|
Author Topic:   If I were buying a new PC JUST for TM ...
synack
posted November 20, 2000 09:46 AM         
Hi all!

First-time poster, long time BB lurker and archive-reader.

I've been playing the v1.0.1 demo since I first discovered it this past summer, and I was instantly hooked! I occasionally play online, (saw Dudy once!) but usually get frustrated by an ISP that hiccups whenever the wind blows! I'm also limited by my 300 mhz laptop, and a 56k modem. (We only recently got indoor-plumbing up here in the sticks, so I'm not holding my breath for DSL ;-)

So ... if I were going to buy a new PC, and I REALLY REALLY wanted it to make TM sing, are there any suggestions for what PC hw/sw config would be best?

thanks!

synack

IP:

Kaeto
posted November 20, 2000 10:19 AM            
CPU :
Anything 700+mhz is good. (A Duron would be a good choice)
Memory :
64 megs is fine, but 128 would probably help a bit.
Video :
GeForce 2 MX
GeForce 2 GTS
ATI Radeon 32 DDR
ATI Radeon 64
Voodoo 5 5500 (do NOT get one, it's a POS, but it would run TM pretty well)
HD :
Western Digital Expert line (any of 'em)
IBM 75GXP (any of 'em)

If I were going to do it for myself, I'd get this :
Duron 700 (I'd O/C it to 1ghz+)
Asus A7V
256mb PC133 (Get good stuff from mushkin or crucial if you can, it's expensive but GOOD)
ATI Radeon 64 (best card out there - about as fast as the GeForce 2 GTS, and it has more features)
IBM 75 GXP 75 gig (you WILL use it all)

IP:

A2597
posted November 20, 2000 10:49 AM            
And me on a lowly 350mhz PII MMX,
with 98MB ram, 56K (In the boondocks)
and I still do good! (EVEN ONLINE!)

17 kills in the last six minuets of a match isn't bad for me...

------------------
--===BOOM===--

IP:

synack
posted November 20, 2000 02:28 PM         
Thanks, Kaeto. I appreciate the detail!

Now I need to figure out what some of those things are. I never needed the stuff before I found TM

So ... it's INTERNET RESEARCH TIME!!

IP:

Dreamer
posted November 20, 2000 03:03 PM         
I did, as a matter of fact, buy a deck for which TM was the main reason... (Well, my VRML exploits, really, but then again... )
My config:
T-Bird 800
Asus A7V
Elsa Gladiac
256 Megs of NN ram
Maxtor 7200/30/U100 disk.
Oh, and a Pioneer 16/40 DVD.
One thing tho: I cannot recommend the Socket A golden orb variant: WAY too loud (~30dB)

And I have to say: Not bad, not bad.... Well, for a system with a 150$ monitor, that is.

IP:

Kaeto
posted November 20, 2000 03:06 PM            
Wierdo Germans - Box, yes; Rig, maybe; Deck, no.

And Dreamer - you must have a messed up Gorb - it shouldn't be that loud...

[This message has been edited by Kaeto (edited November 20, 2000).]

IP:

synack
posted November 20, 2000 06:08 PM         
weirdo Germans? I guess that includes me! I'm American born, but my roots are in Deutschland!

Wie gehts, Trumer? Ich habe Familie in Deutschland, das ich nie getroffen habe. Ich
hoffe, eines Tages zu besuchen. Mein Traum ist Oktoberfest in Mnchen. Ich liebe die Musik,
das Bier, das Tanzen, das Bier, den Spa, das Bier, die Nahrung, das Bier und das Bier!
Erwhnte ich, da ich das Bier liebe?

I hope that was understandable. I used babelfish for the translation. (I'm out of practice after studying German for 4 years, a long, long time ago.)

IP:

Kaeto
posted November 20, 2000 07:41 PM            
Well, we have 2 German speakers here - Hawk and Dreamer...

IP:

Efflixi
posted November 21, 2000 03:23 PM            
How gehts, dreamers? I have family in Germany, which I never met. I hope to visit a daily. My dream is Octoberfest in Munich. I love the music, the beer, a dancing, the beer, the fun, the beer, the food, the beer and the beer! Did I mention that I the beer dear?

Thats what babelfish threw back at me. hehe, u like beer eh?

IP:

synack
posted November 21, 2000 05:05 PM         
lol ... yeh, I like beer. Jack Daniels too. Sometimes beer AND JD. :-)

It's always funny to translate with Babelfish from one language to another, and then go back again to the original language. It NEVER comes out right! :-)

Plus I only used part of the babelfish translation, inserting some of my own recollections about casual phrases, like "Wie gehts" which does translate literally into "how goes" but is understood in Germany to mean, "waazzzzuuuuuuuppppppp???" ;-)

IP:

Dreamer
posted November 21, 2000 06:39 PM         
deck.

IP:

Kaeto
posted November 21, 2000 07:06 PM            
Dork :P

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted November 21, 2000 10:32 PM            
I run a PIII 750,256 ram,Voodoo 5 AGP,21" monitor....blah,blah,blah.Everything is great but the network.I have a Direcpc satellite modem.It uploads through my 56k,but downloads
through the satellite dish at 400kbs+.The problem is the time it takes data to be recieved.By the time it goes through the server,bounces of the satellite in orbit,and then to my reciever;I have about 600-1000ms ping.So I have to disable it and run off my modem to play,which really sucks.Those little lag times in the game,when the screen freezes,really hurts

IP:

Cell
posted November 21, 2000 11:54 PM         
Damn, I never thought of the lag time associated with sattellite modem.

I guess the distance the signal has to travel on a land line, and then be re-transmitted to your receiver would significantly add to the ping time, in spite of the higher bandwidth.

That really stinks! I was looking at getting that instead of cable or DSL, but not anymore.

IP:

synack
posted November 22, 2000 06:22 AM         
I think I've just been dissed

IP:

Cell
posted November 22, 2000 07:45 AM         
As in "Du bist dissed."?

IP:

synack
posted November 22, 2000 07:55 AM         
eggzactly!

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 22, 2000 08:23 PM            
Why not just go invest in some stock enough to buy an Octane 2 computer at SGI.com

BTW, even the best hardware won't make you perfect, i suggest LIMITING yourself until you can play with a 28k connection with 20 hp in a liquid falcon tank using only your turret or a drill..... it's sure to make you ready for when you get a better cpu "as is my case with that &!=O
-0_0{\&^~& graphix card i had... i made me kinda crazy.

IP: