|
Author Topic:   3D Modeling
ramTHIS
posted December 29, 2000 02:54 PM            
I know this should probably go in the Mod Discussion forum, but since most people read this one, I thought I'd get more of a response here :

I've played around modding some of the .ent files and bmps etc, but I want to learn how to create the actual 3D models to create new shapes for the weapons.

First off, how difficult is this?
Second, is there a particular program that I should use to do this? and even more important, do I have to buy it? or are there free/shareware versions of it?

I'm just getting a little bored changing the look of existing weapons and want to branch out, if it doesn't involve 3 months of learning!!!

I look to the experts we have here for help!!

Thanks

IP:

peeeto
posted December 29, 2000 03:01 PM         
one little word: "Blender" (www.blender.nl)

Blender can create Lightwave models (.lwo).
and if u learn how to use it, let me know!
(i just don't have the time and have other means...)

then for texturing, liquid textures are no problem. i can help you with .luv files for 'metal' objects if you need.

------------------
Black Widow Lance all the way, baby!

IP:

ramTHIS
posted December 30, 2000 09:32 AM            
Ok, I downloaded Blender, and have done a few tutorials....but I can't figure out how to actually make a weapon...

Maybe someone can answer a few more questions for me:

1. Is there a way to open existing TM objects to see how they are put together?

2. How do you know how big to create them?

3. How do you assign textures to them so that the pictures match the shape?

This isn't the most intuative program I've seen...and any help would be appreciated

Thanks

IP:

peeeto
posted December 30, 2000 01:24 PM         
the player "A2597" is a blender expert.

for size, 1 unit = 1 meter i think.

can Blender import .lwo files? if so, import some too see size...

texturing is a bit more complicated... get the modelling done first, then texture as a liquid object (see the liquid tank .ent files for info.)

to texture as metal, you have to create a .luv file (UV map). once you have a model to texture, let me know...

------------------

IP:

peeeto
posted December 30, 2000 01:30 PM         
also get "3DExploration" as well - it's a great previewer/conversion program!

------------------

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 30, 2000 03:09 PM            
ramTHIS - Blender is INCREDIBLY hard to use, but don't give up on it. It is also amazingly powerfull.

IP:

ramTHIS
posted December 30, 2000 05:10 PM            
Thanks guys....I'm tryin....but it is kinda fickle...and it comes with almost no explanation of what all the buttons and variables mean...I only hope I can get a handle on some of the basics before I have to go back to school in mid-January....or else I doubt I'll have time to mess around with it again until May....

If A2579 is reading this, HELP!!!

I haven't been able to import .lwo files...does 3DExploration have the capability to convert from .lwo to .blend and back?

Well, back to the drawing board...

IP:

Rex R
posted December 31, 2000 01:28 AM            
I think so. I started looking at a tank ent when it dawned on me, gadzooks you mean I have to make a min of 3 meshes(was thinking 2). ok so how many poly's do I get for the tankgun?

[This message has been edited by Rex R (edited December 31, 2000).]

IP:

peeeto
posted December 31, 2000 04:46 PM         
Rex: for the gun, doesn't matter... just "borrow" one from an existing tank (you mught have to translate it into position)
just make sure that the sum of the poly meshes are 500 or less.

ramTHIS: i don't think 3DX exports .blend files... but see what Blender can import, and i'm sure 3DX can export one of those (i think .dxf will work for ya).
also, you might want to order Blender's manual - i think it's only $30 and it would help support the program. you won't find a better deal than that! (3DSMax costs thousands!)

------------------

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted December 31, 2000 05:54 PM            
I tried importing the stuff into blender and i just got a blank screen ;(

------------------
<:) Can't forget those smileys wearing Dunce Caps at the Bottem Can we <:)

IP:

ramTHIS
posted December 31, 2000 06:05 PM            
I've found that if I create an object in blender, save it as a .dxf, and open it in 3DX, I can save it as a .lwo...now I just need the .ent files to get set up, and then I'll be ready to talk to you, peeto, about texturing....that may be a day though...I'll let you know

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 03, 2001 06:21 AM            
AAhhhhhhhhh

the joys of modding. !

IP:

A2597
posted January 03, 2001 11:32 PM            
BACK from a nice vacation.
I see 3D exploration has been mentioned. good. to scale the things, just convert to DXF and open them in Blender. Easy.
I have a few tutorials done...but they are ment for rendering mostly right now, I suggest www.blendermania.com for their tutorials.
oh OK, re-read some post, Blender can import DXF modles. Yes, there is a steep learning curve, I look at it this way, don't press any button you don't know what it does, only look at the buttons you know how to use.
If you wish, you can see some of my works with blender at www.geocities.com/a2597
just look for images and my Blender page is www.b5blender.com
Have fun!

------------------
--===BOOM===--

[This message has been edited by A2597 (edited January 03, 2001).]

IP:

peeeto
posted January 04, 2001 09:08 AM         
i like this one: www.geocities.com/a2597/errwehaveaproblem.jpg

------------------

IP: