|
Author Topic:   Server Patch Released!
Random Chaos LDA
posted December 05, 2000 10:31 AM            
We have released a temporary server patch:

A bug in our localization code has been found that will cause servers (this included both Dedicated Servers and machines running with Allow Joins turned on) to crash when one of the follow events occurs during a network game:

1. A player changes teams
2. A player changes his name
3. A player changes his tank
4. A player changes his byte rate

This will also happen when a player joins a dedicated server that has team play enabled (Caused by #1 above).

The fix is to replace a text file with one that skips some text that would normally be added by the executable at run-time. Doing this will keep the software from crashing, but also means that the players names will be replaced with the string <temp>. The file located at:

<Tread Marks Directory>\Local\English\Lines.TXT
needs to be replaced.

We realize this is a far from perfect, and have a code change in testing now that fixes the problem. We will be releasing a patch in the near future to correct the problem.

------------------
Random Chaos
Longbow Digital Arts
neym@longbowdigitalarts.com
------------------
Admin for theTerrain Deformation Site, Terrain Deformation Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos and the Mining Guild

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted December 05, 2000 03:55 PM            
when i ran a server for version 1.5 and tried to join in the game it gave me an error message but then I uninstalled treadmarks and reinstalled it and everything worked fine, could this be the same problem; JL was the one who told me how to fix the problem.

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted December 05, 2000 04:10 PM            
It is the same problem. JL was the first person to report it to us. Team mode kills the server as well as any tank/player/team changes in game without this fix. Its not a full patch, expect one to be released shortly.

------------------
Random Chaos
Longbow Digital Arts
neym@longbowdigitalarts.com
------------------
Admin for theTerrain Deformation Site, Terrain Deformation Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos and the Mining Guild

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted December 07, 2000 03:00 AM            
the patch doesn't seem to work, when i try to run a teamplay server i still get a big fat error

IP:

JL
posted December 07, 2000 07:25 AM            
The best way to install the patch is to delete the file lines.TXT, located in the Tread Marks 1.5\Local\English folder. extract the patch to the desktop then copy or move the new lines.TXT file to replace the one you deleted. Or just make sure you see the lines
Player <temp> changed their vehicle to <temp>
Player <temp> changed their name to <temp>
Your Byte Rate has been set to <temp>

In the lines.TXT file.
In those lines you should see <temp> not %s.

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted December 07, 2000 08:38 AM            
JL is correct - that is what the result should be and the location should be. I'm going to confirm that the zip should work correctly today. It is possible I made an error with the directory structure in it which would cause it to install improperly. If I did I'll upload a new version that is correct but at this time I believe the file should work.

--RC

IP: