|
Author Topic:   Missing features in 1.5
Frightening
posted December 29, 2000 06:41 PM         
Just purchased the 1.5 version of TM and cannot find the "mouse look" view option.

I also cannot find A3D sound support. Both of these were available in the Demo.

Maybe I am missing something, but right now I am not a very happy camper!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted December 29, 2000 07:23 PM            
demo1.5 or demo1.0?

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 29, 2000 07:52 PM            
Mouse look is still there, but I'm not sure it's called mouse look anymore.

A3D is gone, but TM uses software 3d sound now. It's not like there's any difference except this is faster and more compatible...

IP:

Frightening
posted December 29, 2000 09:01 PM         
Thanks, I found the "mouse look" view by holding down the right mouse button. I used to be able to drive the tank with this on. Very difficult now.

The A3D sounded better to me, too bad it is not an option anymore.

My old demo version is 1.0.1.1

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted December 30, 2000 01:42 AM            
Yeah,3d sound really adds to the game.I run mine with EAX through SoundBlaster Live.Use to have a card that supported D3d,but I think EAX sounds better.

IP:

Rex R
posted December 30, 2000 02:34 AM            
press the caps lock, this should give you a constant free/mouse look

IP:

swisher
posted December 30, 2000 08:36 AM            
Super,

What is EAX? I have a SoundBlaster Live! Value card.

Sound confuses me. I have a nice sound package on my PC, but do not understand how to use it (at all). I have Altec Lansing Dolby Digital Surround Sound speakers with sub-woofer. When I go into Start/Programs/Creative/AudioHQ and then double click the Speaker icon and test with four speakers, I get no sound out of the rear two. Any Ideas?

The rear do work (I hear them at Windoows Startup and other times).

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 30, 2000 10:42 AM            
*mumbles something*
I'll try to post some helpfull info later. I'm FTP installing Debian on my proxy right now, so I won't have internet access for a while...

[This message has been edited by Kaeto (edited December 30, 2000).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted December 30, 2000 01:26 PM            
EAX is Environmental Audio.If you have a fairly modern sound cars,like <3 years old,you should have EAX.I have 4 satellite speakers and a subwoofer.EAX will use 3d sound.Like when somebody shoots at you from the right side,it comes out of the right speakers.Some games go more in depth with 3d audio.For example,when you are going through a narrow corridor,the sound will echo.You'll have to enable it in the games sound options.If you don't have it,you can probablly upgrade it at the Soundblaster Live site.I know what your talking about when it you can test the 4 speakers.but I don't know why it dosen't work for you.Just make sure you have the 4 wires in the correct slots and that you enable it in the sound option menu.

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited December 30, 2000).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 30, 2000 03:20 PM            
Ok, here's the good stuff from the hardware guy (me, duh!)

If a game doesn't support EAX, it won't use it. There are basically four types of 3d sound :

Software 3d sound. Usually pretty poor quality compared to true 3d sound, but IMO TM's sound code is an exception.
DirectSound3d. Uses a 3d soundcard (such as an SBLive or an Aureal card) to do 3d sound. Doesn't do any effects though.
A3D. Aureal's propriatary 3d sound/fx library. Techinically superior to EAX, but chugs CPU power like nothing else and is very hard for developers to use well. A3D 1.0 doesn't have very many features, but it works on Creative cards too. A3D 2.0 is where the goodies are at, but only works on semi-newer Aureal cards, and uses an incredible amount of CPU power.
EAX. Creative's "extensions" to DirectSound3d, which have been recieved quite well. Most games now have an option to enable EAX in their sound configuration options.

If you have digital speakers (i.e. they plug into the digital out on the SBlive), then you should just be able to set it to "four speakers" in that dialog and have it use all four for everything. Stuff that doesn't support hardware 3D sound will just play as doubled stereo. Also try clicking the little plus icon above the volume control in the mixxer and turning digital out only on.

I recommend that you download the newest drivers from creative.com, they have _TONS_ of bugfixes. Feel free to email me your system specs and such if you need help getting it to work.

IP:

swisher
posted December 31, 2000 01:33 AM            
Thanks. I'll get started soon. Going to do full reinstall of everything January 1, 2001.

------------------
BWL/MG

IP:

swisher
posted January 02, 2001 08:44 AM            
Kaeto,

I do have digital speakers and there is a digital out jack on the sound card. Right now, I have nothing plugged into the digital out jack. I think there is a main output (black?) that is going to the sub-woofer input. I'm at work right now, so I can't confirm. I'll post tonight to let you know exactly.

One more thing: My headphones plugged into the headphone jack used to work fine. They do not work at all any more. Strange, when I go into 4-speaker mode, when the voice says "right-rear", and then "left-rear", that sound comes from only the headphone, and not the actual speakers.

Well, tonight I'll post specifics.

Thanks for offering to help.

------------------
BWL/MG

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 02, 2001 10:29 PM            
I don't have anything running from my digital out.I have the 2 plugs connected to the 2 speaker slots on the back of the sound card.Then the 2 wires run to the front and rear audio inputs on the back of the subwoofer.Then the 4 speaker wires run into the speaker slots on the back of the subwoofer.Thats all the wires I have(besides the power cord of course).If you have the type of speakers I do and its hooked up like that,it should work.The only place you can really mess up is the front and rear audio imputs on the back of the woofer.If you have those 2 wires in the wrong spot,then it could run screwy.If thats not the problem,it might be software.Mine install was kind of buggy if I remember correctly.

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited January 02, 2001).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 02, 2001 10:38 PM            
Swisher - why don't you drop me a line or something? I suspect this conversation will get a lil' big for this BBS

IP: