|
Author Topic:   LDA: Overall problems
synack
posted January 16, 2001 08:24 PM         
Something, somewhere, somehow, is very wrong.

Things were in pretty good shape with the release of 1.5.5, minor bugs notwithstanding.

There were sufficient servers. Things were reasonably stable. Most everyone was having a good time.

Now things have changed.

There are no dedicated servers to be found. Those servers that do appear, disappear just as quickly.

Complaints are surfacing.

You user base is not growing as it should.

TM should be starting to flourish, but I personally see it floundering, and it makes me unhappy to see it.

What can you share with us, your faithful followers, regarding how you see events unfolding, what you're doing about them, what we all can do to help you (because we WANT to!), how you hope to see things work out, and in what timeframe?

keep the faith.
synack.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 16, 2001 08:40 PM            
I agree its a dangerous time for Tread Marks. Especially since if you buy the game over the counter you can't connect to the newer servers, very scarry.

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 17, 2001 12:37 AM            
I had a LAN party here tonight and i was raving wild about TM, but soon as we conencted up there were no servers to be found, i assumed it was his firewall so we disabled it, still no servers, reinastalled 1.5.5 - still no servers !

wtf is going on, it made me look a right laffin stock ! plus it blew about 40 sales right off the bat. they loved the game but wont buy due to bad support - guys i ant being funny, but if u want this game to succedd u gotta pull someones finger outa AAA's ass and make it work 4 a livin. or sign a deal with barrys world, m-player or gamespy.

Did i waste my hard earned dosh on this game ? i dont think so, but im starting to wonder.

-=[/2]=-

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 17, 2001 12:47 AM            
theres been at least 1 to 3 servers running tonight. Also, no one at the Lan party was able to run a server?

IP:

peeeto
posted January 17, 2001 08:37 AM         
*registers his concern as well*

please let us know what we can do to help

IP:

swisher
posted January 17, 2001 09:04 AM            
My recommendation is to do beta testing on ALL releases/patches/fixes, etc.

I've been a software developer for 14 years, and this is the only way to provide a quality product.

Patches have a way of "squeezing the balloon" -- you fix one bug, only to have another bug bulge out somewhere else on the balloon.

Beta before release.

IP:

swisher
posted January 17, 2001 09:56 AM            
Perhaps revert back to 1.5 virgin and then begin betaing at 1.5.8.

This will give servers to out-of-the-box new users and let the long-time user community pound 1.5.8 into shape via beta testing/beta BBS, etc.

IP:

peeeto
posted January 17, 2001 10:19 AM         
i agree with "beta test first" concept.
Swisher & LDA - please see the old "beta discussion forum"...

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 18, 2001 01:47 AM            
Get a Open Gl error when I have both versions installed.Maybe I need to run GlSetup to make sure I have the latest drivers.

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted January 18, 2001 03:54 AM            
-

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (BWL/MG) (edited January 18, 2001).]

IP:

Manray
posted January 18, 2001 04:38 PM         
The only problem I've had with 1.5.6 and 1.5.7 is that when I exit TM and then try to restart it I get an OpenGL error message. I have to reboot the system to get TM to load again.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 18, 2001 06:59 PM            
How can ya become a beta tester?

------------------
P) Can't forget those pirate smileys at the bottem now can we P)

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted January 18, 2001 08:50 PM            
The problem that I have been having is when I exit TM it hangs in the Taskbar and you cannot exit it without using CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up a task list and then click END TASK (sometimes twice) to get and END TASK window that will allow you to exit the hung version. I am running the 1.5.8 version, but it happened with 1.5.7 also. I am glad to hear that the server problem may be fixed shortly (if not already TOM). Now just find and fix this game exiting problem.

------------------
Pass the salt - it's time to go to sea. Clan TC forever.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 18, 2001 09:23 PM            
Same here Manaray

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 18, 2001 10:41 PM            
Hum?Installed the latest OpenGL and Voodoo 3 drivers and DirectX 8.0 and still get an "unable to find acceptible OpenGl content" when I try to run either version.They are installed in different directories.Anybody got any ideas?

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 18, 2001 10:43 PM            
Oh yeah,and the UK servers still run like crap.800-1000 ping when I normally get 300-400.

IP:

LDATom
Administrator
posted January 19, 2001 01:25 PM            
goldant - There is no beta program currently, but we may open one up again. If we do you'll see it on these boards.

sailor - There is no general exiting problem (as that would affect everybody), but there may be a problem with TM on your system. Make sure you have the latest video drivers for your card (I've heard of this in older 3dfx drivers). If that doesn't fix the problem, let us know and we'll see what we can do to help.

SuperUnknown and Manray - I know that the Voodoo3 can only support 16-bit color, so if your game is configured to run in a window but your desktop is set to 32 bit then you'll get that message. Try setting your desktop to 16-bit and see if that helps. I know that the drivers 3dfx had on their site back in October would crash when switching resolution. They confirmed that this was a bug in their drivers that would be fixed with a newer version in Nov (which appears to be up on their site) but I haven't had a chance to test this to be sure.

SuperUnknown - Sorry to see that you have a connection problem with the UK servers. I understand that they'll be switching to a different pipe and a cleaner machine after the weekend, so hopefully things will get better for you.

Tom

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 19, 2001 06:38 PM            
ohohoh im also a witness. I thought it was just my comp but now after i open tm i just leave it up cause the quit button just blanks the screen n puts a white square on your desktop

------------------
P) Can't forget those pirate smileys at the bottem now can we P)

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 19, 2001 11:47 PM            
Also lda if this is any help at all that white scquare it justs plays the tm music

------------------
:^) Can't forget those smileys with big nose's at the bottem now can we :^)

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 20, 2001 02:50 AM            
PING LDATom:
The UK servers are much faster now,but your solution didn't fix my software problem.I have the Voodoo 3 driver that was released in November.I have my desktop and the game set to 16 bit.I don't run the game in a window though.I could check nVIDIA for newer drivers since they bought out 3DFX.But I was thinking,if it is a driver problem,1.5 should have never ran correctly,right?I never had a problem running 1.5.It wasn't untill I installed the patch.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 20, 2001 08:33 AM            
Guys, why are we even having this discussion - i mean seriously, why release a game and market it without the ability to support it.

Just to clarify and use the Battlezone model. When activision released it 4 years ago it was ridden with bugs and they expected the game to flop - instead it made a name for itself, so they fixed ALL the bugs in one upgrade patch (1.4) since then everything is hunky dory and no more patches have either been released or are required.

Why so many patches in such a short amount of time ?

Ps - if you guys over at AAA or LDA provide some funding i can host a Cobalt RaQ server here in the uk, but the rental is over 300 usd (equivalent) about £200 uk pounds sterling.

There are some strong key players around the world, Dreamer in germany, me in the uk and a lot in the USA- you really only need to provide employment income to 5 people dotted around the world to run and support a TM dedicated server which will provide excellent ping of anyone connecting in around the world.

Maybe the way forward guys ! - ista bit of cash to do for lda or aaa but in the long run it will increase supprt, help sell games and increase the world user base. As with everything in business, speculate to accumulate. Besides you can run a server for each version from 1.5.5 to 1.5.8 and above on one server for accessibility.

It has the power, the nodes and the speed, you have the cash and the ability, we have the will; i say we combine them - so whaddaya think LDA / AAA ?

Shall we do it or let the game suffer, cos things r reachin a head - i got a lot of my members to buy this so youve had about 300 dollars out of DNX so far, dont make me look like a twat by not having the support after i raved about it for a month uh !

-=(/2)=-

IP:

LDATom
Administrator
posted January 20, 2001 12:07 PM            
Goldant - What video card and os are you running?

Super - Uninstall the patch, and reinstall TM from the original CD. Try the game again and see what you get. You should get the same behaviour on this with or whithout the patch, if you don't then I want to know about it. Just need you to verify it first

=DNX= Matrix - The obvious reason for the patches is that when we released the original CTF patch we broke some stuff, and CTF didn't work the way it was supposed to. We've been fixing things as we go along, and trying to keep you guys up to date. As for paying people around the world to run servers ... well, I really doubt that it is going to happen. If we were to do something like what you describe we would contact the hosting places directly. As for more servers, the Homelan servers should be back up on Monday or Tuesday (assuming I can get in touch with them ... aparently they're in the middle of big changes so its been really difficult getting through to them) and the UK servers are up and stable. That gives you two sets of servers on fat pipes, one in the UK and one on the west coast in the US. I play on the UK servers from the west coast with a ping of about 200ms, and the Homelan servers are usually around 100ms for me. If when both sets are up people are still having problems finding servers with good connections to play on, we'll look into getting more servers.

Sorry for the discomfort these past two weeks. Hopefully things will work themselves out over the next week with the 1.5.9 patch and the two major server providers coming online.

Tom

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 20, 2001 01:09 PM            
Hey now im only 12. But if u mean what button i push on start up its 3d hardware one at top. Sorry if its not what u mean't

------------------
:^) Can't forget those smileys with big nose's at the bottem now can we :^)

IP:

dichtegs
posted January 20, 2001 01:31 PM            
I finally purchased TM 1.5, patched to 1.5.8, and was ready to recommend to friends to all do the same. Now I am telling them all to stick with Demo 1.0, I put 1.0 back on my machine so we can do multi-player.

Please fix server problems.

When will 1.5.9 patch be out? Thank you.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 20, 2001 11:50 PM            
Voodoo 3 2000 PCI(yeah,I know...I have a AGP slot and I need a AGP card....very soon though ).OS is Windoze 98 SE.All drivers are up to date.

IP: