|
Author Topic:   LDA: PC Lockups
synack
posted January 15, 2001 09:36 AM         
Those of you who've TM'd with me know that my PC suffers from periodic lock ups while I'm playing online, requiring a poweroff/poweron/scandisk/reboot before I can rejoin a game. Very, very frustrating to say the least. It happened to me last night, four times within a 1/2 hour.

Note that it's only when I'm playing online ... never when playing standalone.

To the best of my recollection, this seems to occur exclusively while I'm in Chat mode, typing a message. Usually, but not always, I'll be typing a longer message when it happens. Sometimes though, I only get 6 or 7 characters typed when it freezes solid. Other times I can type paragraphs with no problems.

I always shut off everything I can in the system tray before dialing up and connecting to a TM server. I also shut off the screensaver.

I mention all this in case you guys at LDA have this issue on your list, in the hopes that it might aide in troubleshooting.

IP:

Dreamer
posted January 15, 2001 01:24 PM         
Similar thing applies to me: TM crashes not my PC, but my ISDN modem - which subsequently crashes my PC (still trying to send packets, still trying to receive them)
It appears that TMs networking code might not be too stable on MS OSs... And this problem is fairly new: It never happened with the first full ver. of TM, but happens all the time with the new version (1.5.5) I've not played 1.5.6 or 1.5.7 online yet, so I don't know whether that runs any better.
In case you've changed anything about the TM network code, LDA, can you look into these problems, please?

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 15, 2001 04:45 PM            
TM freezes my comp and requires me to reboot also. But I've notice it happens less when I exit every other program before running TM. Like I exit seti@home and other programs that eat up ram.

IP:

synack
posted January 15, 2001 05:08 PM         
Well, although I'm sorry to see it happen to anyone, I'm sort of glad I'm not alone.

But when it does happen to you guys, is it when you're in Chat mode, like it does to me? If not, when does it happen? If we can help LDA focus on the likely trouble spots, we'd be doing everyone a favor.

And as I said, I also shut everything I can off before playing, and that includes memory-resident anti-viral software as well. (And believe me, that goes against my basic instincts in this trojan-filled eWorld!)

Any one else seeing this sporadic problem? Speak up so LDA can try to spot trends! Try to be as descriptive as you can about the circumstances of your lockup experiences.

IP:

LDATom
Administrator
posted January 15, 2001 07:15 PM            
synack - I'm sorry to hear about your problems, but the only thing I can come up with is that there's a bad driver or something. I suspect you've already gone through and installed new drivers for everything, but perhaps you missed the network driver? Failing that, I would start looking into hardware problems or a complete reinstall of the system (a pain in the butt, but it helps clear out a lot of problems in my experience).

Dreamer - I don't see any way for TM to crash a modem. We just generate TCP packets and send them out like everyone else.

coax - Perhaps you're running low on memory in your system? Not really sure, but I'd start there.

I keep cleaning up little sensitive spots in the code as I find them, but in general stuff is pretty solid. Assuming that there aren't driver / OS / hardware problems, that's about all I can really do for you guys.

Tom

IP:

synack
posted January 15, 2001 08:09 PM         
Tom,

I (we) appreciate the response. It's good to know that you're watching the boards. (we knew you were anyway)

But I'm not yet convinced that it's an isolated problem. My home pc is pretty new (ramTHIS, how new please??) so I shouldn't be needing new drivers at this point.

Something isn't right. Let's see if we get more players posting about similar problems to support my concern. If I'm really alone with my particular situation, so be it. I'll just deal with it. But if it's a larger problem, then I'm sure you want to know about it.

How about it folks? Anybody else with stories to tell? Now is the time to speak up.

IP:

ramTHIS
posted January 15, 2001 08:41 PM            
synack, the comp is less than a year old...it's a Dell P3 800Mhz
-ram

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 15, 2001 09:01 PM            
Well don't wory your not alone thats been happening to me since the old demo ;( whaaaaa took me long enough to get full. The modem would always shut off suddenly when i played tread marks grrrrrr. It seems to happen less now with 1.5.7 but still im afraid of it lurking around da corner

------------------
P) Can't forget those pirate smileys at the bottem now can we P)

IP:

Skandranon
posted January 21, 2001 10:18 PM            
Synack, you /always/ need new drivers. A year is an eternity in the software and hardware industries.

Find out what kind of vidcard you have, and get new drivers for it, along with the latest OpenGL files. After you have everything up to date, then you're on more firm ground to say something's wrong.
If you have trouble with it, ICQ or email me, and I'll try and help.

Skandranon

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted January 22, 2001 10:13 AM            
Gold_Ant: That's quite exactly what happens with my computer - the modem simply suffers a shutdown while windows thinks it's still active and programs keep trying to send packets until the system crashes. Or so it appears.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 22, 2001 11:04 AM            
Dreamer / GoldAnt: That happens to me when just doing anything on the internet - nothing TM specific (does it durring netscape use, etc - for me its a bad ISP)...I just ALT-TAB and reconnect while the game's running...but then I'm also using a dial up modem - don't know what you use.

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted January 22, 2001 11:47 AM            
The Prob is, I don't only get disconnected, but the modem (ISDN/USB) simply turns itself off. It almost _never_ does that under different circumstances, but _all_the_time_ when TM is running. Windows won't even bother recognizing it then until I reboot.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 23, 2001 12:18 AM            
Never happens to me n my trusty old broken worn out 56.6k modem just when TreadMarks is Open n everybody stops n theres a big nuke right in my face n poof i vanish to everybody else therefore escapen a drastic beaten

------------------
:^) Can't forget those smileys with big nose's at the bottem now can we :^)

IP: