|
Author Topic:   DDM Info
Random Chaos (TC)
posted October 10, 2000 02:33 PM            
I HAVE SET UP A DDM DISCUSSION FORUM AT:
http://pub12.ezboard.com/ftreadmarksfrm8

I propose a Deadliest Death Match to be held in the next couple of months. Here's what we need:

- Someone to serve it - with enough players to be worthwhile (I'd say 16-32 players allowed).
- BWL and TC members able to make it.
- Everyone's invited

Here's what I'd recommend:

- We do this AFTER the new version of TM comes out (either that or those with the current Beta and those with the current Full Version would be unable to play with each other).

--RC

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (TC) (edited October 10, 2000).]

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted October 10, 2000 02:40 PM            
What modified weapons do people want in the DDM (please keep them BALANCED weapons)?

I recommend the following ones:
- War Sheep (slow tracking mines)
- Kangaroo Mines (slow tracking mines)
- Plasma Pulser (makes the laser seem boring)
- Colored Lasers* (why not have 6 colors of laser beams?)

*Colored lasers is dependent on a new component that LDA is looking into adding to the final TM version. I don't want people to have to download files first...

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Forum admin for Terrain Deformation Tread Marks Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Efflixi
posted October 10, 2000 06:40 PM            
I can host the server and my machine is powerful enough to host about 128 or more players. Now whether or not YOUR machines would be fast enough to handle that many is a different story. So say 32 players.

My opinion would be to have just the normal weapons. Nothing special. That way even if your playing TM for the first time and u happen to get on the server with DDM (and provided you read the manual) you would know what to expect. I remember someone posting about hearing a 'baaa' and wondering what the heck it was and then he got blown up by a sheep mine. I think the DDM should be done with the normal weapons and no modified ones.

I'm not even in the same state as my server right now tho. I should be back with it in about 3.5 weeks. That'll be right around the time that the new full version gets released and the time i buy it.

So say middle of Nov.?

------------------

IP:

Dreamer
posted October 11, 2000 04:47 AM         
What type of network connection do you have? I wouldn't recommend 32 players on anything less than a full T1...

IP:

Efflixi
posted October 11, 2000 09:16 AM            
A full T1

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted October 11, 2000 12:42 PM            
Actually, a 14.4 modem can handle 1 player. 14.4 modem speed is the max data transfer for any other player, so multiply that by the number of players you want to determine the connection needed...

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted October 11, 2000 03:27 PM            
were also going to need an official DDM winners website. For bragging rights of course.
Someone is going to need to handle the statistics, and take the pictures of the final frag screen for evidence. Also need to total up the frags. This could be a lot of work

[This message has been edited by coax (edited October 11, 2000).]

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted October 11, 2000 03:47 PM            
I could host the page for DDM - and if I am there take screen shots...and I HOPE to be there...

--RC

IP:

swisher
posted October 11, 2000 03:49 PM            
I'd love to play. I vote for no mods at all, too.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted October 11, 2000 04:13 PM            
should we limit amount of times you can kill with shadow, 'cause it's not really a reflection of skill?

IP:

Dreamer
posted October 11, 2000 04:16 PM         
Take the shadow out, I say. But that should be enough. It's supposed to be Tread Marks, after all. I would have to be relatively early in the evening, btw, for us Europeans to take part....

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 11, 2000 04:16 PM            
RC - are you on crack? The max data transfer rate defaults to 6k a second. A 14.4 can do less than 2k/sec.

IP:

Dudymas
posted October 11, 2000 05:48 PM            
ummmmmm, i vote for mods, and make the shadow keeper more fun than deadly, it isn't ALL about killing i it? i don't wanna come unless i KNOW i'm going to enjoy it, sorry, i'm just that way and i'd just tick you all off i sat around and goofed off each match like i can do.

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted October 12, 2000 02:22 PM            
Kaeto - the info I have from LDA is becuase, while you have burst rate to up to 10kps, the server can set a max transfer lower and the client will sink to it. It is designed to be set for a 14.4 modem to handle 1 connection - it always has been...ever since Beta 1.0.

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 12, 2000 02:40 PM            
The amount of data sent back and forth between you and the server is the lower of your data rate setting, and the servers. Most servers are at 6k (the default) or 10k. The minimum setting in the client is 2k a second.

While it's certainly POSSIBLE to only be sending 1k/sec of data back and forth, trust me, no server is - it would be 100% unplayable...

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted October 12, 2000 02:43 PM            
After serving, the average transfer speed is the equivlent of a 14.4...there burst times though...

Remember, LDA plays accross a shared 56K pipe of their island! Thats for ALL people that live on the island!

IP:

Hawk
posted October 12, 2000 03:34 PM            
I can do what you need for the DDM website - remember, jump.to/jumpgate was SUPPOSED to be the main site for the old one...I still have the form info for the signup sheet, and I can post readmes for the various mod weapons etc... Whatever

------------------
Jedi Master Hawk
The L33t Side Of The Force

IP:

Efflixi
posted October 12, 2000 04:46 PM            
I cant help with the website but i can run the server... is that ok with everyone? BTW the server is in California being hosted on a full T1. The server is a p3 733 w/ 256MBs of pc133 ram and Windows 2K Pro

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted October 12, 2000 04:55 PM            
Should be fine, Efflixi...its better than nothing

IP: