|
Author Topic:   New? weapon idea
Karldar
posted November 16, 2000 11:45 PM            
Okay, I was listening to MDFMK in my car on the way to work and the song "Torpedoes" came on. I was thinkin' 'bout TM(as usual) and when I checked the back of the CD case to see what the name of the song was, an idea hit me. I don't have the skillz for it, but how about a weapon that's basically a land torpedo? It would burrow beneath the terrain(like a groundhog or somethin') and go off under the nearest target. I thought it would be cool to be able to actually see the trail it leaves as it burrows too. Kind of like seeing a nuke comin' for you, only underground. Whatta ya think? Besides that I'm crazy.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted November 17, 2000 12:06 AM            
I've been trying to get LDA to change the coding of TM for over a year now to allow some projectiles to go underground before exploding (more the Scorched Earch type methodology ). I've yet to get them to commit to doing it...

Great idea Karldar...but right now TM doesn't support that type of weapon (believe me, I've tried )

--RC

IP:

Karldar
posted November 17, 2000 05:02 AM            
Doh! Yeah, I guess I shoulda realized that all the weapons that explode do so whether they contact tanks or the terrain. Darn! I also should've realized that MG members would've already thought of the idea. I'm no programmer, but I would support a change in the code as long as it didn't alter the game too much, RC. Anyhoo, thx for crushing my dreams

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

peeet
posted November 17, 2000 08:27 AM         
more changes that really should be made are:

destructible entities (fortress doors & walls, bridges, sculptures, etc.). this may be more possible now, with the way the AI's act on the training map...?

some way to allow tanks to drive over meshes(vertical collision detection?), like bridges, ramps, ski-jumps, loop-the loops... roller coaster tracks!

oh jeez - don't forget CTF! i know Jim wanted to do a CTF patch... how's it going on that front?

and how's you new vid card, RC?

------------------
that's "peeeto" to you! :P

IP:

Kaeto
posted November 17, 2000 08:39 AM            
Well, there is a way to make nice sub-terranian mining weapons that SHOULD work, I've never done it, but I'll check it out soon... (actually, there's one that I'm 99% postive will work)

edit - RC's new video card is putting the smack down on the power supply in his system, so he's gotta switch it and all that other bad stuff...

[This message has been edited by Kaeto (edited November 17, 2000).]

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted November 17, 2000 08:47 AM            
Yeah...power supply problems...resulting it:

CD-Rom drive randomly spinning down when trying to read
CPU Timming Errors
Modem Freezes
Video Card Freezing when entering 3d modes

Going to grab a power supply off a different computer this weekend...it shoult be 75-125 watts more than the one in the system currently...

- - - - - -

Karldar: I'll be talking with Jim about potential expansions to TM and its future this weekend probably...I don't know what we will see but I'll definately try to get TM expanded in terms of those items you listed...they are all quite useful for moders and game design...

------------------
Random Chaos
Longbow Digital Arts
neym@longbowdigitalarts.com
------------------
Admin for theTerrain Deformation Site, Terrain Deformation Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos and the Mining Guild

IP:

A2597
posted November 17, 2000 01:57 PM            
Well, One way to do it is to make the Ramdrill projectile move, (I've done this) ahead, and it makes a crater the intire way. (Trench digging) but make it have a NEGITIVE crater, so it LOOKS like it's under ground, and spawn a dirt ball like projectile once it hits it's target, pushing them up!
prety easy.

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 17, 2000 05:07 PM            
Actaually, if you just shot a projectile with a dirtball smoke trail that exploded with a spewer that launched an invisible projectile that has a brownish smoke trail, you could get the idea of a torpedo on land VERY well, especially if you use the smoke trail to deliver small dirtballs that left a trail...

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 17, 2000 05:13 PM            
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH... make a nuclear torpedo, it looks JUST like a ramdrill on your tank, but then the drill detatches, bounces ONCE on the ground or else is launched up, and then when it hits the ground, poof, it disappears into the ground, leaving a trail as it crawls along the ground, and then, KaBooooooom... heheheh, that'd be great, specially when someone is on another side of a hill, and he has NO idea why that eerie drill sound keeps getting closer even though your tank is running AWAY rapidly! heheheheh, it is easily server friendly and ultra-evil, i'd LOVE it, heheheheheh

IP:

Karldar
posted November 23, 2000 08:26 PM            
I was just thinkin': how about callin' the torpedo a landshark? It could even have a fin that sticks out of the ground.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 24, 2000 08:42 AM            
That is a lot better actually, mainly because it is original, and if you know me, everything is pretty much original when you summarize it, i even take the unoriginal and make it original, but that's me, and my 2 cents, what do you think, Kaet?

IP:

Kaeto
posted November 24, 2000 09:36 AM            
Me? I think there's an O in my name

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 24, 2000 11:13 AM            
WHAT?
But, that's no fun, i like to be creative with names, how does Kaetie sound?
Or |<43+13+

oooooh, this is fun, Maybe Kaetington

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted November 24, 2000 11:29 AM            
Good thing he didn't reverse the T and the E too

IP:

Kaeto
posted November 24, 2000 11:41 AM            
Maybe because I'm a GUY, and I'm not gay?

Nah, I'm just havin' fun with ya...

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 24, 2000 06:40 PM            
Maybe i could call you taetey?

IP: