask him.It would beat having to pay for service.All I know is that when you get a system beep,its bad news.
Or option #2:You could by my old P75 I've got set up on my LAN

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited January 25, 2001).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 25, 2001 09:15 AM            
OK, somehow I managed not to post yet in this thread. Coax, do you have ICQ access? I can probably get you up and running really quick if we can just chat...

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted January 25, 2001 10:25 AM            
Since his comp is not running, I guess chances are small that he's got another one to use for chatting.

Btw: I don't think he mentioned any POST beeps.

Coax, does your hdd make the same sounds as usually - does your comp _sound_ like it's booting? Then it might actually be your graphics card. Otherwise, do take your comp to professional if nothing on this board helps.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (BWL/MG) (edited January 25, 2001).]

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 25, 2001 02:31 PM            
theres no beeps. everything sounds, and runs normally. I've sat in front of it for half an hour to see if i heard windows come up but it never did. So something is going on, and I'm afraid of some computer store charging me 500 dollars to fix my 1000 dollar computer, I don't like how the money adds up. I'm a poor college student who lives of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and Del Taco. I have a P3, 400Mz, 300-something ram compaq computer.

I only get to talk on campus computers these days. I haven't taken my comp to a computer repair store yet. But, most likely if i can't fix it, I'll do it this weekend.

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 25, 2001 02:54 PM            
coax, here's what I reccomend at this point :
Pull out _EVERYTHING_. Strip your case until the mobo is the only thing in it. Then plug in the video card and memory. If your system will POST, start putting everything else in one piece at a time. If it doesn't, pull out your CPU and reseat it. If you still get nothing, your motherboard is probably bad.

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted January 25, 2001 04:41 PM            
Err... Kaeto, that's quite exactly what I proposed in my first post.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 25, 2001 11:05 PM            
The only thing in the major disaster catergory to happen to me was the tube blew in my monitor while I was in the middle of a game of Starcraft Coax,I suppose your University is like mine nad and won't let you install on their computers.Otherwise,I would slap TM on a lab compuer and go at it.It hasn't been the same without seeing your Nemesis on the servers

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 26, 2001 08:32 AM            
Dreamer -
Uh. Whoops

IP: