|
Author Topic:   Clan battle statistics JAVA program
swisher
posted December 08, 2000 01:32 PM            
As a contribution to the clan community, I plan on writitng a JAVA applet to keep score of our clan battles. In a nutshell:

Whoever is running the server will turn on logging.

The output log will be sent as an email attachment to me (or whoever).

I will place the text into one HTML document, along with param= name/value pairs for clan insignia (BLW, TC, DMX, GH, etc.), player names, and most likely fragging messages (junked, fragged, etc.).

I'll have anothjer HTML page that will reference an applet that will read in a single param (the URL of the log data page) and then read in the alternate HTML page containing only the log data.

I'll parse out the log data using the PARAM data and then summarize the results. Non-clan players will be excluded?

This is a rough spec, but it will work. Reading the data in as an URL will keep Java withing his "sandbox," thus simplifying the security issues Java can casue.

We can probably have a running link of clan battles, and the results summarized on a central web page.

Please comment on the specs thus far.

I can't guarentee when I'll get to it, but I will commit to within 6 months. As long as we save all of the logs from any clan battles between now and the time I get it written, we'll be okay.

Swisher[BWL/mg]

IP:

Dreamer
posted December 08, 2000 04:29 PM         
Way to go, man.

IP:

peeet
posted December 08, 2000 05:12 PM         
that's such a cool idea!

i'm just wondering how pro-active server ops will have to be... i suppose they'll have to manually email the logs? and restart the server every once in a while, as the log file gets really big?

IP:

swisher
posted December 08, 2000 05:23 PM            
Yeah -- that's going to be problematic. Definately unrealistic to think that a dedicated server (like Federated, NGI, etc.) would enable logging just for us and only when we're doing official clan battles.

A clan member will most likely have to host "official," planned clan battles. I'll soon have DSL again. I'm not sure of the upload bandwidth, though.

I can host soon (early January). Perhaps the log should be displayed on a site (even without my applet) to begin with, just for fun-and-yucks.

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted December 08, 2000 07:53 PM            
Yeah - but we may be able to get someone such as Homelan to host clan battles if the game gets going good enough...then logging can be enabled for such games.

Great idea - I'll talk over possibilities with Tom probably...

IP:

swisher
posted December 09, 2000 06:13 PM            
I've been thinking some more on the specs. I'll make it more open ended, where a general start-up page will let you specify the url of the log file. This way, anyone who has the ability to upload a log file can use the applet to compute scores/rankings, etc.

I wonder if Q3, etc., users already have this type of applet written. I could perhaps re-use thier code.

Well, as ideas come, I'll make note of them here. Then, I simply print this page as my specs.

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted December 09, 2000 06:50 PM            
The only problem I see is that log files get VERY large with level initiation data. Other than that I see no problem...

IP:

swisher
posted December 29, 2000 08:49 AM            
Still making spec notes.

I'll have the logs daisy-chained together by keywords at the bottom of each log pointing to the next log. This will allow us to keep a running total of scores and to perhaps factor in experience level.

There is a game called ClusterBall that has an awesome scoring system. The algorithm is a closely guarded secret, however.

By the way, my DSL is up and running again, so the potential exists for me to host a clan battle. My connection is only 279 up, though, so this is minimal for Tread Marks' requirements.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted December 29, 2000 02:07 PM            
Just or the record it is "DNX".Short for dianetics.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted December 29, 2000 03:03 PM            
Hey this is off subject but i had this tournoment program lying on my comp and maybe somebody else out there wants it http://goldenants.homestead.com/files/Tournoment.ZIP help yourselves

------------------
<:) Can't forget those smileys wearing Dunce Caps at the Bottem Can we <:)

IP:

swisher
posted December 29, 2000 04:03 PM            
GoldAnt, The link is broken. I get to the first one fine, but thedownload link is broke.

------------------
BWL/MG

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted December 29, 2000 10:42 PM            
Sorry its broken if u want it still i can e mail it to u

------------------
<:) Can't forget those smileys wearing Dunce Caps at the Bottem Can we <:)

IP:

swisher
posted December 31, 2000 01:29 AM            
No, but thank you.

IP: