IP:

Kegel
posted January 15, 2001 10:27 PM         
Come and get it where?!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 15, 2001 10:28 PM            
i have one question though, can people with the 1.5.5 version be able to connect to 1.5.8 servers? and if so how is the problem going to be fixed?

IP:

Dreamer
posted January 16, 2001 01:17 AM         
One question, though - what are the changes implemented in this version?

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted January 16, 2001 04:41 AM            
Kegel: The downloads page at www.treadmarks.com

Coax: Should be fine unless the server is running CTF.

Dreamer: Basically just fixes....you'll have to tell us if we got it right.

Jim

IP:

synack
posted January 16, 2001 07:42 AM         
Do we install over 1.5.5 or 1.5.7, or doesn't it matter?

IP:

LDATom
Administrator
posted January 16, 2001 10:55 AM            
coax - I think Jim misunderstood you. Any version pre-CTF (1.5.5 and below) cannot connect to any version after CTF (1.5.6 and above). All of the CTF versions can connect to each other, but it is important that all the servers run version 1.5.8.

synack - It doesn't matter.

Dreamer - There is a changes.txt file installed with the patch. Here is a copy of the relevent section:

Fixed control changes not being saved
Fixed AIAutoFill not working correctly after a map change with dedi servers
When an AI is added, the server sends a message about what team it joined
Updated the flagpole.ent with Transitory = 1 so the poles would be removed correcly
Fixed "Flag was dropped" spamming messages when connecting to a game in progress

Tom

IP:

Rex R
posted January 16, 2001 02:14 PM            
it begins to look like the servers are going down during level changes. poss when switching to ctf(not sure) just had the Domino server go down on me during a level change

IP:

ramTHIS
posted January 16, 2001 02:30 PM            
I looked over my server's log file from last night, and I agree, it looks like my server crashed when changing levels....It played through about 4 or 5 games, and then switching, after some of the files had been loaded, it just stopped worked, and went into "Not Responding" error.

Also, when it starts running, has a lot of "file not found" messages coming up. I don't understand this, because I even reinstalled TM, so I KNOW all the files are there....example:

Loading Mesh: Liquid5/Liquid5LT.lwo
File Not Found in search path: "Liquid5/Liquid5LT.luv"
40 polygons converted to 12 strips.
Loading Mesh: Liquid5/Liquid5TurretHT.lwo
File Not Found in search path: "Liquid5/Liquid5TurretHT.luv"
154 polygons converted to 39 strips.
Loading Mesh: Liquid5/Liquid5GunHT.lwo
File Not Found in search path: "Liquid5/Liquid5GunHT.luv"
22 polygons converted to 7 strips.

dunno if this has to do with the crashes, but anyway

The server is running fine with the exception of this....hopefully we can find a fix...LDA?

[This message has been edited by ramTHIS (edited January 16, 2001).]

IP:

LDATom
Administrator
posted January 16, 2001 10:09 PM            
Those specific missing file messages are fine. The luv file contains texture coordinates, and is only defined for objects that don't use automatic mapping. Those objects use automatic mapping.

As for dedicated servers going down after a few map switches, I haven't seen that here after running a server for many hours to test this stuff. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, just that there's apparently a problem in there that's hard to find.

If I could get the dedicated.cfg files from the people who's servers are crashing, that might help.

Tom

IP:

ramTHIS
posted January 16, 2001 10:27 PM            
Tom, what is your email? I can send you my log files...

server is running well now...it's been going for about 2 hours without a hitch....fingers crossed....

-ram

IP:

LDATom
Administrator
posted January 16, 2001 11:17 PM            
tom@longbowdigitalarts.com

Tom

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 17, 2001 12:52 AM            
ram okay i was playing your server right before it crashed. This is what happened it was a no team game, and then a CTF map loaded which was quite weird. I grabbed a flag and went to find the other flag and when i got there it started making a purple clicking noise. Then it was time for the map to change and when it did, it seems the server crashed.

IP:

Rex R
posted January 17, 2001 01:22 AM            
right, on jan 16 bout 13.00 cst domino
I joined we were on ctf volcano then went to dm gravitor, 3rd map (don't recall the name)spooky joined, between maps 3 & 4 my screen showed player info sent, then timed out, re-fresh internet domino had disapeared. in case it matters I believe Neil had team frags on, I was running a fresh install of TM+1.5.8 up-date no mods

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted January 17, 2001 04:55 AM            
what exactly is a purple clicking noise?

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 17, 2001 05:10 AM            
when i had the flag and went to pick up the other teams flag it just flashed a purple pickup pic violently. I don't think there were teams configured in the .ent file thats why it didn't know what to do. But thats not what crashed the server it was from changing from DM-2-CTF-2-DM. And maybe it wouldn't of crashed if it had teams enabeled

IP:

swisher
posted January 17, 2001 09:10 AM            
I joined a game once and it immediately said in the upper left corner of screen: "You have the flag," but it was not a CTF map or game?

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

synack
posted January 17, 2001 09:16 AM         
saw the same thing that swisher did

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 17, 2001 10:35 AM            
I've also noticed the same thing.

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

LDATom
Administrator
posted January 17, 2001 10:59 AM            
coax - The flashing purple flag is something I've heard of, but never seen myself. It means the code is dropping and picking up the flag over and over again. I've been looking for something that would cause it, but so far I haven't found anything. I just got done running a game with no teams on a map with flags. The AI does stupid stuff and you can pick up a flag even though you shouldn't be able to (I'll fix both those things shortly), but other than that I didn't get any crashes.

swisher - I've never seen that message work that way, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Tom

IP:

LDATom
Administrator
posted January 17, 2001 11:06 AM            
I've been running a server using the default dedicated.cfg for the past 10 hours. I've played games on it here for about an hour and a half and been through 10 map switches myself (the server has had a ton while no one was playing). Everything has run totally smooth.

This is not to say that there isn't a problem, obviously something is going wrong out there, but I'm having a hell of a time finding it.

For what its worth, we did tests like this for quite some time before releasing 1.5.8, and we didn't have any problems then either so this is just a tad frustrating for us.

I would appreciate it if the people who are running servers that are crashing would send me the dedicated.cfg file they were using when the server crashed. E-mail it to me at tom@longbowdigitalarts.com

Tom

IP:

synack
posted January 21, 2001 11:35 AM         
That "you have the flag" message seems to appear when you first join a server, and the map is loading. As soon as it's done loading the map, the message goes away.

I don't believe that it reappears after that when there's a level change.

IP:

synack
posted January 24, 2001 07:48 PM         
update: It's not when the map is loading. It's when craters are being updated.

Still see it in 1.5.9

Hope it helps a little.

[This message has been edited by synack (edited January 24, 2001).]

IP: