|
Author Topic:   The 140GB CD
Dudymas
posted November 10, 2000 05:17 PM            
Well, this is something that makes you go *DOH* 'Why didn't i think of that?'
http://www.wirednews.com/news/technology/0,1282,40053,00.html
Oh well, everyone, go to etrade and find out how to invest in this research, and if it goes through, i'll guarantee we'll all be millionares and be able to give a free subscription of DSL to everyone who gets Tread Marks... I know i should be posting stuff about TM here, but a know that a few of you may not go to www.slashdot.com and i would like a good discussion on this here.

Could anyone imagine what kind of stuff you can do with this if you could make a Rewritable flourecent disk... wowsers, i bet they have slow write speed for it, but oh well, still fun... anyhoo, Don't worry LDA, i don't post too much stuff out of main topic, this is just too much fun for me, since i could possible express how holy and sacred cookie dough is in ASCII format text files on a disk with 140 Gigabytes of data.

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted November 10, 2000 06:04 PM            
It said it has a 1GB/sec read speed...the write speed's gotta be fast too...

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 10, 2000 06:23 PM            
That's still faster than tape drives and flexible enough that i'm very happy, heheheh

BTW, another web-site for it that shows the things are not going to need any expensive readers and the write drives are about 500 or more (because they use modified DVD recording drives)

IP:

Kaeto
posted November 10, 2000 08:51 PM            
Two words : Marketing Bull

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 10, 2000 10:15 PM            
If they have all logical facts... things can flouresce, and a laser can bring about well defined flourescence, and a blue laser can be soooo accurate as to quadruple the reading resolution, i believe that too... they have good pictures of the hardware and media itself... they have already made statements that are very bold for a company that should BS anyone, and i have an 18 page summary of the technology that explains the processes very well... i have not just jumped into this like some fool, they have well enough evidence to prove their abilities... if that is your opinion, so be it, but i really think you should hope for the best, it's about time someone did make a big innovation, and i have no reason to start being pesimist. Anyone else have views, we're here to discuss and i'm glad Kaeto has a good opinion, since a lot of people do BS, but this shouldn't be the case

[This message has been edited by Dudymas (edited November 10, 2000).]

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 10, 2000 10:21 PM            
Woah, RC, you're an administrator, cool, you lucky bum... but oh well, i'm no manager, and you ought to know that by now... BTW, these drives are supposed to be able to REWRITE, now that's freaky... but the flourecent stuff is a dye that actually looses its flouresence after being heated, which is very logical to say since proteins actually loose shape and their polypeptide bonds break apart if you heat thim (thusly why you can die of heat stroke, your proteins actaully flat out stop working) and then the thing SOMEHOW (the iffy part here folks) is reactivated by another light... and even an LED light is capable of making the correct wave length of light photons to rewrite. That prolly means that these disks can't be exposed to light, but that i'm partially unsure about... oh well, more when i can read the rest of the whitesheets (this is fun, )

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted November 10, 2000 11:16 PM            
I have to agree - I am VERY skeptical about this product...I'd have to see corroborating info from another company. The idea seems sound but the actual details seem a bit marketing related rather than informative.
--------------
Speaking of neat things, take a look here:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/488525.asp?0na=22017F2-

IBM's come out with a new monitor 10 years ahead of schedule. It's not going to be available to the public for at least several years but its still neat

IP:

Kaeto
posted November 11, 2000 09:31 AM            
Dudy - FMD is nothing new, and this company isn't the only one working on it. Trust me, FMD may be the disks of the future, but don't expect to see any consumer-level products for at least five years, and they won't be widespread until probably 10 years from now...

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 11, 2000 01:56 PM            
Well, it's a given that they'll probably turn into the next Microsoft if they can test it and develop it into something that rakes in a lot of dough... they're obviously going to try to over-do it, and i don't believe that we'll be seeing these things soon anyways, since they'll get the stuff into position where you can only get the drives and disks from them, although they are pretty open about how the make, write to, erase, and read the disks almost to the point you could make them, except they don't describe the chemical formula for the dyes. I am trying to say that i am really excited about it and that i believe what they say, but they'll monopolize and rule everything if they can get the FMD's to be patented and made only by them. That will take a while since a lot of DVD drives are out and there will be a race to pantenting rights... i only support what their making, not the company :P

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 12, 2000 02:03 PM            
Kaeto probably saw this coming, but for anyone who's interested in an interesting Tread Marks gun assignment, go here: http://electrogravity.hypermart.net/railgun/index.html

just don't make the real things or test them out unless you want REAL trouble from officials... of course, if you used one on M$ it would be for the good of the country, and probly you could get away with it...

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 12, 2000 03:22 PM            
Just realized, that's what the mass driver gun is... oh well, still fun to think about what we could make along that line, :P

IP: