|
Author Topic:   third cool idea
coax
Administrator
posted December 23, 2000 02:57 AM            
after you die while playing a deathmatch. i WISH YOU DIDN'T AUTOMATICALLY RESPAWN, 'CAUSE sometimes I like to take pictures, and sometimes I need to say something in chat without fear of being fragged

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted December 23, 2000 03:43 AM            
That brings up the question of fragging etiquette too.Should fragging someone who is chatting be a Fedral Offense?Theres nothing worse than to be typing on your keyboard than getting nailed from behind with a cheap shot.Just kidding,thats how I get my kills

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted December 23, 2000 06:03 AM            
I have met people who abused the chat function to protect themselves - starting to chat whenever they were in fear of lethal frontal assaults...

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 23, 2000 08:50 AM            
Well, don't go out of your way to kill chatters, but if you find yourself nose-to-nose with one, and running away means making yourself vulnerable to them, frag away!

IP:

JL
posted December 23, 2000 12:00 PM            
People should avoid long chats with enemy tanks around anyway. If you have something important to say and can't wait till your in a safe spot you should expect to be fragged.

Allthough I'm nice and usaully don't fire, there are those times.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted December 23, 2000 03:42 PM            
I say blow um up. Unless you know somehow that what there about to type next is useful. Or there answering somebodys question.

------------------
_O-) Can't forget those Water-Proof Smileys at the bottem can we _O-)

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted December 23, 2000 04:46 PM            
Generally the adopted practice is not to frag someone when chatting unless they do it specifically to avoid getting killed. Only frag them if you are going to die if you don't frag them...or if someone else is attacking them also (though I prefer taking out the attacker ).

As for the respawn - that was added back when people used to not respawn for...er...hours sometimes (it forces someone to play the game and not take a lunch break - which was happening back in beta2.0 and 2.1 when it was added).

------------------
Random Chaos
Longbow Digital Arts
neym@longbowdigitalarts.com
------------------
Admin for theTerrain Deformation Site, Terrain Deformation Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos and the Mining Guild

IP:

Karldar
posted December 23, 2000 08:48 PM            
What about implementing a way for players to remain inactive for a short period of time(longer than it takes to spawn after dying, tho)? After being inactive for more than a certain amount of time(5-10 min) you get disconnected, mebbe....

I dunno-just my two cents. I don't take screenshots myself-I usually can't wait to get back in the action

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted December 27, 2000 09:36 PM            
ok the lunch time break is understandable but a minute to five minute time period to respawn would be a good compromise

IP:

Rex R
posted December 28, 2000 01:36 AM            
nudder Q about fragging etiquette is it really sporting to frag some one while they are connecting?

IP:

swisher
posted December 28, 2000 08:45 AM            
How do you know if they're justing connecting? I see a message, but sometimes in the heat of battle, it's hard to say wheater the tank in front of you is that connecting person or not.

IP:

Rex R
posted December 28, 2000 01:12 PM            
well if you are on a server with 1 other person and no AI I would guess it would be easy, off hand I'ld say if they don't react at all after the 1st hit, that would be a clew

IP:

Spike
posted January 04, 2001 05:42 PM         
This actually raises an interesting point.

Is there an 'observer' mode to the game, where you can be connected to the server and just watch other players doing their thing?

I've found this to be extremely useful in other games (notably in Tribes).

-=S

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 04, 2001 07:22 PM            
I agree, we should push for just such a mod.

IP:

Cell
posted January 04, 2001 09:24 PM         
Sounds useful to a minor extent,I agree, but what a waste of precious bandwidth.
If every server had it to spare, that's fine, but most don't.

I also see where,in CTF, it could be abused as espionage to spot the flag or you could follow your nemisis around as a spotter while your buddies pound on him.

IP:

Cell
posted January 04, 2001 09:24 PM         
C**p, hit "enter" twice again!

[This message has been edited by Cell (edited January 04, 2001).]

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 05, 2001 12:34 AM            
I've done that with some really long posts with pics ;( Rc deleted um for me

------------------
8) Can't forget those smileys wearing Sunglass's at the Bottem Can we 8)

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted January 05, 2001 01:19 AM            
Gold Ant: I never deleted any of your posts...

Cell: As for your mention of CTF - there are VERY stong reasons against longer max respawn times due to the scoring method for CTF. You'll see what I mean once it comes out.

--RC

IP: