|
Author Topic:   PC lockup problem
synack
posted December 12, 2000 08:00 PM         
still having it, despite uninstall/reinstall.

connected to Domino, started a match with 4 bots, and my PC locked up solid. Rebooted, restarted the match, and locked up again.

I've tweeked nothing.

Is it just me? Is no one having any similar problems at all?

I'm not blaming Domino. In fact, I'll go now to my home PC and connect to Homelan and see what results I get.

My experience to-date has been too inconsistant to cast blame. Most likely, the problem is here and local, but I just with I could figure it out.

All *sniff* I wanna do *sniff* is play.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted December 12, 2000 10:33 PM            
maybe its the music, try diabling the music first and then connect, but this is one wild shot in the dark

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 12, 2000 10:35 PM            
How much HD space do you have free? Do you know your system specs? Are you running up-to-date drivers?

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted December 12, 2000 11:06 PM            
Try setting the bit rate (under misc settings) to 2k. If this works tell me. I'll pass it on to Tom. Not sure what the problem is though. Just wondering if that might fix it. Right now we don't have a place to start looking at your problem since no one else is experiencing it.

--RC

IP:

synack
posted December 13, 2000 04:51 AM         
music was already disabled.
Free HD space is over 33G.
Frame rate is currently 3K.
I don't know the processer speed, but it's a pretty new Dell Dimension, and it's as fast as was available when we got it less than a year ago.

Don't have the time right now, but I'll try turning down the frame rate again, and then I'll try uninstall/reinstall. I played just fine at 3k and a little higher on previous occasions.

IP:

Cell
posted December 13, 2000 06:14 AM         
Try disabling the screen saver first. You seem to be dropping out at almost regular intervals,like a timer!

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted December 13, 2000 09:42 AM            
Also try using Ctrl-Alt-Del and ending all extra background applications. It is possible one of them is causing a conflict with TM (in addition the screen saver which Cell mentioned). Also, do you have problems with any other games? If so your video card might be overheating which could cause your computer to crash.

--RC

IP:

peeeto
posted December 13, 2000 10:15 AM         
it only happens on multiplayer games?

my PC lock on TM occasionally - was having many lock-ups last week, this week seems OK so far. i suspect heat problem, so i started lifting the sliding face plate on my case to expose the front vent & seems to work (so far). i have to just take the thing off eventually - when it's up the vent is exposed and the disk slots & power button are covered...

the same problem happened more often when i first installed my new (then) vid card last january. i had to reduce the "AGP Aperature Size" in the PC's BIOS to 16MB, and that did the trick for TM full ver 1.0 (PC:PII, memory 96MB; vid card: TNT2, memory 32MB)

synack - since you got the PC some time ago, check the Dell website for video driver updates (while you're at it, you might want to get & install all the updates for your PC).

------------------
Black Widow Lance all the way, baby!

IP:

synack
posted December 13, 2000 05:45 PM         
Tanks [sic] for all the suggestions guys. I'll slowly work my way through this, and if I figure out exactly what's causing the problem, I'll post it so we can help others who may experience similar difficulties.

IP:

synack
posted December 14, 2000 06:39 AM         
ok ... had an "improved" playing experience last night.

Uninstalled/reinstalled, but it didn't help. Lockup!

Tried turning off the screensaver, but still locked up within 2 seconds of starting just a single player game! I wasn't even online!

Then I shut off everything I could in the system tray. I was then able to play for quite a while, including online play.

Yesterday we brought our son home from college for the holidays, and I was introducing him to TM. He even played a few of you online last night as "RamThis."

Funny thing was, as soon as I sat down and changed the player's name to my own and started a game, CLINK. Locked up tighter than a drum! Coincidence?

Anyway, probably sometime today I'll go through the items in the system tray more methodically, and try to determine which one(s) is(are) causing the conflict.

IP:

Cell
posted December 14, 2000 07:06 AM         
OK, your at the point where I would open it up, take out every card except Video, CPU, & RAM, make sure all those are properly seated,and cooled, then restart it.

Re check the Bios to optimize and update the settings.

If it doesn't run on that, then I'd quit screwing around,and run backup or format c:/q & install a disk image. That always works

IP: