This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   chat language
Rex R
posted December 31, 2000 02:53 PM            
its not just I find some objectional, mostly its borring. I do wish people could be a tad more creative in their choice of epithets.

IP:

synack
posted December 31, 2000 04:08 PM         
I second that.

There's nothing we're going to do about it if some people choose to use foul language. It doesn't bother me personally, but there are young kids playing TM too, being subjected to this verbal abuse. That DOES bother me.

Someone mentioned to me that there is a language filter available on the TM server.

If true, maybe LDA can contact some of the server admins and request that they consider using it? Just my $.02

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted December 31, 2000 07:59 PM            
this could all be fixed if they gave me the power to boot people off the servers. Oh woops i mean let us vote boot people off the servers

IP:

tankabott
posted December 31, 2000 09:35 PM         
ug... please dont.

foul language is a matter of opinion, they are just words; i really dont understand why people think some words are offensive and others are not. i can see how a thought or idea might offend someone, but a word in it self? a word is just that, it bears no real significance unless it is used with other words to form an idea, expression, or thought.

i could say
a) ****ing **** you bastard.

or i could say

b) im going to rape your mom and blow my load in her face.

ok, which do you think is more offensive?
i would think "b" would be more offensive to most people

in the end; if you dont react to it, it means nothing. maybe you guys should learn to be more tolerant if anything. because there are much worse things people could say than just **** or ****.

if a parent really had a problem with the laungauge used in online chat games, they could disable it. parents need to monitor everything their young children are exposed to on the internet. i dont believe everything needs to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, if you have a problem with "foul" language you as an individual can take steps to limit your own interaction.
for example you could also change the vowels for numbers or symbols.

example:
ass=@ss
****=sh1t
****=f*ck

or like i said before you can just disable the chat box alltogether.
maybe someone could write a program that censors out certain words that might be considered offensive.

but please dont ban or kick people for typing a couple words, because you for what ever reason become uncomfortable when you read them.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted December 31, 2000 10:21 PM            
the problem is different Tankabott. Most people don't mind if some bad words are said. Damn, I usually piss Ant of 'cause I say them so often. The problem is that some loosers go into a game. And their only purpose is to trash the players on the server. They make fun of players. Call them racial names. They take away what the game is suppose to be, its suppose to be a fun loving shoot em up off-road tank destroying joy ride. Its not suppose to be a forum for pre-adulescent teens to get their rocks off making fun of people. Sometimes I call people bastards, but its in the spirit of the game; and they know I'm kidding, I don't go bashing them and their mothers. And those who don't respect the spirit of the game should be booted. This isn't a discussion on freewill or internet should be free or some other silly idea like that. Tread Marks is a family designed game, by a family owned company, meant to be a family friendly game. Those who abuse the game should be booted. Whether by vote or a moderator.

I just get kinda passionate about a game that I've played for so long. just my $0.02

[This message has been edited by coax (edited December 31, 2000).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 01, 2001 01:45 AM            
I am really not that offended by foul language.Usually,i just put symbols(%#$^$^!)when I want to cuss.I did have a problem the other day whan my 8 yo nephew saw somebody constantly drop the F bomb while I was playing.Just having a ay for the system operator boot people off would be enough to stop it.

IP:

Rex R
posted January 01, 2001 01:55 AM            
my main point was not so much the words per say its just that its the same words. and when you consider that you have to type them in each time, it makes you wonder. in a recent game 1 'person' kept saying (paraphrased) ai-inhales rapidley, usually IIRC just after they got fragged by 1.
the 1st time was moderatly novel the 10nth time it was boring. also if you're into teamplay(clan) you can't turn off the msg.s

IP:

JL
posted January 01, 2001 11:44 AM            
The systen Operater can boot people but it's almost impossible to constantly monitor the server. (/kick name of person to kick)

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 01, 2001 04:08 PM            
If the sytem operator kicks somebody wouldn't the person just come right back in again and again?

------------------
8) Can't forget those smileys wearing Sunglass's at the Bottem Can we 8)

IP:

synack
posted January 01, 2001 08:12 PM         
I didn't mean to stir up trouble with my comments.

I'm just reacting as a parent.

Most all of you are much younger than I. You may have different feelings when you're older, especially if you should have children. Your whole perspective changes significantly.

In the meantime, let's forget about this, and just have fun. The pottymouths will create their own demise.

Happy New Year to all!

IP:

JL
posted January 02, 2001 12:10 AM            
There is also a ban list for the server. You can use their name or IP to ban them. Once they are added to the list they can't join the server.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 02, 2001 12:19 AM            
That'd work but be harsh

------------------

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 02, 2001 05:02 AM            
how do you add someone to the banned ip list?

IP:

JL
posted January 02, 2001 08:25 AM            
I think you put the name or IP into the ban.txt file in the TM folder.

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted January 02, 2001 01:59 PM            
I'll try and get a list of all the server side commands from Tom within the next few days and add them to a web page...

I don't know the command for banning but I know there is a command that can be entered onto the server to do it...in the messaging box on the dedicated server panel.

--RC

IP:

swisher
posted January 02, 2001 02:17 PM            
Some commands:

/kick "Player Name" or ai-soAndso
/add ai-soAndso

Not sure if the slash is required. I think you can see the format of the commands if you launch a dedicated server.

By the way, there was more support than resitence to a language filter feature to weed out swear words. I pushed for it in the beta, (took a real beating for it, though).

[edit]
RC: The comamnds were posted in the beta BBS.

JL answered most of this...sorry.

------------------
BWL/MG

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited January 02, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited January 02, 2001).]

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 02, 2001 09:21 PM            
is the /add ai-.............
for when u put somebodys anme onto a server so there an ai?

------------------

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 04, 2001 01:23 AM            
whats the beta bbs?

------------------

IP:

peeeto
posted January 04, 2001 09:00 AM         
sorry, GA#1, it's a secret! we'd have to keeel joo if we told ya.

naw... - it was set up as a private discussion forum set up for the beta testers of the latest release of TM, where we could talk about changes to the program... now we just go there to talk trash about your guys...!

------------------
Black Widow Lance all the way, baby!

IP:

swisher
posted January 04, 2001 09:06 AM            
Golden:

No. The /add is to add more ai's in general. Perhaps you can name them whatever you want, but there just for the duration ogf the server.

There is a file that you can modify if you want to name your own AI's. Serarch this BBS for AI and you'll find it.

------------------
BWL/MG

IP:

swisher
posted January 04, 2001 09:07 AM            
BTW, these are all server console commandds. TYou have to "Launch Dedicated Server" from the TM launcher coonsole.

------------------
BWL/MG

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 04, 2001 12:58 PM            
I know how to add ai names its in the treadmarks folder

------------------

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted January 04, 2001 01:07 PM            
Swisher - they aren't on the Beta BBS - I just did a search of it (you know how hard it is to search a BBS that's both turned off and private?). The commands aren't there though...I looked for /kick, /ban, and /list. I'll ask tom when I next see him online.

--RC

IP:

swisher
posted January 04, 2001 03:24 PM            
Must have been in an email sent to all beta testers. Just looked at my HotMails, but no luck. Oh well.

------------------
BWL/MG

IP:

A2597
posted January 04, 2001 10:27 PM            
All I ever say is, and I quote:
Blankety Blank blank blank!!!

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2