This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   TM virtual tank salon announcement:
Dreamer
posted November 07, 2000 11:11 AM         
My site is now accesible via http://www.tmvr.de
(Yup, it's still in English, though I'm working on a bilingual version.)
Happy thoughts go to you all.

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted November 07, 2000 04:58 PM            
gotcha...I'll have to change the link on my site again probably...and I just finally got it up!

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for theTerrain Deformation Site / Forum admin for Terrain Deformation Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos / Member of the Mining Guild
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Dreamer
posted November 08, 2000 11:22 AM         
don't get me wrong... the .de.vu urls will stay up, but I thought it was time to get a sensible url and 4 letters seemed short enough, though I do fear that people might be turned away by the ".de". Darn. But .com and .net are way too expensive.

IP:

Kaeto
posted November 08, 2000 11:28 AM            
Not necessarily, Dreamer. www.nethack.de is an enormously popular site...

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted November 08, 2000 11:38 AM            
Dreamer - its more dependent on how well its linked. I've got you on my site and my site's now got a counter back up and is now linked directly from LDA's page. What is more likely to keep hits down is the VR part - not everyone has a VR browser.

Oh - and Dreamer - the inital release of TM will be in US, UK, and Germany - so you're .de extenstion shouldn't be much of a deterent to 33% of the release zone

------------------
Random Chaos
Longbow Digital Arts
neym@longbowdigitalarts.com
------------------
Admin for theTerrain Deformation Site, Terrain Deformation Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos and the Mining Guild

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted November 08, 2000 11:54 AM            
Oh - Dreamer - check the link on my site - I don't think it goes to your start page...e-mail me what it should be.

--RC

IP:

Dreamer
posted November 08, 2000 05:42 PM         
Whoah, Admin status for RC? Way cool. Well, link to http://www.tmvr.de - that should do the trick. Yes, I know I should change the page structure, but I don't have enough spare time, sadly.

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted November 08, 2000 06:06 PM            
ok - I'll make the change tomorrow...

PS - on my 33.6 laptop's modem your site takes forever to load...

IP:

Dreamer
posted November 09, 2000 04:10 AM         
What do you expect, doc? That's way over a meg!
Btw... I'm currently looking into multi-user capabilities of VRML - maybe someday soon the tank salon will become a meeting place with 3D chat! (If only I found a webspace provider allowing server-side java apps...)

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted November 09, 2000 10:46 AM            
Hehe - well over a meg - no wonder! A 3d chat...hmm...would the letters be 3d as well? Would you have the text running in colomns behind other text? hehe - how else can we make a completely unusable 3d chat

IP:

Kaeto
posted November 09, 2000 10:57 AM            
There is a 3d telnet client out there - it scrolls the text up the screen star-wars style...

IP:

peeet
posted November 09, 2000 03:49 PM         
heh heh...

there are some VR chatrooms out there that incorporate VRML. users pick or create avatars, and can maneuver to different chat rooms, etc., by navigating through the 3D VRML world. i've only seen examples where the chat text is in it's own little box, like always, though.

man, i can only imagine what online gaming will be like in the future... just think what the graphics will be like in TreadMarks v15.7!...
and instead of typing messages back and forth, we'll be able to converse just like on the phone. that's gonna be really cool!
(i guess they'll come up with voice recognition for bleeping 4-letter words on G-rated servers where swearing isn't allowed)
...hmm, what else?

IP:

Dreamer
posted November 09, 2000 04:22 PM         
peeet, go for battlecomm - real-time voice over the 'net with a low bandwidth. I mentioned it once before, about a year ago, I think, but noone would listen.
Btw, maybe I can implement a TM-style chat.

IP:

Cell
posted November 09, 2000 04:54 PM         
I've seen the battlecom news blurbs, but don't have a clue if it would work in T_M.

I'm not gonna shell out $40 to be the first to find out either!

Would be fun, I could be insulted in more languages, in realtime! Hmm...I could see how many of those Bavarian words I remember and Dreamer could teach me some new ones.

[This message has been edited by Cell (edited November 09, 2000).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted November 09, 2000 07:31 PM            
www.rogerwilco.com - better than battlecom (more firewall friendly, less bandwidth, better control, easier to use)

IP:

Dreamer
posted November 10, 2000 09:25 AM         
1) Battlecomm does work with TM.
2) AFAIK, it's free by now.
3) I hated Space Quest.

IP:

Cell
posted November 10, 2000 05:45 PM         
Thanks Dreamer,I checked them out yesterday but have not had a chance to test them yet.

I started testing Rogerwilco yesterday, and so far it does seem compact, $free, and does not appear to open any ports other than the one assigned to it. So far, so good.

What I didn't like is the way it tries to open a browser window to its homepage during configuration of the microphone. WTF!!The page is a useless javascript "help page" that sends your OS & soundcard details to them. And the software licence itself is about 18 paragraphs,I'm still not sure what I agreed to when i clicked on that.

IP:

Dudymas
posted November 10, 2000 06:31 PM            
i like text better, anyone can talk, but only a true computer user can type really accurately and fast... helps take out those people who aren't l331

IP:

Hawk
posted November 11, 2000 06:47 AM            
Well, Dudy just proved HE's not...it's l337, doofus :P

1 is I, therefore you just said that it weeds out the leel people. Weeds out the little people?

------------------
Jedi Master Hawk
The L33t Side Of The Force

IP:

Dreamer
posted November 23, 2000 03:55 PM         
Well, one more update to this forum before all the new folks rush in:
Firstly, my new main eMail addy is Dreamer@tmvr.de
secondly, I've opened a private forum dedicated for use by the 'old' TM community.
If you feel you belong to that group and want to keep in contact on a forum with less than 10 posts per hour, please mail me for an access password.
For an explanation what this fuss is all about, all beta testers can read it in the Beta TM forum.

IP:

A2597
posted November 23, 2000 04:51 PM            
Hmmm, ever try www.namezero.com ? Thats what I use for www.b5blender.com (My site)
I used a kill banner add for it, so it just links to my site.

------------------
--===BOOM===--

IP:

Dreamer
posted December 07, 2000 08:01 PM         
Just wanted to give you a little preview of what the next ver of my site's architecture is going to look like if my brain has its way...

What do you think, guys?

------------------
BWL][Dreamer, founder of the Black Widow Lance,
Maintenance slave of the virtual TM showroom

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited December 07, 2000).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 07, 2000 08:49 PM            
Awesome.

IP:

swisher
posted December 07, 2000 11:52 PM            
Incredible, Dreamer! Can't wait to do the virtual tour.

IP:

Cell
posted December 08, 2000 06:55 AM         
Nice job! Wish I could do graphics like that.
I even find drawing stick figures is a challenge!

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2