|
Author Topic:   Version Differences
Vlad
posted November 22, 2000 07:16 PM            
Hmmm... Been a while since I've posted, but I took a look through the older topics, yet couldn't find an answer to my question..

What are the differences going to be between the current version of Treadmarks (the good old mail-order one) and the new store-based one?

Not only that, but I was also curious what the plans are for people who already own the game? Is there going to be a patch, or are we going to have to buy the new version?

Oh, I was also wondering if there was an mIRC channel that people around here gather in.. I'm planning on getting back into online TreadMarks playing soon. Going to be getting DSL on the 1st. It'll be SO nice not having to deal with the waggling-turret syndrome any more.. :-)

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 22, 2000 08:46 PM            
the chat button on the server screen ACTUALLY sends you to an IRC-ish server in which you can create new channels and stuff by typing
quote:
/join <name of channel which you create or another person's channel>

you may need to use a '\' instead of the other slash, i forget which is used, but there is a certain one for commands

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted November 23, 2000 12:34 AM            
Major changes in V1.5:
Updated HUD (see the graphics at http://www.treadmarks.com ), new GUI, training maps, some alterations to weapons and tank entities (see the Changes FAQ), and new camera view modes. I think I got them all...

------------------
Random Chaos
Longbow Digital Arts
neym@longbowdigitalarts.com
------------------
Admin for theTerrain Deformation Site, Terrain Deformation Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos and the Mining Guild

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted November 23, 2000 01:22 PM            
and GUI is what again?

IP:

Vlad
posted November 23, 2000 01:22 PM            
Ick... Perhaps I'm overreacting a bit, but guidance on THAT many weapons?? I know it says minimal, but that just seems wrong. Guidance on the regular gun? Blech. I mean, part of the fun of the game is nailing cool regular gun shots from afar.. It just seems that having any sort of guidance on those shots is cheesy.

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted November 23, 2000 02:17 PM            
When I say Minimal on that FAQ I mean if you don't aim you won't hit...but there is slight guidence to make up for terrain varriation, etc. Those weapons are not really any easier to use at short range...the biggest effect comes at long range - thus the GAU is a bit more powerful a sniping weapon.

The Concussion is quite a bit more powerful - it has right about the guidence of an MRL - thus it is now a quite powerful weapon that almost anyone can use (vs before only the best players could preform wonders with it).

The RGrenades are now a LOT more powerful. You will nearly always hit and the grenades themselves sometimes go dancing while chasing a tank. (Take my Sheep mines, give them the inertia of an RGren, and take the time-to-live of the RGren -- and you've got the new RGrenades...)

I've been playing with the modified weapons for the past couple weeks (and now on a good vid card...but no working sound card for the past day or so) and except the RGrenades and Concussion Missiles there are no real noticable changes in weapon performance.

------------------
Random Chaos
Longbow Digital Arts
neym@longbowdigitalarts.com
------------------
Admin for theTerrain Deformation Site, Terrain Deformation Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos and the Mining Guild

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 23, 2000 02:42 PM            
I don't like that, the faster a fight is over, the more it seems to dull the game for me. I HATE one shot kills because of that, and i don't like cruises, i think that campers get enough of a lesson from losing battle tactics from just sitting around all day trying to get good weapons, they can just harvest things for the good REAL players. I don't like anything to be too much of a killer, if the grenades can kill with half or 3 fourths of a regular clip, it think it is too much. The more the challenge, the more the entertainment. Why is it that you want to make it that easy, it can help the newbies a little, but i hope you can change the entities from a configuration file so that they are tougher to use, otherwise i'm going to have problems. I prefer a heated battle that doesn't consist of best weapon wins, but best player wins... although we should have odds and ends, like the shadow, but i loved it when you can take any weapon, and beat the living daylights out of someone even if they have a nuke, now it seems that if you get something with rapid fire, you can just aim at a crowd and end a level realy quick if you have enough ammo. But that's just my 2 cents... and i'd like to experiment with the new weaps as soon as possible. Remember, Change is good, but let's not be hasty.

On the other hand, i'll support this too:
It helps new people get a feel for how a weapon can really work, but ONLY if you take out the tracking and extra power do you really start to learn. I like super weapons, they let you whoop up on other people who are jerks, JUST MAKE THE WEAPONS have large splash damage and have ZERO hit delay so you can easily hurt yourself if you are just being a dummy. Innovation is always good let's see why with history, everyone's favorite subject:
China had been a terrific country around the B.C. years, it had technological advances of all sorts, that made it an undefeatable people in many way, but then came along confucius, who changed that. He told everyone to worship learning and ancestors, always practicing tradition. China slurped that philosophy right up and held it in tight, making themselves obstinate and ethnocentric. Come right along, the British started giving them opium, and they loved it, and Britain became very rich since China bought it at crazy prices that of which almost destroyed China. But, when China saw that opium was bad, they got all angry and embargoed the imports, and of course, because of Confucianism, China was verty oldfashioned with nothing new or special, and the Brits basically squished them and ruled China for a while. China had more numbers, age, and land than Britain, but because of tradition RULING everything, they crumbled completely because of it.

Tread Marks is something different, and it should always be different, just as special as Linux or cookie dough... And i not only warn you of changing but i'll tell you that change is good. It's all part of the russian roulette we call entrepreneurship. So, i'll go ahead and admit, just as much as i disagree with changing, what do i know???
*starts pigging out on Cookie dough to start thanks giving traditions, hehehe*

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 23, 2000 02:45 PM            
Shucks, now i sound smart, i need to make some insane posts now...

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 23, 2000 07:20 PM            
actually, it's probably my luck that i sound dumb, and I only think i seemed to be smart in the last posts, :P

IP: