|
Author Topic:   don't want to lose the NGI server
peeet
posted October 16, 2000 02:12 PM         
hello LDA - i have a concern/suggestion:

seeing that the older demo will be locked out of the Master Server once the new version is released, i'm worried about losing the NGI server.

that server has been the best thing for multiplay ever since the Test 2.1 days. NGI is always online, and provides an excellent, stable connection. last night i played against some folks playing TM for the first time on NGI (they loved the game and were asking about the full version). anyway, it would be a shame to lose this awesome server.

do you (LDA) have any dialogue with NGI? i know they have always hosted a demo server, but maybe you could (should?) provide them with a copy of the full version, and hopefully they will host the game forever more!

please, LDA, help to save the NGI server! think about it - it will be in your best interest to make sure that anyone can play multiplayer at any time, right?

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted October 16, 2000 03:04 PM            
Peeet: FYI, there will be several servers running the Full Game version 24/7 supplied by the publisher of TM. These will be up once the game is published.

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for theTerrain Deformation Site
Forum admin for Terrain Deformation Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
Member of the Mining Guild
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted October 16, 2000 03:38 PM            
random, why does it seem you know everything?

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted October 16, 2000 04:03 PM            
Maybe becuase I have a weekly chat with Jim McNally about the status of Tread Marks

IP:

peeet
posted October 16, 2000 04:31 PM         
nice! thanks, RC (and AAA)

that's smart - wouldn't want folks buying the game and have nowhere to play it!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted October 16, 2000 09:27 PM            
what happens to those of us that have the old version, do we have to get the new version too? How does this work

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 16, 2000 09:43 PM            
The new version will be a patch for the old one - pretty big, though...

IP:

Karldar
posted October 17, 2000 04:50 AM            
Nice fraggin' on the demo server, Peeet. It was really cool finally gettin' to play again-I moved and have been workin' mucho overtime. I have to admit that the NGI server is always there for players(even though I wish that I could play with a larger variety of tanks), but I don't think that the new version of TM will necessarily spell the end of NGI's TM server. I can't see the old demo just going away anytime soon anyway. If it's locked out of the master server does that mean that you couldn't just type in the IP to get to it directly? Besides, if NGI's the only one with actual players on it instead of AI we could get in there and tell them to buy the new full version Anyway, that's what I think I think. I'm very tired-stupid overtime.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted October 17, 2000 03:39 PM            
so, whats going to happen the NGI server is just going to be available to us old timers who know the IP address?

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted October 17, 2000 03:40 PM            
Who knows - maybe they will switch to the full version - we can hope

IP:

peeet
posted October 17, 2000 04:36 PM         
(maybe only LDA can answer this)

did anyone in the TM community contact NGI to get them to host a server? has anyone contacted them at all? i thought about sending them a general "thank you" to let them know that it is utilized and appreciated, but never got around to it... maybe before the deadline nears, we should all email NGI to let them know how we feel, so NGI will continue on...

and as i posted previously, maybe LDA will send them a full version to encourage them to keep it up!

OK - i'm done worrying about it, esp. when AAA is going to set some servers up .

IP:

SirOvenMitt
posted October 18, 2000 11:03 AM         
I really enjoy the NGI server also. I have the full version but I played on a few servers last night and did not enjoy the weapons or the way the tanks drove and handled near as much as I enjoy the setup on NGI. I hope that if they run a full version server it is tuned nicely for some great multi play.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted October 18, 2000 02:39 PM            
does anyone know italian, because I can't make heads or tails out of the NGI homepage, I wanted to thank them. I couldn't make sense of the E-mail page. You would think that after 3 years of highschool spanish something would of made sense, but nothing didn't. Just goes to show you the quality of public highschools

IP:

peeet
posted October 18, 2000 02:42 PM         
LOL - yeah, i couldn't figure out their homepage either... i suppose we're just going to have to use a language converter

and, SirOvenMitt: i think the NGI server is set up with default weapons settings and default tank settings. that's another reason that i really like it, too. all too often, the only other servers that are up are 1-shot kills (i.e. Sheldon'e Death Zone) and crazy-modified servers (like "There is no Spoon!" and "Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough"). they have their place and are fun at times, but IMHO there's nothing like the game out-of-the-box!

[This message has been edited by peeet (edited October 18, 2000).]

IP:

SirOvenMitt
posted October 18, 2000 03:12 PM         
Well I could try to run a server but there are a few things I am unsure about.

A. My ISP does not like it to happen so the server would come up and down.

B. I am on a Cable modem and the Bandwidth with people on it might make for not so good game play.

C. The machine might not run the server that great. It's going to be a 333 processor or I might be able to use the amd 600, but am unsure.

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted October 18, 2000 03:24 PM            
In order to run a server for TM the recommended connection would be at a mininum a cable modem with not overloaded users on it or other system with good upstream and downstream data-transfers. Assume 14-28K connection per person and mutiply that by 8 for a decent number of players. Generally you don't want to run a TM server on much less than a T1 for a decent number of people...

IP:

SirOvenMitt
posted October 18, 2000 03:28 PM         
Ok another thing I remember reading (I think) was you could run a server and play on the server from the same machine. My machine is a amd 800 which might handle things better but I dont remember how to do this. And RC what is a decent amount of players? How many players should I cap the server at on a cable connection?

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted October 18, 2000 05:48 PM            
My personal experience is when i ran a server on my 36.6k it could hold me and 2 other guys but no more then that. I usually have to go on campus if i want to have more people in the game

IP: