|
Author Topic:   Animated BWL Flag
swisher
posted January 13, 2001 11:35 AM            
Peeeto, when you get around to creating our web site, try to include this amimated BWL flag:

I can e-mail you all of the source files, etc., for it.

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted January 13, 2001 02:02 PM            
Err... Well... Y not VRML?

IP:

swisher
posted January 13, 2001 10:11 PM            
Is your site the official BWL web site, Dreamer? When I initially joined, Peeeto said he was going to do a web site (his membership was somewhat contingent on creating one).

If you want the stuff, just say the word and I'll e-mail straight off to you.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

Cell
posted January 14, 2001 08:02 AM         
Peeto thought you forgot that part... He promised me free beer, but we'll forgive him when the website is up

Nice flag, Swisher, can't wait to see it on peeeto's site. (Put him to work, Dreamer)
http://www.virtualtm.de.vu/Peeto's_things_to_do_list

IP:

Dreamer
posted January 14, 2001 09:35 AM         
The question was: Why don't we do that in VRML?

IP:

swisher
posted January 15, 2001 08:40 AM            
What's VRML?

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

Cell
posted January 15, 2001 09:18 AM         
I'm trying to do one in Flash. I found a nice "clanking, Rolling" Audio file but I've got to relearn how to properly load it and make rollover objects ... Been awhile since I've used Flash for anything other than a basic slideshow...

Looks like you are VRML expert, Dreamer

[This message has been edited by Cell (edited January 15, 2001).]

IP:

Cell
posted January 15, 2001 05:46 PM         
Flash Version 1 Banner

Larger version 1a Header

IP:

swisher
posted January 15, 2001 05:54 PM            
Looking good!

The BWL site will have a few bells and whistles.

I have an animated logo, too (simple gif, not flash). It has the flags "blowing in the wind" on each side of lettering. I'll post it soon.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited January 16, 2001).]

IP:

swisher
posted January 15, 2001 05:57 PM            
Larger one's even better!

Cool. Perhaps have it pause momentarlly at the end to make it easier to read "Black Widow Lance".

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited January 16, 2001).]

IP:

Cell
posted January 15, 2001 06:06 PM         
I'll work on it later this week, I'm getting bugged about doing some REAL work right now.

I had it stopping, but accidentally overwrote it
I was trying to do a mouseover image switch at the end, and saved the wrong ver.

It's a pain saving and working on flash objects, I'll get the hang of it again, Swisher

IP:

Dreamer
posted January 15, 2001 06:36 PM         
swisher, please stop using the animated logo in every post. even though i do like how it looks, it distracts from reading and quickly becomes a pain for the eyes.
I'll update my site with as much logo stuff as possible as soon as I can manage after crosswinds finish their server upgrade.

IP:

Dreamer
posted January 15, 2001 06:51 PM         
Oh, and I'll never understand why VRML is not as well-known and -supported as it ought to be. It's a great language, you know - very few ambiguities in the specs, great possibilities for MUEs, java and javascript interaction; Cortona even supports really cool things like Phong shading (real time, afaik, I don't have a PIII), environment mapping, splines, nurbs, 3D Text... And I'm sure Cosmo Player (the only real competitor right now) has some nice features, too.
Plus, if you spend _lots_ of time, you can even program LOD and stuff to keep your world's fps high...
Now if I could just find the time to have a look at those activeX controls used to execute files from local webpages... -> since scripting is possible with VRML and thus interaction with HTML and VRML can be <embedded> into HTML, that would make for a nice Explorer replacement possibility...

IP:

Cell
posted January 15, 2001 08:07 PM         
New Banner for you, Dreamer

It only runs once, so hit refresh if you missed it!

Ver 1.0 fade out

ver 1.1 fade in

IP:

swisher
posted January 16, 2001 01:24 AM            
Here's the animated logo:

One-time post, Dreamer. I'll edit my other messages.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

Dreamer
posted January 16, 2001 11:47 AM         
swisher: one proposition - could you mirror one of the flags ? might look even cooler, I think...

cell: cool thing to have. done in flash, you say?

both: let us move this topic to the BWL mailing list, please. makes things easier for all of us and we don't spam LDA's board anymore. If you prefer, you can also use the board found at www.virtualtm.de.vu

IP:

Cell
posted January 16, 2001 02:26 PM         
Flash is great for making animated ANYTHING

Check out Der Bauer if you want to see some truly stunning Flash. Turn up your speakers!

I'll put the source *.fla files for the banners up later this week, if anyone wants them.

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted January 19, 2001 05:46 AM            
Well, just fyi: http://www.virtualtm.de.vu/Peeetos_things_to_do_list

That pretty much says it.
(Sometimes you just have to spam, you know...)

IP:

swisher
posted January 19, 2001 08:54 AM            
In Peeeto's defense, he did make our flag.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

peeeto
posted January 19, 2001 09:01 AM         
*blushes*

better add to that list: finish insulating the attic, run the new circuits, extend heating system, do the drywall, tape & joint-compound new drywall, sand & primer the walls, then paint the walls... oh yeah, don't forget that you're replacing the windows, but you have to re-point the brick sill on the front first, and you can't do that during winter, but of course you can't drywall near the windows 'till the new ones are in...

then have someone ELSE put in the carpet!

OK, done? now, re-build the fireplace mantle. then put a 4' x 7' hole in that structural wall & install a header for the new french doors. seal off the old door to that room, converting it to a small closet. seal off the old closet door completely. proceed to expanding the downstairs bathroom into the old closet for that room. oops! forgot to build the bathroom upstairs in the attic first!

all this while holding down a full-time job (barely)

hmm... does anyone have a spare 6 months to come over & help me? free room & board, and my wife's a great cook! i'll even get us DSL or cable for TM breaks!

IP:

peeeto
posted January 19, 2001 09:03 AM         
hee hee! i can't even claim THAT, Swisher!

Dreamer came up with the flag design & posted it... i just played around with the original for a few minutes & added some details to spice it up!

IP:

Cell
posted January 19, 2001 01:00 PM         
I hear you, Peeeto!
The place I'm living in was built in 1816, then in 1825, it was split in 1/2 and joined with another house. Talk about your architectural annomilies! Took me years to figure out why there were phantom staircases.
Always something to be fixed.

BTW, I got a few more items for the future site, I'll send you guys a Spam-O-Gram with the link this weekend, when I get them in a coherent order.

IP:

Rex R
posted January 19, 2001 01:05 PM            
heheh you forgot seal off each room before sanding the walls in an effort to keep the dust under control(try using a damp sponge to smooth the joint compound)

IP:

peeeto
posted January 19, 2001 01:16 PM         
got it, Rex! thanks!

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted January 19, 2001 01:54 PM            
Hmmm... I might come over for a few weeks, maybe even a month, but half a year? no way, sorry.

IP: