|
Author Topic:   In 1.5: what happened to Software 3D OpenGL option?????????
synack
posted December 08, 2000 08:53 PM         
FINALLY was able to buy 1.5 at Babbages. Raced home hoping to engage you guys in battle this evening. Installed it. Found only "Hardware 3D OpenGL" and "Voodoo" start options.

NEITHER OF THEM WORK ON MY BLOODY COMPAQ LAPTOP!!!!!!!

What happened to "SGI Software 3D OpenGL" start option????????

Have I waited all this time in vain?

LDA, PLEASE say the magic words to make 1.5 work for me. I'm going to bed tonight a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY unhappy camper.

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 08, 2000 09:53 PM            
LDA - would replacing his opengl32.dll with the comsogl dll work?

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted December 08, 2000 10:02 PM            
Software mode was removed in all Version 1.5 copies due to its poor performance. There are no plans of ever incorperating it into the game again. Do a search for AltGL - its a program that basically runs a conversion driver from OpenGL to DirectX in the background. It might work - but I never found it satisfactory on either my laptop or desktop. If you had downloaded the 1.5 demo it was removed there also.

------------------
Random Chaos
Longbow Digital Arts
neym@longbowdigitalarts.com
------------------
Admin for theTerrain Deformation Site, Terrain Deformation Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos and the Mining Guild

IP:

A2597
posted December 09, 2000 12:40 AM            
I got about 7-10 FPS more in Software mode....

------------------
--===BOOM===--

IP:

synack
posted December 09, 2000 03:31 AM         
I downloaded AltGL, but it doesn't do the trick. It does allow TM to start in Hardware 3D OpenGL mode, but it doesn't display text - only little shaded boxes. So you can't read any menu picks, etc.

If I try the Voodoo1/2/Rush start option, it tells me, "a required DLL file, 3dfxvgl.dll, was not found."

I don't know, nor do I know how to determine, if my Compaq laptop has this Voodoo-thingy. If it doesn't, then getting the .dll wouldn't help me, would it?

I did find a site with the driver for Win98, but I'm running Win95. Would it help (or hurt) to try downloading the W98 .dll, or is that a bad/useless idea?

I never downloaded the 1.5 demo since I read that Internet play was disabled in it.

Nothing like getting a new toy home, and finding out it doesn't work.

*sigh* unhappy camper

IP:

Dreamer
posted December 09, 2000 04:21 AM         
The toy works, your laptop just doesn't like to play with it...

You can be pretty sure there's nothing Voodoo in your laptop - I don't think there's such a thing as a mobile Voodoo chipset.

IP:

synack
posted December 09, 2000 06:53 AM         
Right you are, the toy works!

I loaded TM on the family Dell, and it works like a champ, with all options maxed out. I would have liked to have had it on my laptop, but I'm not complaining.

I've been playing on the Domino server with some AI tanks for quite awhile this morning, with a great playing experience.

I had no idea how terrific this game would look on a decent PC.

1.5 rocks!

I'll be seeing you all ... soon!

IP:

Hawk
posted December 09, 2000 08:00 AM            
Dizamn, that was a fun round on Domino, hit the frag limit in the first ten minutes of the match

Saw you for a few minutes, Synack, but you looked pretty laggy...

------------------
Jedi Master Hawk
The L33t Side Of The Force

IP:

synack
posted December 09, 2000 09:50 AM         
yeah ... I turned down my frame rate, but when I came back, you were gone.

Cell showed up, and we played a few games.

JL was there towards the end of my stay.

My ISP really stinks. Periodically, I get blown off. Sometimes my PC locks up during TM, and I have to reboot.

All things considered, having a great time!

IP: