|
Author Topic:   LDA: What about the Chat lockup?
synack
posted January 19, 2001 07:29 PM         
LDA: As I have described before, my PC-lockups occur (sporadically) when I start to Chat.

Where is the message buffering occuring? On the client or server?

This is my personal big complaint.

Since it doesn't deal with game play, and I haven't yet gotten a response to this issue, I feel as if it's not being considered seriously.

Your thoughts? thanks.

IP:

LDATom
Administrator
posted January 19, 2001 08:00 PM            
coax - Sorry for not responding to that part. As I recall the problem comes up when you're trying to chat while the game is running, not in the master server chat right? If that's the case, then I'm stumped. As far as I know it works for everyone else and gets used all the time. My only guess is that the driver has a problem with the way we're handling text drawing, but I would think that would cause problems everywhere for you since all the text drawing goes through the same code. There isn't anything special about the chat stuff from a display or network standpoint.

If the problem is when you try to use the master server chat, then I guess its possible that there's something wrong there, but I've never heard of it or seen it myself. That section doesn't get much use currently.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'll keep thinking about it.

Tom

IP:

Rex R
posted January 20, 2001 01:56 AM            
idle thought/Question have you tried 'chatting' in a single player game? and if so did the same thing happen?

IP:

synack
posted January 20, 2001 09:40 AM         
I've tested it in single-game play, and I haven't seen the problem. It's only when I'm playing online, and even then it doesn't happen all of the time. That's what's so puzzling.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 20, 2001 11:26 PM            
just for the record, I've never actually had this problem.

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

synack
posted January 21, 2001 06:39 AM         
Yeah, Tom was replying to me, but used your name by mistake.

Can't figure out why though ... you NEVER complain about anything!

IP:

Dreamer
posted January 21, 2001 12:32 PM         
Yes, he does...

IP:

synack
posted January 21, 2001 12:48 PM         
Tom, I don't know why I've forgotten to mention this before, but the other thing that can cause this lockup problem is depressing the Tab key to check the score. As with Chat, it happens sporadically. But sometimes when I hold the Tab key down too long (whatever "too long" is) it locks up. Sometimes it happens right away, other times only after holding it down for 10 seconds.

So, if, for the sake of discussion, we consider that it might be a programming or network code issue, the question in my mind is, what underlying processing do Chat and Tab key response have in common, that regular game play does not. My PC never locks during normal game play.

I wish I could figure this out because trading game commentary with players is half the fun. I even hesitate to say 'Hi' to people. In order not to appear rude to other players, I've even changed my playing name to "synack(can't chat - locks up PC)"

Is that pathetic, or what?

IP:

JL
posted January 21, 2001 03:48 PM            
Synack I know this is a stupid question but do you have an internet keyboard that takes a driver. Like a inteli type or something simular to give your keyboard extra features. If you do unistall it. I had a key board with internet features and it worked crappy with games.

IP:

synack
posted January 21, 2001 04:28 PM         
No such thing as a stupid question, JL. One of these days I might figure out what my problem is.

Nothing special about the keyboard. It's a Dell QuietKey. Came with the PC, a Dell Dimension.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 21, 2001 04:38 PM            
Synack: Refering back to what JL asked, try exiting all other applications before running the game. Could be some application is doing hotkey calls and is interfering with TM when those peticular keys are pressed. If it still happens, it could be a driver problem as Tom suggested. Does it ever lock up on the main gui screen? It seems odd that only Tab and Enter would cause peoblems becuase that type of font is used elsewhere...hmmm...

Oh - one other question: Do you have 2 devices on the same IRQ (check your system info under Acessories) - if so, is one of them the vid card? If so...that could be the problem. Mine reboots randomly 15-180 minutes into the game whenever I play online becuase my Vid Card and Modem use the same IRQ and occasionally interfere with each other (never happens unless I'm online). I've had lockups when I've had a sound card sharing an IRQ with the vid card...just need a motherboard that gives me more control over IRQs

--RC

IP:

synack
posted January 22, 2001 04:23 AM         
RC, I always exit all open applications and everything I can in the system tray before dialing up, and only then starting TM.

It isn't the Enter key, but while I'm actually typing a Chat message.

I'll have to look into the IRQ question.

IP:

swisher
posted January 22, 2001 08:58 AM            
Try typing through the alphabet. One letter at a time.

Perhaps one of the keys is a hot or macro key and you don't know it.

Do it slow:

Press enter, type the letter a, press enter; repeat this for every letter.

Do it for upper case, too.

Then, do it for each punctuation character.

If there is an unknown keyboard macro function/hot key, perhaps this will isolate it.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP: