|
Author Topic:   crash and burn
synack
posted November 24, 2000 05:08 PM         
Am I alone with this problem?

I'm no neophyte when it comes to the 'net, so I understand that there are *many* issues that come into play.

But I can't tell you how many times I've connected (with a 56k modem on my 300mHz laptop), started an online TM session, only to have it freeze repeatedly for 30-60 seconds at a time, then bounce me aaaaaaalllllllll over the (@#$(#@ map a few times, before finally causing (?) a Windows fatal exception, and a reboot before I can go a step further. This is with the 1.0.1 demo version.

I'm just wondering if it's my PC, the demo version, the server to which I'm connected, add a dose of typical Internet lag during congested times-of-day, and a jigger of my ISP playing "It's MY line anyway!!"

Anyone else have similar experiences, or am I an island?

Other than that, life is grand! Stuffed myself this Thanksgiving. *burp* :-)

Yes, please, I'll have another beer.

[This message has been edited by synack (edited November 24, 2000).]

IP:

synack
posted November 24, 2000 05:19 PM         
SuperUnknown, you were there at the same time, as was Herm.

What was your experience Friday late afternoon (EST)?

IP:

swisher
posted November 24, 2000 05:28 PM            
I think it's the 56K conection. I have had DSL for about a year and had no problems.

I am moving and they disconnected my DSL prematurely, so I've been playing dial-up 56K and it is a problem. Same thing you said: freeze, lag, jerk, etc.

I rarely had this problem when playing on my DSL connection.

IP:

synack
posted November 24, 2000 05:31 PM         
*sigh*

so there is hope ...

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 24, 2000 05:50 PM            
What's wrong now?
Don't you live where you can get DSL?
T2?
T3? (just kidding)
Cable?
You have the life, it took me a while to convince my parents to get a triple 56k hookup, which requires 100 dollars start up and enable three simultaneous connections of your modems, fun fun fun, and I get about 7 kb per second download, ...... i guess it just shows to go yah
But you are sooooooooooo lucky if you don't live in the boone docks like i do, <:P

IP:

synack
posted November 24, 2000 05:57 PM         
Gggrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

I DO live in the boondocks, of New Jersey!!

Up here in the north, we just got indoor plumbing last year!

ISDN and DSL are just strange collections of letters to the (honorable) dairy farmers and corn cultivators in my area.

I'll manage, but you won't see me online for more than a few minutes every 1/2 hour. :=(

REBOOT!

IP:

Kaeto
posted November 24, 2000 09:06 PM            
synack - FYI, almost everyone on this board lives north of you

IP:

A2597
posted November 24, 2000 09:12 PM            
Hmmm, I'm on 36K (Supposedly 56, never even got close to that)
and I have NO problems whatsoever. (Well...unless I'm nuked) I'm also in the boondocks, neaest city is about 45-60min away....
sooo...I don't know. kinda odd. try going to servers with the lowest ping.

------------------
--===BOOM===--

IP:

Kaeto
posted November 24, 2000 09:20 PM            
I used to play on a 24000bps connection

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted November 24, 2000 09:23 PM            
Synack - my guess would be some conflict between the video card and the modem...but don't hold me on it...

IP:

synack
posted November 25, 2000 08:50 AM         
Kaeto, I was only referring to the north, as in northern-most jersey - the least populated section of the state, and the last to receive the benefits of technological advances. There isn't enough money in it yet for the providers to offer ISDN and DSL in my area. Heck - my pager and cell phones are hardly reachable where I live, although that's not entirely a bad thing. :-)

IP:

synack
posted November 25, 2000 08:55 AM         
RC, the question would be - how to troubleshoot something like that. The problem is intermittent. Sometimes I sail along just fine. Then the action will freeze for awhile and the game will resume. Sometimes play becomes herky-jerky, which I imagine may be lag-related. I should try tracerouting the server I'm playing. I don't know how many hops I'm dealing with either. I'm also going to try playing with the frame rate. I think I'm set at 5k right now.

We'll see ...

IP:

synack
posted November 25, 2000 09:12 AM         
Hmmmm .... I'm getting 14 hops to ngint3.ngi.it [194.177.103.42]

Would a few of you mind doing me a favor and doing a tracert to 194.177.103.42 and post how many hops your getting? I'm just curious. Thanks.

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted November 25, 2000 09:35 AM            
Synack - where are you located? NGI is in Italy. I would expect that you'd get a fairly decent delay when connecting there and thus high lag if you're either US or Canada...I know that I get quite a bit of lag to there...

IP:

synack
posted November 25, 2000 10:45 AM         
Yes, I'd noticed it was in Italy, and yet it typically has the shortest ping of the servers listed. I hope I can find a closer server in the future.

I'm in New Jersey. My first 8 or 9 hops average around 100ms, as I bounce around the NY-metro area routers. As soon as I jump over the pond, I start averaging 200ms per hop.

How many hops are you folks getting? Maybe my Mom-and-Pop ISP is too remotely connected for consistent TM gameplay.

IP:

Hawk
posted November 25, 2000 12:23 PM            
18 hops from southern NH on a MediaOne cable INET connection...connection ping maxes at 125ms on the 18th hop

First hop 2ms
Fourth hop, 25ms
11th, 100
Goes all the way up to 200 at one point, then levels out at 120MS

I love my cable internet connection

------------------
Jedi Master Hawk
The L33t Side Of The Force

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted November 25, 2000 05:27 PM            
I've always had those little screen freezes when their are 8 or more players.I have to use my 56k so I can have a decent ping.I'm pretty sure its just plain old lag,although it is quite frustrating when your lined up for a shot,the screen freezes,then your dead once it comes back;( As for the fatal exeption error,I would check my video card drivers and get the newest patch or reinstall the one you have.9 times out of 10,its drivers that cause that blue screen.If anything,maybe the driver data has become corrupt.

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited November 25, 2000).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted November 25, 2000 05:45 PM            
194.177.103.42 is 16 hops away.I live in Nashville,TN.That could explain the slowness for me.I go through a local ISP.

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited November 25, 2000).]

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted November 25, 2000 06:21 PM            
That IP is 27 hops away and I am getting betweem 1000ms and 3000ms pings on it...gotta be the transatlantic connection...I'm near Washington, DC on a fairly large multi-state ISP.

IP:

synack
posted November 25, 2000 08:00 PM         
thanks for the replies.

I'll post my update under a new subject.

IP:

Karldar
posted November 25, 2000 11:32 PM            
Wow, Super, I had no idea you were so close to me geographically-I live in the 'boro. That's kinda cool.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted November 26, 2000 04:28 PM            
Actually,I live in Clarksville.I always say i'm from Nashville because its the closest city.But anyway its cool that we live less than 100 miles apart.Kind of like one time,when i was in NYC, and shared a cab with somebody that was was from the same town I was.

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 26, 2000 05:22 PM            
Kaetey, i looked at your post on a 24000 bps connection, the lower case 'b' would technically mean bits so that really you have about a 3000 Bytes per second according to your statement... you have a 3K connection?

I like being critical, the rewards... amusement and egotism galore, hahahah

IP: