|
Author Topic:   Vertical Aiming, Why we don't have it as i see it
Dudymas
posted October 12, 2000 07:06 PM            
Okay,this is pretty short and sweet for me:

It's almost EASIER to aim without verticle aiming, since you never have to calculate the 'angle of attack' as you could call it.
I really like a challenge, but on servers, that'd be TOO MUCH, can you imagine how that turret would wobble? I mean, what's the point in complicating things for just some extra range. I say LDA should allow you to press a FINE tuning button, in which all acceleration of every type slows so that you can snipe even on jittery servers. That would make everything so easier, if you didn't have to worry about where your tank popped up next as often, could we have the number pad key control it? Then we could change the degree of sniping mode (you could also call it something else since it helps you on servers a LOT i bet). Okay, let's see what everyone else has to say... again prolly!

IP:

SirOvenMitt
posted October 13, 2000 04:02 PM         
Okay I don't agree. Like I said before I was in the army I drove a tank and I know some tank tactics. If I am on a hill side and you are down in the valley all I have to do is raise my gun tube and fire, but this way I have to drive down the hill or what ever to get the tube even with you. Or the other way around if I am in the valley with you on the hill all I have to do is raise the tube and fire instead of having to find terran to get the tube up in the air or wait for you to drive off the hill. I am not saying they need to make the game where the tubes go up and down for everyone but at least MAKE IT A OPTION... The game looks great I love the weapons and the land scape but I can't play a tank game where I cant raise and lower my gun tube. We have had tanks since what World War 1?? And I am sure that the gun tube raised and lowered on all of them or the people would have lost the war for sure. Just my two cents worth.

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 13, 2000 05:33 PM            
Well, TM isn't what you're looking for if you want a tank sim. TM is an action game - and realism is not even ON TM's list of goals. The game would be less fun if there was vertical aiming, because everyone would sit on the top of a hill and plink at each other - not half as much fun as the way it is now...

IP:

SirOvenMitt
posted October 13, 2000 05:40 PM         
Well I am not looking for a tank sim either. I like the arcade feel of it all. And let me tell you if you are in a tank sitting ontop of a hill you wont be there long enough to get off a couple of rounds. I just like to be able to shoot while on most terrain with out having to get the whole tank lined up. But like I said it should at least be a option.

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted October 13, 2000 06:04 PM            
We recently tested out vertical aiming and found that it through off the game balance as we had designed it for Tread Marks.

The improved guidance makes the absense of vertical aiming far less noticable in game.

That said, we plan to design vertical aiming into the PS2 version....but we have a good year to work out the kinks....do we make it auto aiming or require manual adjustment?

As these decisions will have a major effect on the game play, they will be tested out carefully.

Jim

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted October 13, 2000 06:57 PM            
Isn't that what wasps and nukes and crusie missles were for? And a few other weapons on the full version. And think bout this to The computer tanks would slaughter us all if they could aim up n down. Think bout it, as skilled as ssome peoples are i think that would make the game just a bit difficult. Z-C for turning the turret. Arrow keys for movein the tank and then you all of a sudden got up and down keys. If anything should be added i think a center turret would be nice well at least i thoguht so when i first started playin. But i think we can all live without it. But just an idea??

IP:

Dudymas
posted October 25, 2000 04:10 PM            
Let me introduce you to M$onomics...

According to philosophy with which MS programs Windows... if you buy a $4 plate of speghetti and a $10 rug, then you can spill the speghetti on the rug and break the plate over it and sell the rug with the speghetti for $15 dollars, because of the time and money that went into making it.

Exagerated by a MICRON if you were to have an equivalent change in something's length... According to MS, thusly, if you pour $100 or gas into a $50,000 car and lite it on fire with a $0.05 match, you could re-sell the combination for $51,000 including the labor required to make the end result.

I'm sorry, but i don't agree with that to a certain degree... LDA, i don't care what you do to TM, just don't let your supervisor for programming the game be a guy who pours apple juice into a $1 portion of milk and sells it for 3 dollars... okay?

------------------
-----------
Hawk's LDA Asylum helper

IP:

Dudymas
posted October 25, 2000 04:34 PM            
has anyone ever put an inflated whoopee cushion into someone's bookbag at school, ESPECIALLY in a library?

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted October 25, 2000 04:45 PM            
Dudy, you've set a new standard for verbal encryption...and with the use of normal sounding phrases and fragments.

Yes, we'll continue to discard work that doesn't "fit" with the current product "feel".

...and nothing will be "kept", just because it took time.

Jim

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted October 25, 2000 05:44 PM            
Dudy - AHRG! How can anyone have a conversation with you?! You're just as bad on ICQ!

IP:

Dreamer
posted October 26, 2000 07:17 AM         
Hmm... vertical aiming for the PS2... That would mean: No network compatibility. Right?
I don't think I like that idea.

Btw.: Should anyone ever need a victim for verbal abuse, I volunteer.

--------------
I like Max. Best LucasArts invention ever.

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted October 26, 2000 01:29 PM            
I think Dudymas beat you to the "verbal abuse" position

IP:

Dudymas
posted October 27, 2000 09:32 PM            
oooh goodie, what's my pay as that at LDA then, huh huh? do i get to go to a president's debate about child mishief, mwahahahhahahahahahhhaahhahahaahah *cough, gag gag, cough* oooops, wrong pipe, i'll have to laugh some time later *cough* and for now i'll blame this on Kaeto for being a critic.

IP: