|
Author Topic:   Computer lock ups
SirOvenMitt
posted October 21, 2000 12:27 AM         
After about a hour and a half my computer will freeze when playing tread marks. When this happens there is some buzzing type sound coming out of my speakers. Does anyone know what this is?
My Specs
AMD 800
Asus K7v motherboard
Creative Labs GeForce Annihilator Pro
SB Live sound card
128megs ram and win 98 2nd ed

Hope someone knows how to fix this.

IP:

Cell
posted October 21, 2000 07:38 AM         
That's usually an indication of excessive heat, either of the processor or graphics chip.

You may have to undertake an aggressive cooling solution. Some newer Video cards come with fans attached, but a more effective solution is to get more cool air inside the case by adding an intake fan, and add additional exhaust capacity as well.

Most manufacturer's do a poor job of providing sufficient airflow to reduce case size and manufacturing costs.

Another common occurance is the processor, Video card or memory not being seated well in the slot, and as it heats up and expands, it looses contact with the MB. Check that out as well.

I beleive that motherboard has onboard Thermal diodes as well remote thermal probe connection,fan speed monitoring,CPU usage, etc... so usemotherboard monitor to check it out.

IP:

Dudymas
posted October 21, 2000 01:11 PM            
Cell, do you have icq?

and another thingy, do you have any other neato programs that checl system resources and stuff for free and they work really great?

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted October 21, 2000 01:44 PM            
The first thing I do with any new computer is take off the sides and leave things wide open.

I don't buy into the "air flow path requires a closed box" line of reasoning.

When it gets hot out, you take your jacket off, you don't puff air in through your sleeves.

Jim

IP:

Dudymas
posted October 21, 2000 01:46 PM            
Amen!

IP:

Cell
posted October 21, 2000 02:34 PM         
I agree Jim, that is the most effective solution. Now that my kids are older and the cat re-educated, it's no problem to do that, and the case cover makes a great CD storage rack.

Now if I can just convince the cat that there is nothing living in the printer eating the paper,then things would definitly run smoother.

Sorrry Dudy, I don't have time for ICQ, but if you like Freeware tweaking and optimization programs, then check out Tweak Files and Web Attack.

Another nice program for Paranoids,Day Traders or Hax0rs, is Multiproxy, which routes all your Browser traffic through multiple random anonymous proxy servers, making tracing the source of a request difficult to track.

[This message has been edited by Cell (edited October 24, 2000).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 21, 2000 02:40 PM            
I follow a similar strategy : Rip all the panels off the back of the case. Cools yer PCI cards down a lot, and helps keep that GF2 from burnin' up your network card

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted October 21, 2000 02:47 PM            
hmmm...It sounds like someone should be designing a mesh case, at least for cat owners

Jim

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 21, 2000 03:13 PM            
Why bother with a case at all? Just throw the stuff on top of your desk! I've seen it done before, and it worked rather well...

IP:

Dudymas
posted October 22, 2000 01:39 AM            
thnx Cell,

i'm verty happy now, and i'm verty much chanting the words bed, goodnight!

IP:

Saint_Proverbius@Ni!
posted October 22, 2000 10:57 PM            
quote:
The first thing I do with any new computer is take off the sides and leave things wide open.
I don't buy into the "air flow path requires a closed box" line of reasoning.

When it gets hot out, you take your jacket off, you don't puff air in through your sleeves

That's because you don't understand convective heat transfer. The more air you can get flowing passed a physical body with excess heat, the higher the rate of cooling on that body. You open up that case, you're not getting near the mass flow rate through that case you would with the case on.

The only times I'd take the case off my computer is if it were off, or if I had a box fan to put next to it.

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted October 23, 2000 01:25 AM            
Actually it's because I do understand convective heat transfer that I don't buy into the focused air flow buzz.

Radiant heat transfer, capacity to store heat and temperature gradients are where it's at.

Slower, larger volumes, independent of extra fans, seem more reliable in my book.

It could be that companies just want to sell fans, but more likely, it's just that I live in a cold climate.

Jim

IP:

Dreamer
posted October 23, 2000 07:45 AM         
Look at the new PowerMac... Convection cooling works pretty well, or so it seems....

But an open case should still be preferred over a badly designed one in terms of heat dissipation.

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 23, 2000 08:34 AM            
I happen to run a temp monitor dang near all the time my computer is on, and let me tell you, having the side of the case on does nothing but make my mobo hot. It does keep little kids out of my computer, though

IP:

SirOvenMitt
posted October 23, 2000 11:28 AM         
Well I went for the sides of and a large box fan blowing into it. This seems to have fixed the problem. I have three other computers in the same room and boy does it get hot in there. In the middle of winter it will still be like 80 degs in the room. Think Im going to need more box fans.

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted October 23, 2000 11:52 AM            
Speaking of heat disappation...I have yet to have a computer that doesn't have some problem staying cool enough to use...this comp its the CPU and/or Modem that doesn't stay cool enough. My Laptop it never stays cool enough to type on! The previous comp that I had the HD never stayed cool enough...ah, the fun of extra fans

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 23, 2000 01:39 PM            
SirOvenMitt - you probably just need to get more air moving in and out of that room - I have the same sorta problem here, with 3 PCs running 12 hours a day, 2 21" monitors, and a 17 incher, a _REALLY_ hot network hub, my DSL modem, and a Laser printer, all in about 450 cu ft of space

IP:

Saint_Proverbius@Ni!
posted October 24, 2000 10:57 PM            
[QUOTE]Actually it's because I do understand convective heat transfer that I don't buy into the focused air flow buzz.
Radiant heat transfer, capacity to store heat and temperature gradients are where it's at.

Slower, larger volumes, independent of extra fans, seem more reliable in my book.

It could be that companies just want to sell fans, but more likely, it's just that I live in a cold climate.
[QUOTE]
Actually, you're getting more radiant heat transfer with an open case.

I hate to sound like a country bumpkin, but if you put your pigs out in the open during the summer, they die. You put them in a building with fans, they don't die.

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted October 25, 2000 03:10 AM            
Top notch

I'll make sure that my computer wears its sun hat when playing outside.

Jim

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 25, 2000 08:40 AM            
As Jim noted - my computer is most certainly not out in the sun. It's down on the floor, the coolest part of the room, and any heat coming off of it gets out fast.

IP:

Cell
posted October 25, 2000 06:22 PM         
I prefer my pigs in the oven, well baked.

Unfortunately, most case manufacturers seem to like building convection ovens, too.

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 25, 2000 09:44 PM            
How about using a blow-dryer to cool it?

IP: