|
Author Topic:   some online problems
synack
posted December 10, 2000 12:35 PM         
I've been having a ball playing on the Domino server yesterday. Saw a number of you there.

But now, everytime I connect to the server, my PC freezes. I've tried setting my framerate low. I've clicked down to 1K and still the PC hangs. Also tried turning down or off various options.

Has anyone else been having similar problems yesterday late and today, or is it just me?

I also haven't seen the master server up since very early Saturday morning EST. Again, just me or has it been down?

IP:

JL
posted December 10, 2000 01:12 PM            
I've been playing that server on and off all weekend and didn't seem to any problems,
And the master server has been and still is up.

IP:

JL
posted December 10, 2000 01:21 PM            
The master ip address should be 216.101.212.117
if it ends in :12399 backspace until the port # is gone you just want the ip. If you change or delete the master ip it defaults to 216.101.212.117:12399 but for some reason if the port # is there it won't connect.

[This message has been edited by JL (edited December 10, 2000).]

IP:

synack
posted December 10, 2000 03:16 PM         
hmmmm ... I didn't touch the master IP address that was supplied during installation, but beginning yesterday sometime, it would send the challenge, then switch to a blank screen with the message, "checking web page" (or something similar), then return to the server menu and report that the master was "not connected." I still had the Domino IP address as the last server I played, so I'd just click 'start' and then my problems would begin.

Everything worked fine for hours at first, so I'll hope there's a simple solution to this. I'll check it out and try what you suggested. thanks JL.

IP:

JL
posted December 10, 2000 03:50 PM            
yes when you get the checking website screen I think it resets the ip with the port #. removing the port # should get the master server working.
But I'm not sure why your computer freezes.
does it make a connection then freeze, do you see syncing entities or map loaded?
Do you use a firewall or proxy server. Use an ad filter program or anti virus software running in the backround?

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted December 10, 2000 03:55 PM            
Hmm...I'll look into it. Don't know what the problem is. Could be that the master server is/was down. It occasionally does that. The master will soon be changing IP's and when it does there will be a secondary master server also. That will eliminate the occasional crash of the master server.

IP:

synack
posted December 10, 2000 06:07 PM         
JL, as you know 'cause you and me and Dudey mined a bit today, I uninstalled and reinstalled TM 1.5, and things are much better.

I think somehow something got corrupted, because certain events were not occuring, i.e., hearing "you got da nuke" when I'd pick up the nuke. There were a few other examples that I can't remember at the moment, but I had the gathering feeling that "something" wasn't right.

After I reinstalled and joined the mining server was the first time I saw the "synching entites" message.

That session went rather well (by my standards) until I finally froze a few minutes ago.

I just rebooted (my home pc, as opposed to my laptop from which I now post.)

I'll get back on and see how things go.

Cheers!

IP:

synack
posted December 10, 2000 06:11 PM         
oh, and I don't know if I go through a firewall on my ISP. I know I do through my office connection (since I'm responsible for it :-)

so I know why I can't avail myself of the 40M pipe to the Internet that my office has.

IP:

Neil McRae
posted December 11, 2000 04:30 AM            
If you have problems with the DOMINO server or you think its down please drop me an email to neil@DOMINO.ORG and I'll happily look into it. Alot of people played on it this weekend!

Cheers,
Neil.

IP:

synack
posted December 11, 2000 06:26 AM         
Thanks.

But I'm pretty sure the problem was with my PC. After I reinstalled 1.5, things worked just fine again. Something had become corrupted somehow, but the reinstall apparently cleared the problem. I was back on Sunday afternoon and evening for a little while, and had a wonderful time.

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted December 11, 2000 01:26 PM            
I am not sure if this is what your problem was but:

There was a problem identified with the master server update web page. This was casued by both versions 1.0 and 1.5 using the same page to update. Since the web page specified the port number on it both 1.0 and 1.5 would attempt to connect to the same master server and port number. When 1.5 attempted to connect to the 1.0 master server the game would lag a moment but continue on normally just display no servers. The web page has been altered so this should not happen, but there may yet be remaining problems. If there are we would like to know about them. If your client updated the master server address durring the problem period you may have to manually reset the master server address to the correct number.

------------------
Random Chaos
Longbow Digital Arts
neym@longbowdigitalarts.com
------------------
Admin for theTerrain Deformation Site, Terrain Deformation Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos and the Mining Guild

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos LDA (edited December 11, 2000).]

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted December 12, 2000 03:24 AM            
i have a quick question was the server fix, a mac file or something what exactly type of file is it?

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted December 12, 2000 12:49 PM            
The server fix? Are you refering to the one that was released about a week ago? If so this is what it did. It changed several %s calls to the application to <temp> so that the clients wouldn't crash the server when changing teams or anything that automatically calls a team change (such as changing Tanks, Names, and BitRate). The result is that anytime a team is changed it comes back as "Player <temp> changed teams to <temp>." This fixed the bug until an actual patch can be released.

------------------
Random Chaos
Longbow Digital Arts
neym@longbowdigitalarts.com
------------------
Admin for theTerrain Deformation Site, Terrain Deformation Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos and the Mining Guild

IP: