|
Author Topic:   player bio page
coax
Administrator
posted December 18, 2000 04:35 AM            
I want to make a webpage where it has a lot of the names of the people in the TM community with a baeuty shot of them in their favorite tank or something, and a quick and dirty bio. The trouble is i don't want to be the only person who makes it. If someone wants to join me please let me know; or I just won't do it yet.

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted December 18, 2000 12:33 PM            
Interesting idea.

I'd recommend you use a database to do it with the ability to register (similar to UBB registration but using a database instead) and therefore have the ability to edit your bio. Have no control other than a profanity filter. Don't allow pics (unless you plan to screen every submission for offensive content). And make the entire submission process automated. Then all you have to do is create the html and database and maintain the site, not enter all the submissions. If you have to monitor/review all the submissions it could easily take most of your time.

Talk to this person on ICQ about a location: (I'll e-mail you the number). Possibly a sub site of my 3d-unlimited site. He's the owner of 3d-unlimited. He can install MySql for database purposes onto a site - something I need for my mod pages in the VERY near future! What I'd recomend asking for is a subpage of my site for doing all this. I'm sure he can arrange that.

------------------
Random Chaos
Longbow Digital Arts
neym@longbowdigitalarts.com
------------------
Admin for theTerrain Deformation Site, Terrain Deformation Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos and the Mining Guild

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted December 18, 2000 05:55 PM            
okay I'll look into it

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted December 18, 2000 07:59 PM            
Coax - I sent it to your ICQ - your Excite e-mail isn't working...give me an e-mail with the addy you want to use.

IP:

Unforseen Chaos
posted December 18, 2000 11:13 PM            
That would be a cool site, i would definetly bookmark it.

------------------

.-==KABOOM==-.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted December 19, 2000 03:45 AM            
Not to be modest ,but I'm pretty good at webpage designing.Not sure about adding a registry though.If that helps out any....

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited December 19, 2000).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted December 19, 2000 03:49 AM            
Another ? that is slightly on topic.When you want to create a screen shot and hit print screen to create a .gif on Windoze Clipboard, the fill is huge in size.Are there any good utilities that compress this to a smaller format like .jpg?

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted December 19, 2000 04:27 AM            
Hmmm.... check download.com

IP:

Hawk
posted December 19, 2000 09:01 AM            
Kaeto and I already have bios and overdone pictures Although the pictures are of us looking like bloody loonies instead of actually doing anything productive (like using REAL guns to shoot each other instead of the cheesy arcade game guns )

------------------
Temporal Chaos 0wnz j00!

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted December 19, 2000 10:09 AM            
A nice free tool for file conversion/viewing is Irfanview.

[edit]I keep messing up those ubb tags[/edit]

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (BWL/MG) (edited December 19, 2000).]

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted December 19, 2000 08:12 PM            
I also agree that would be a great site good luck if ya need some help ask. Don't know as much as SuperUnknown though but i do know a little) VERY LITTLE hehe

------------------
:) Can't forget those Smileys at the Bottem can we:)

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted December 20, 2000 12:06 AM            
Thanks Dreamer, it does a good job.Now for some screen shots once I get this UBB code figured out.I guess the image you insert has to be online somewhere and can't be on a local machine or a password protected server right?

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted December 20, 2000 04:16 AM            
yup

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted December 20, 2000 05:13 AM            
It's 2 o'clock in the morning and I'm off to download.com to look for something like that registration HTML or something. If you guys see something let me know. I'll tell you if i find something worth telling about

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted December 20, 2000 11:16 AM            
You might be able to do it with CGI's - but it would be complicated coding.

--RC

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted December 21, 2000 12:20 AM            
Think I found a easy way to do it coax http://www.egroups.com/group/treadmarks187
Its not automated but it gets the job done easy enough.Moderator has complete control over posts and accepting members.There is also a database with a lot of potential, a place for links, and a message board.Few other goodies that are pretty cool.
Can some people subscribe and post something so I can give it a test.

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited December 21, 2000).]

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted December 21, 2000 01:57 AM            
i don't know super, it looks good. But like you need to get approved and I didn't like submitting my info to a third party.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted December 21, 2000 02:38 AM            
I've never tried to make a webpage by hand before. I've always used an editor. I'm trying to learn cgi scripts right now it seems the only way to go. If anyne has any knowledge on it and wouldn't mind me bugging them all the time let me know

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted December 21, 2000 04:52 AM            
Shoot,I've never made one by hand before either.Thats why there are HTML editors.I tried to learn how to write programming language once, but you have to have a lot of spare time on your hands.Thats something I don't have a lot of.Good luck to you though.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted December 21, 2000 05:28 AM            
then again their is always the old fashioned method. Where you just send me the info and i do it manually. I'll assume it'll be a hedache for the initial rush but maybe it would die down. I'm going to probally try that first and maybe get scripts going when I learn how. I'll probally buy a book tommorrow but they don't usually help to much.

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 21, 2000 08:46 AM            
I can write HTML. Not much else, but I can write HTML

IP: